Official I Joined A Gym Thread

lets hear it bro
Umm, it was only 4 of us total two instructors. We started off with a warmup, w/e it was a little more intense than most warmups I'm used to and felt a bit like real exercise but w/e it was fine. We start off with the correct way to fall to prevent injury but I'm outrageously uncoordinated so I look like a moron trying to do it correctly. From there we did a little bit of getting back up to the feet after being taken down, blah blah I suck at it. We then start to do some hip escapes which I am also horrible at, and again I look retarded. I might be forgetting something, but I believe the last thing we did was work on armbars from the mount and guard. I was obviously outrageously bad at both forms of this, but especially from the mount, I had the most awkward time trying to transition from my knee on his ear and my other foot stepped over, to both feet stepped over. It was a lot easier from the guard and I thought I did ok all things considering. I didn't puke or anything, although I was exhausted at the end. Cliff notes: I'm awful at jiu-jitsu
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Umm, it was only 4 of us total two instructors. We started off with a warmup, w/e it was a little more intense than most warmups I'm used to and felt a bit like real exercise but w/e it was fine. We start off with the correct way to fall to prevent injury but I'm outrageously uncoordinated so I look like a moron trying to do it correctly. From there we did a little bit of getting back up to the feet after being taken down, blah blah I suck at it. We then start to do some hip escapes which I am also horrible at, and again I look retarded. I might be forgetting something, but I believe the last thing we did was work on armbars from the mount and guard. I was obviously outrageously bad at both forms of this, but especially from the mount, I had the most awkward time trying to transition from my knee on his ear and my other foot stepped over, to both feet stepped over. It was a lot easier from the guard and I thought I did ok all things considering. I didn't puke or anything, although I was exhausted at the end. Cliff notes: I'm awful at jiu-jitsu
thats not that bad, i was expecting something like you forgot to tap and went to sleep or something

Didn't do any defensive stuff really besides rolling from a fall into a position with my hand covering the exposed side of my head. I imagine it'll take quite a bit of time of classes before I'm rolling because I'm just god awful.

Ran 5k today took about 26 min. did bench, inclines, declines and military presses, dips as well. been lazy with the core exercises such as squats and deadlifts. haven't been doing them lately. gotta get back into it or my upper body is going to look disporportionately bigger than my legs.

Ran 5k today took about 26 min. did bench, inclines, declines and military presses, dips as well. been lazy with the core exercises such as squats and deadlifts. haven't been doing them lately. gotta get back into it or my upper body is going to look disporportionately bigger than my legs.
My problem is, my legs have always been really big, and nothing on the upper body. So I want to build the upper body, but I know even though my legs are still way bigger, they're not nearly as strong and lean as they used to be. So I figure I have to still do both.I dunno what my point was really.
Didn't do any defensive stuff really besides rolling from a fall into a position with my hand covering the exposed side of my head. I imagine it'll take quite a bit of time of classes before I'm rolling because I'm just god awful.
how long was the class?i like to start guys with at least some guard work right away as it takes a long time to work up that cardio and there is much less chance of getting hurt there imoi work takedowns and defence gradually later when i know they will practice good control

Only an hour. For you or anybody who trains bjj, where did you get your gi. I trained in shorts and a t shirt and it was incredibly inconvenient. I def want to get a gi, and some kind of cup as soon as possible.

My problem is, my legs have always been really big, and nothing on the upper body. So I want to build the upper body, but I know even though my legs are still way bigger, they're not nearly as strong and lean as they used to be. So I figure I have to still do both.I dunno what my point was really.
lol. I'm still relatively proportionate but my upper body is stronger than my lower. I can bench 225 but can only squat 185. that's no good. I def. need to do both too.
Only an hour. For you or anybody who trains bjj, where did you get your gi. I trained in shorts and a t shirt and it was incredibly inconvenient. I def want to get a gi, and some kind of cup as soon as possible.
i always thought training with a tight top and shorts were the best way to go. e.g. GSP. you would never wear a gi in UFC. The gi gives your opponent something to choke you out with and at the very least something to grab onto. I guess for some bjj classes everyone has to wear a gi but if you have a choice I woudn't.

Just got back from a weeklong camping trip. It was awesome and we hiked a ton. I think we did no less that 6 miles a day. We were in the Sierras and did some parts of the PCT intermingled with a few peaks. Nothing outrageous or anything the highest we did was the Sierra Buttes at 8500 feet. View was amazing though! I'll be back in the gym tonight to start the workout as modified by AVS and see what I think about it.Grinder - Just take it easy and soak up as much info each session. No one can be a Blackbelt instantly and everyone has started where you are right now. Just remember that as with weight lifting form is everything. Work on the form and everything else will come along as it should. *Disclaimer* I have never taken a bjj class but I did attain a blue belt in Kenpo.

shorts and t is way better for you, they have so much less to grab, you'll see when you do get your gi...ps, watch out for the front lapel chokei've had a gi forever, like the koral mkm myself, if you can, avoid white, blood stains show easier on white
i always thought training with a tight top and shorts were the best way to go. e.g. GSP. you would never wear a gi in UFC. The gi gives your opponent something to choke you out with and at the very least something to grab onto. I guess for some bjj classes everyone has to wear a gi but if you have a choice I woudn't.
bjj by definition has a gi, submission wrestling or no-gi jiu jitsu is without, and i think its better to learn with a gi and then lose it later if you wish, most of the best guys in the world train/trained gi so i think there is something to say for itmma and jits are not the same, for mma of course lose the gi
shorts and t is way better for you, they have so much less to grab, you'll see when you do get your gi...ps, watch out for the front lapel chokei've had a gi forever, like the koral mkm myself, if you can, avoid white, blood stains show easier on white
lol. how hard do you train?
bjj by definition has a gi, submission wrestling or no-gi jiu jitsu is without, and i think its better to learn with a gi and then lose it later if you wish, most of the best guys in the world train/trained gi so i think there is something to say for itmma and jits are not the same, for mma of course lose the gi
fair enough.
lol. how hard do you train?
in my years of training i have had:my ribs broken three times, seperated twice and broken someones elses twicetendons and ligaments popped and snappednose broken three timesleg broken three timescountless black eyes, bloody noses and brusies that would make you think i was in a car accidentwouldn't trade it for he world, but i hate doing laundry, so my gi is black because blood barely shows
I'm ideally going to do classes in both. I'd like to be in the gym as much as my schedule will allow doing bjj and muay thai
sounds cool, you in a gracie school? carlson or gracie?
in my years of training i have had:my ribs broken three times, seperated twice and broken someones elses twicetendons and ligaments popped and snappednose broken three timesleg broken three timescountless black eyes, bloody noses and brusies that would make you think i was in a car accidentwouldn't trade it for he world, but i hate doing laundry, so my gi is black because blood barely shows
umm, guess i'm a pussy, that school you go to is definitely too intense for me. let's just say, I prob wouldn't mess around with a guy like you :club:
avsfan *pats self on back for getting Gooch to join this thread. :ts
no doubt.
umm, guess i'm a pussy, that school you go to is definitely too intense for me.
to each their own, while it isn't for everyone, i kind of like the pain myself, when i was training karate a lot we would be black and blue all the time and you get an endorphin release from that and it kind of grows on you after a while
let's just say, I prob wouldn't mess around with a guy like you :club:
i'm the nicest guy you'll ever meet, even when i'm on tequilarolled for two hours today, threw the mats outside and rolled in the sun, it was hot as hell but so much fun

I guess since I'm a chick I don't really do weights. Although I probably should to tone my arms.I start off with 20 minutes of running track and then start with the abs.

I guess since I'm a chick I don't really do weights. Although I probably should to tone my arms.I start off with 20 minutes of running track and then start with the abs.
Pics or GTFO
Pics or GTFO
Since you asked, im gonna post one of my pictures up. Its not that great, but my abs are a work in progress. Im TRYING to make it look better......

post-39727-1247944345_thumb.jpg

Since you asked, im gonna post one of my pictures up. Its not that great, but my abs are a work in progress. Im TRYING to make it look better......
hell you look like you're in great shape, keep it up
to each their own, while it isn't for everyone, i kind of like the pain myself, when i was training karate a lot we would be black and blue all the time and you get an endorphin release from that and it kind of grows on you after a whilei'm the nicest guy you'll ever meet, even when i'm on tequilarolled for two hours today, threw the mats outside and rolled in the sun, it was hot as hell but so much fun
The most I would tolerate is probably getting bruised. I used to train in Karate for several years and I would get banged up but never break anything. The broken noses, ribs and seperated ligaments is prob too much for me. Glad ur a nice dude. :club: When I drink tequila I usually get smashed.
wow, ur hot.oh yah, I didn't work out today but played 50 min. of squash, did some wide and close grip pull ups and curls yesterday.did some trap and skeet shooting today instead. not really working out but takes time out of my day.