Official I Joined A Gym Thread

You are not missing out on any thing. You can do this to increase recovery though"Contrast Showers/BathsContrast showers and baths are one of the easiest methods for speeding recovery after an intense workout. The hot water stimulates dilation of the blood vessels, while the cold water produces constriction. This contrast effect aids in the mobilization and removal of metabolic wastes, and brings fresh blood and nutrients to the damaged area to speed recovery.The premise here is simple: Treat the area trained most intensely (e.g. low back following heavy deadlifts) with 1 minute of hot water, followed by 30 seconds of cold water; this is considered one circuit. A few simple rules should be adhered to when taking contrast showers and baths: * Hot and cold water should be as hot/cold as tolerable * Perform for 3-5 circuits * Always end with COLD"-from http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/articl...:+Recovery+101/ click for more info on recovery.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jesus, you have an answer for everything don't you? Well, I usually start warm and progress to cold for about 10 minutes to cool down. Just always wondered if I was slowing my metabolism down significantly to miss out on some burned calories. I'll try the contrasts sometime. Thanks again.

Jesus, you have an answer for everything don't you? Well, I usually start warm and progress to cold for about 10 minutes to cool down. Just always wondered if I was slowing my metabolism down significantly to miss out on some burned calories. I'll try the contrasts sometime. Thanks again.
Sometimes I give an answer that is ahead of the question. I wanted to actually give you a answer in regards to something that makes a big difference. In doing that I actually overlooked the real answer to your question. here is a better answer to your question, :club:. cold weather and cold water actually burns more calories than hot weather and Hot water. So the cold is a better metabolic stimulator than hot. which means you are actually getting the most of it. The real way to sabotage your metabolism is to go to sleep soon after working out. the metabolic affects of working out(especially after a leg workout) can last several hours. That is why many professionals workout first thing in the morning.

gonna start bjj this week i think, we have an mma academy about 1 minute away by car and i've always wanted to do it, so meh gl me. Might also try some muay thai stuff depending on how hard the bjj rapes me

gonna start bjj this week i think, we have an mma academy about 1 minute away by car and i've always wanted to do it, so meh gl me. Might also try some muay thai stuff depending on how hard the bjj rapes me
having done both i find bjj is a lot harder physically, but both would be great
any advice that you wish you had before you started?
if you don't get these from your teacher then just remember these small mantras-position before submissionsand -angles make stranglesgi is a much slower game that imo is a benefit to start with if possible, then move to no gi, your positioning will be much better that way i think

Will be starting with the gi. First class is tomorrow evening, if I enjoy it and don't get mangled too hard I'm going to get the unlimited classes for a month, and probably try to do about 3 classes a week, if possible, with an occasional mma class in addition to muay thai/bjj. Dude mentioned that wearing a cup is optional, but for you guys who have rolled quite a bit, what do you think?

Hi guys, just a few random questions1) For upper body work, is it best to work your way from top to bottom, or bottom to top? eg. start with shoulders, end with abs or start with abs, end with shoulders. Or does it make any difference?2) Is there a sizeable advantage to using free weights as opposed to machines? Why is this?3) Using the leg curl machine, for the final few reps, I often have to push so hard that my back slightly curls. I assume this is wrong. Is the weight I use too much? Any general advice for this?4) Any tips for the arms, biceps specifically? I feel that I am not very familiar with the best excercises to do so as to increase arm power. Also incidentally, what is the best excercise to increase power for arm-wrestling?Thanks for responses

Will be starting with the gi. First class is tomorrow evening, if I enjoy it and don't get mangled too hard I'm going to get the unlimited classes for a month, and probably try to do about 3 classes a week, if possible, with an occasional mma class in addition to muay thai/bjj. Dude mentioned that wearing a cup is optional, but for you guys who have rolled quite a bit, what do you think?
I use this and find it really comfortable. Def a good investment after you've taken feet to the groin.http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/pr...=500&page=1If you decide that you're going to stick with jiu-jitsu also look at picking up some rash guards.
i don't wear one myself for jits, i find it helps me work my technique betterfor muay thai yes, i can take a kick or a punch but a knee to the groin is where i draw the line
Hi guys, just a few random questions1) For upper body work, is it best to work your way from top to bottom, or bottom to top? eg. start with shoulders, end with abs or start with abs, end with shoulders. Or does it make any difference?2) Is there a sizeable advantage to using free weights as opposed to machines? Why is this?3) Using the leg curl machine, for the final few reps, I often have to push so hard that my back slightly curls. I assume this is wrong. Is the weight I use too much? Any general advice for this?4) Any tips for the arms, biceps specifically? I feel that I am not very familiar with the best excercises to do so as to increase arm power. Also incidentally, what is the best excercise to increase power for arm-wrestling?Thanks for responses
1. start with biggest muscle first, then work your way down in size(chest or back first)2. imo yes, you work more muscles with free weights3. cleaner movements are better, but cheating the last few reps won't kill you4. no idea about arm wrestling but chin ups of all varieties are great to add to the normal curl, hammer curl, close and wide grip curls routines
1. start with biggest muscle first, then work your way down in size(chest or back first)2. imo yes, you work more muscles with free weights3. cleaner movements are better, but cheating the last few reps won't kill you4. no idea about arm wrestling but chin ups of all varieties are great to add to the normal curl, hammer curl, close and wide grip curls routines
thanks
thanks
no worries
did a spin class sat morning. not as fun as i thought. those bikes really hurt my crotch
your seat wasn't set up properly then, adjust it next time and you'll be good to go
seat prob too high?
could be, your leg should almost fully extend in the bottom positions without having to move your body to one side or another, you can also adjust the seat forward or back too, imo i want to be on the seat, but leaning a bit more towards it being back more, meaning the less seat i touch the better, if the seat is too far forward it causes problems