Official I Joined A Gym Thread

Good Stuff
So I like the leg day in there, I was basically using the running (I do some Mtn Biking as well) for my leg work, so that will strengthen that up. Why do you suggest only doing one Ab exercise at a time? On the one arm dumbbell chest press, I have done a similar exercise except instead of being on the bench you work on the ball. I'm not sure if it matters or not which one is done, but let me know if there is a huge difference between the two.Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why do you suggest only doing one Ab exercise at a time?
The simple answer. :club: Because that is all they need. Doing more will not make your abs show more. spot reduction is a myth you can not burn fat off your abs or any other area by working that area out. your body will take fat from where it sees fit. your abs are like other muscles except they like fore arms recover quicker. that is why I added them on day three too. So instead of working them once per rotation you are now working them twice per rotation. I am also treating the abs like other muscles in your workout and since I am suggesting only three sets per body part i see no productive reason to treat the abs differently..other than they recover quicker. also the alternating muscle group with abs is the lower back. I also feel it is more productive to alternate the lower back with the quads. alternating both would be excessive. So I choose the more productive muscle group to alternate with lower back. have fun alternating between squats and deadlifts, lol :ts.I did a lil more thinking I think you will achieve more productive results with a rep range of 12-15. and remember to progress. I suggest; when you can perform all three sets for the max of the rep range with excellent form increase your weight.If you can not perform all three sets for the minimum of your rep range decrease your weight next time.
On the one arm dumbbell chest press, I have done a similar exercise except instead of being on the bench you work on the ball. I'm not sure if it matters or not which one is done, but let me know if there is a huge difference between the two.
I prefer doing them on a bench. the stability ball adds bouncyness which can also assit the weight up this is the trade off for decreased stability. I feel the exercise is better on a stable bench. The off balance challenge will still be there.and the width of the ball makes it more stable than you may think. try one arm chest presses on the bench and let me know what you think.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Your very welcome. :)and stick to the hard exercises! avoid flys, pec decs, decline and incline. Just grind out the fundamentals.

Still consistent with my 5x5, just been too lazy or indifferent to post my workouts. I found some form check vids I made a while back on the main lifts in my workout: cleans, squats, OH press, bb row, bench if anyone is interested.

Still consistent with my 5x5, just been too lazy or indifferent to post my workouts. I found some form check vids I made a while back on the main lifts in my workout: cleans, squats, OH press, bb row, bench if anyone is interested.
Sure, I feel my squat form is terrible as of late.

Went on vacation but still managed to keep up pretty much since the hotel had a workout room and I did some biking. Home on SundayMon-Cardio Good run on treadmill and was a little worried since I hadn't been on it for a week but maxed out really good so I'd give it a 9.5Tue- took an off day, actually overslept, probably jet lag.Wed- Upper bodyGood workout this morning Shoulder pressdumbell chest presslat bar for backtri-extensionsbicep curls 3x15 on all setsskipped the bent over flys since I was running short of time and was almost finished when I caught it.

Sure, I am interested.

heres a start avsfanimo1. excercise should be fun, if you are active you are headed on the right track, start small and as you get in better shape you will naturally want to add more and or harder things2. try to not do the same thing all the time, running for instance on a treadmill is useless i my mind after a certain point as your muscles will adapt to the excercise and minimize the work it was to do. the whole key to crossfit and the p90x system is to change excercises, on this they have it right3. i think a mix of cardio and strength training is a must, how much is up to your goals 90/10 60/40 50/50 ?4. free weights always if possible, they work so many smaller muscles as they work the big ones5. ladies don't want to get "bulky"? lower weights and higher reps done fasteri'll put down my week here, ask anything you want about any part of it that you would like expandedjiu jitsu and kickboxing 4 times a week for 2 hours per session, great cardio and great strength buildingi walk about 20+ miles per day on days i work at the restaurantbiking, downhill for about 4 hours once or twice a week, xc for about 2-4 hours per weekstretching daily if possible, some yoga in there but mostly a good boxing/martial arts stretchrock climbing, depends on the weather, but 1-2 times per week, about 2 hours sessionsgym, barely even in the summer, in the winter will do 1 hour of cardio broken into any of these: stairmaster, rowing, biking, treadmill and then some weights which i really don't like that much, most of my weight training is fighting oriented so it doesn't apply to most peoples needs and wantscircuits 4 (if i don't get lazy) times a week, circuits are 2 rounds of 10 minutes, 30 second intervals of the following:running in place high knees with hands upsit upspush upsburpeesfast punches moving in alternating forward, left, right, up and downsquats with hands held outlungeshindu pushupsrunning in place and punchingsky reach push upssitupsburpeessquat and front teep kickbear walkreverse lungesprawlsfast punches moving forward, back and side to sideskippiesfast punches running in placeplanksthe order gets mixed up here and there and when i am a real sadist we wil do the second 10 minutes in 15 second intervalsthen usually 2 rounds of 5 minutes for abs in 30 second intervals, i'll post these if anyone wants themi do some dumbell work after these that are boxing specificin the winter i ski, tour and mountain climb in place of biking and rock climbingmy buddy is trying to get me into stand up paddling

Been a while since I checked in, but it's also been a while since I've had a consistent week of exercising so that makes sense. I've been all over the place the past few weeks so it's been hard to stick to a routine but I've still been fitting in runs and stuff where I can. Tonight, I started the sprints that Guap suggested a while back. I did 12 of about 50 yards (I estimated) with a minute rest in between. I was definitely sluggish by the last few, so that was good. I did an 800M run as a warm up and jogged/walked 800M as a cool down. Tomorrow is abs and then I'll be doing stairs again Friday. Stairs have become my favorite new routine of the summer. But I certainly don't think that on my last few steps of each set.

wow guys, too much reading in this thread loljust dropping by to say I'm still working out. Ran 2 miles today and did some back and bi work. Down to 201.4 lbs now. Woot! Hard to say, but I think i can be ripped at 180 to 185.

Remember to increase the weight next time then. progression is key. Good job staying on track!
It's weird, I haven't really increased weight the last few weeks but the exercises are more controlledand I actually feel more sore after the workouts so I still feel like i'm progressing and will look to adda little more soon.Ran again this morning, good run.
It's weird, I haven't really increased weight the last few weeks but the exercises are more controlledand I actually feel more sore after the workouts so I still feel like i'm progressing and will look to adda little more soon.
You know what, I totally agree with what you are doing and in the long run you will be able to progress better because of what you are doing (you are actually learning to recruit more muscle fibers into the movements this way). I actually will not increase my weight until I can do two workouts back to back hitting my target reps with perfect and I mean perfect form.
Been a while since I checked in, but it's also been a while since I've had a consistent week of exercising so that makes sense. I've been all over the place the past few weeks so it's been hard to stick to a routine but I've still been fitting in runs and stuff where I can. Tonight, I started the sprints that Guap suggested a while back. I did 12 of about 50 yards (I estimated) with a minute rest in between. I was definitely sluggish by the last few, so that was good. I did an 800M run as a warm up and jogged/walked 800M as a cool down. Tomorrow is abs and then I'll be doing stairs again Friday. Stairs have become my favorite new routine of the summer. But I certainly don't think that on my last few steps of each set.
Keep checking in, :club:. I think Gooch may have some excellent info for you.

Hello Gooch and Welcome to the thread! I think Gooch has lots of good info on leading an active lifestyle out of the gym and also brings some great tips and experience with Crossfit style trainning.

2. try to not do the same thing all the time, running for instance on a treadmill is useless i my mind after a certain point as your muscles will adapt to the excercise and minimize the work it was to do. the whole key to crossfit and the p90x system is to change excercises, on this they have it right
You are correct about the fact muscles will adapt. They can also adapt to running off the tread mill. To prevent the muscles from adapting ppl must constantly challenge them whether this is on a tread mill or not is not the real issue. Of course running or walking different courses outside can challenge the muscle in non obvious ways. I think crossfit works because it mentally stimulates ppl in different ways so they can take on extreme caloric trainning session without burning out. I think p90x is garbage. To make physique mass and strength gains you really have to grind out the progress on the basic exercises and learn to recruit more muscle fibers into executing those basic movements
5. ladies don't want to get "bulky"? lower weights and higher reps done faster
For the record I am a big advocate of the 12-15 rep range. women can experiment with other rep ranges even the low ones like 6-8 with out too much concern for adding muscles. for women to add muscles they have to increase their testosterone intake(drugs) the estrogen in womens bodies will go along way in preventing them from bulking up. Also, fast ballistic movements are excellent for increasing strenght. women should not fear or shy away from normal controlled reps with proper form.
sit upspush upsburpeesfast punches moving in alternating forward, left, right, up and downsquats with hands held outlungeshindu pushupsrunning in place and punchingsky reach push upssitupsburpeessquat and front teep kickbear walkreverse lungesprawlsfast punches moving forward, back and side to sideskippiesfast punches running in placeplanks
you have experience with a awesome range of body weight exercises. I hope Dolfan takes note of this. Socal_j is also active in jujitsu!I have a suggestion for you Gooch. We here are big on The Janda Situp please take time and check this out;
we are like the the cult of the Janda Situp here, lol.
my buddy is trying to get me into stand up paddling
Dude, Awesome! I would love it if you posted some of you extreme trainning here
legskettlebell swings one handed or two handeddumbbell squats 3 sets of 12-15 repsdumbbell dead lifts 3 sets of 12-15 repsstanding calf raises 3 sets of 12-15 reps
is nowkettlebell swings one handed or two handed*dumbbell dead lifts 3 sets of 12-15 reps*dumbbell squats 3 sets of 12-15 repsstanding calf raises 3 sets of 12-15 repsI lhave switched the deadlifts and squat order in my routine. I feel the deadlifts give a good warm up to the squats. The squats are more challenging on my gripp so I like them at the end.*switched
Keep checking in, :club:. I think Gooch may have some excellent info for you.
I have to say those sprints were obviously working some shit in my legs that had been dormant because I am SORE. Did a good set of abs last night, and will be doing steps at the stadium tonight.
Hello Gooch and Welcome to the thread!
thx bro
You are correct about the fact muscles will adapt. They can also adapt to running off the tread mill. To prevent the muscles from adapting ppl must constantly challenge them whether this is on a tread mill or not is not the real issue. Of course running or walking different courses outside can challenge the muscle in non obvious ways. I think crossfit works because it mentally stimulates ppl in different ways so they can take on extreme caloric trainning session without burning out. I think p90x is garbage. To make physique mass and strength gains you really have to grind out the progress on the basic exercises and learn to recruit more muscle fibers into executing those basic movements
i don't run very much at all due to very bad knees, but when i did, i would though in some change of pace in there to really max the heart rate and then slow to recover, as i said most of my training is for fight fitness so beeing able to recover quickly between rounds is what i was going for, change the running route frequently, and do hills, running up hills is great for building strong legsnow i just run to do a quick warm up of the legs, any serious extended leg work is done on the bike and involves as much hills and i can get, seeing as i live in a ski resort, there is no shortage of them
For the record I am a big advocate of the 12-15 rep range. women can experiment with other rep ranges even the low ones like 6-8 with out too much concern for adding muscles. for women to add muscles they have to increase their testosterone intake(drugs) the estrogen in womens bodies will go along way in preventing them from bulking up. Also, fast ballistic movements are excellent for increasing strenght. women should not fear or shy away from normal controlled reps with proper form.
i can c/p some stuff on reps and % of max for anyone who wants them from another buddy who is on his masters in this, its not my thing so i never paid too much attention but i'll go get it if anyone wants it, he lifts hard and heavyfor me, when i do hit the gym i want a combination of strength without losing speed or adding too much size as i don't want to fight above lightweight, i will do a number of lower weight high rep sets (as muhc as 50) and one low rep heavy set, for punching i don't want the muscles to get used to slower movements (this is something that was passed on to me by my boxing coach and since he has trained world champs i just take his word for it, no personal research)repeated boxing movements done fairly quickly gives me good stamina and keeps muscle growth slow, but still growth
you have experience with a awesome range of body weight exercises. I hope Dolfan takes note of this. Socal_j is also active in jujitsu!I have a suggestion for you Gooch. We here are big on The Janda Situp please take time and check this out;
we are like the the cult of the Janda Situp here, lol.
good to note, i do those sit ups already, thanksour situp circuits consist of variations of these in 15 or 30 second sets for 3 or 5 minutes:-sit up-sit up with a double crossover at top-sit up with 3 punches at top (left right left if standard, right left right if southpaw)-crunch feet down-crunch feet up-crunch hold for 3 seconds-bicyles-leg raises to 45 degrees, toes pointed, legs straight, HEAD OFF GROUND (very important for all those)-same as leg raises but rotate in small cirlces, first counter then clockwise-scissor crossovers-flutter kicks-janda-on side, knees brought up to chest and extended out-half sitting, legs in and out straight with arms out and in, we call them rows, might need to film this one-pike position reach for toes-planks-plank with one arm straight out-plank with one leg crossed over-arms and legs straight out, touch elbow to opposite knee, try to get to outside of knee, might have to film this to, change side, rinse repeat-and this is the coup de grace, one leg straight out toes pointed about 4 inches off ground, the other at at least 45 degrees pointed better if closer to 90, reach for upper legs toes with both handsi'll put together some fighting related excercises for this thread over the next while
TRB05, I have decided to start trainning with the 3 on 1 off program I suggested above. I will be experimenting with a few things and will give feedback about it here. I have made one adjustment to the progrma already. I have moved legs to the second day. so the i am currently structuring the program this way;abs/chest/shoulders/tricepslegsneck/back/traps/biceps/forearm/griprest/cardioThis will give the shoulders a 48 hour rest between the push of overhead pressing and the pull of upright rows for trapshere is the routine i will be doing;abs/chest/shoulders/tricepsab roll outs or Janda situps 1-3 sets of 30 reps*dumbbell pull overs 3 sets of 12-15 reps (isometric parts of this movement are a great warm up to do before pressing. it also stimulates the back just enough to aid in supporting pressing movements.)heavy hammer swingsdumbbell chest press 3 sets of 12-15 repsoverhead dumbbell press or overhead kettlebell press 3 sets of 12-15 repsdips
Finally back to the gym today. Been way too long. Probably lost any progress I had going, especially cardio wise.Started this today though. Though I was going off memory, and for some reason thought you had the hammer curls in there. Didn't do hammer swings or dips. By hammer swings, do you mean with a sledgehammer, or is that like the cable pull thing? (Or would that work for it if not?) I actually forgot about the dips, but I would need to do assisted ones anyway, and I was pretty wiped from just doing 2 sets of everything instead of 3. I didn't want to go too hard on the first day and be too sore to move tomorrow. Was a really good workout even missing a few things. Also did the 12 minute warmup on the elliptical.
I have to say those sprints were obviously working some shit in my legs that had been dormant because I am SORE. Did a good set of abs last night, and will be doing steps at the stadium tonight.
Awesome! Way to get back on track! EL Guapo Has some awesome info an experience on Sprinting and Running.
i can c/p some stuff on reps and % of max for anyone who wants them from another buddy who is on his masters in this, its not my thing so i never paid too much attention but i'll go get it if anyone wants it, he lifts hard and heavy
Go for it. We have more than a few ppl here who use Rippetoes "Starting Strength" I think that will either affirm what they are doing or give them something to think about.
for me, when i do hit the gym i want a combination of strength without losing speed or adding too much size as i don't want to fight above lightweight, i will do a number of lower weight high rep sets (as muhc as 50) and one low rep heavy set, for punching i don't want the muscles to get used to slower movements (this is something that was passed on to me by my boxing coach and since he has trained world champs i just take his word for it, no personal research)repeated boxing movements done fairly quickly gives me good stamina and keeps muscle growth slow, but still growth
Sounds like solid advice.It seems like fight trainning is getting hip to ballistic strength/endurance sport specific trainning such as Kettlebells and Macebell trainning. these techniques really show there are alternatives to low rep grinds for strength gains plus these exercise challenge cardiovascular system beyond scientifically perceived possible levels...Awesome stuff!
i'll put together some fighting related excercises for this thread over the next while
Awesome! Please do! I know there are more than few ppl here that should be interestedThank you! for taking the time out to contribute to the thread!what do you think of Krav Maga and Catch Wrestling?
Finally back to the gym today. Been way too long. Probably lost any progress I had going, especially cardio wise.Started this today though. Though I was going off memory, and for some reason thought you had the hammer curls in there. Didn't do hammer swings or dips. By hammer swings, do you mean with a sledgehammer, or is that like the cable pull thing? (Or would that work for it if not?) I actually forgot about the dips, but I would need to do assisted ones anyway, and I was pretty wiped from just doing 2 sets of everything instead of 3. I didn't want to go too hard on the first day and be too sore to move tomorrow. Was a really good workout even missing a few things. Also did the 12 minute warmup on the elliptical.
You are doing the 3 day on one day off routine? Or are you working your whole body in one workout?I do heavy sledge hammer swings. I mainly do these to warm up my rotator cuff, shoulders and chest before I start pressing. I suffered a slight tear to my rotator cuff a few years ago while moving my sound booth. So I do everything I can to keep that injury from flaring up. You can just ignore that exercise. I just listed it because i do it. It is not the cable axe pull thing.when getting in the grove it can be ok to do as little as one set per exercise. I suggest working up to three sets. it is ok to take your time if you are getting sore doing one or two sets wait to your body doesnt get sore before adding more sets. I say milk it. If you can get gains from doing less, why add more?I am goin to make a order change to day one now. the dumbbell pullovers are sapping my performance in there current position.An remember the warm up is just to get the blood pumping and the body heated up. Hot showers are also helpful preworkout.way to get back to it Kurt.
ab roll outs or Janda situps 1-3 sets of 30 reps*dumbbell pull overs 3 sets of 12-15 reps (isometric parts of this movement are a great warm up to do before pressing. it also stimulates the back just enough to aid in supporting pressing movements.)heavy hammer swingsdumbbell chest press 3 sets of 12-15 repsoverhead dumbbell press or overhead kettlebell press 3 sets of 12-15 repsdips
So i have found that the dumbbell pullovers are not working in there current postion they are sapping my tricep strength and weakening my ability to perform the other pressing movements. I moved them to the end of my workout and have found them to be a excellent finisher. they really open up the chest an shoulders and fry the triceps when performed at the end of the routine. I really like them last.so the routine for day 1 is now;ab roll outs or Janda situps 1-3 sets of 30 repsdumbbell chest press 3 sets of 12-15 repsoverhead dumbbell press or overhead kettlebell press 3 sets of 12-15 repsdips***dumbbell pull overs 3 sets of 12-15 reps ***denotes order change
An remember the warm up is just to get the blood pumping and the body heated up. Hot showers are also helpful preworkout.
Speaking of showers, I usually take a cold shower after working out to slow down my sweating (which usually doesn't). I have been curious if I am losing out on some burned calories? If so, is it a significant amount?