Official I Joined A Gym Thread

Got in a nice run yesterday ... well nice for me. Ran a little over a mile, the thing was I was only going to run a mile and at about the 3/4 mile I was really feeling good, so I bumped my pace and was cruising for the last 1/4 mile. Since I still felt good I bumped the pace a little more and ran almost another 1/4 mile. I am trying to regain some running endurance but I also want to be able to run it at a good pace. Still checking into HRM's and hopefully I will get one soon, so I can really start to work on the zone training when i run.
Very nice. My favorite runs are always the ones where I keep going for longer than I planned because I still feel fresh. Good stuff.
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went to the gym last night at 8:30pm. Again it was good because there were fewer people and I could really get some uninterrupted work done. Did the same basic workout as Sunday. I think I forgot to say that I also worked out on Monday doing some Chest and Back work. I will probably follow up the same Tomorrow. Gonna do another run tonight as that is all I will have time for.I am thinking of redesigning my schedule to somehow get to the gym later. I was always going directly after work and consequently that is when EVERYONE shows up to the gym. Of all my gym sessions in the last few months, the one on sunday and the one yesterday were by far the best workouts I have gotten in. I try to do a lot in a short period of time so when there are 5 douches each laying claim to something and trying to talk to their friends about how buff they are getting because of this that and the other thing while I am just trying to get in my workout and GTFO, it fricken tilts me.

It's not the most awful thing ever, you can always take a nice break in between "sets". I was out of town for work until yesterday, so I didn't get anything aside from abs and push ups in. I think I'm going for an easy run tonight and then probably stairs again tomorrow. The weather here has been ridiculously nice lately. I'm loving it.
Also, nice work on still working something in even though you were out of town!
Also, nice work on still working something in even though you were out of town!
Thanks. I just took advantage of some floor space in the hotel room. Better than nothing.

Almost 3 days with no posts? I have been slacking for a couple of weeks now, recommitting myself starting today. I weighed in at 227 lbs this morning, want to be 215 by August 24, but preferably 210. I think I got bored with my workout routine, so I am looking into something a little different, not real sure what yet though.

Yeah, I think everyone got bored of marking in what they were doing on a daily basis ...Went on Friday night and had a great chest and back workout. Took Saturday off.Sunday went and did arms and shoulders. The good thing is my shoulder is holding up, so I think that injury is all healed up now and I can continue on with some good weight training. I am absolutely LOVING the Janda situps. They really are low impact on the back and they have some bite to them. I do those as well as the ab rolls and it seems to be working. Will give more results in a few months, but I can already see some difference (not much mind you but enough to get excited about).I am going to try to go to the gym at 8:30 again tonight, so we will see how this works into my schedule.

I have not worked out in almost 2 weeks. Our client services manager resigned a couple weeks ago, and I have been working no less than 12 hour days which has done a couple things, left me no time and too tired too work out, and wrecked my back. I was shuffling like an 80 year old last week, got a massage on Friday which was needed. Hopefully things will have calmed down and I can get back to it, even if they are light workouts, this week.

Went to the gym on both of my days off (Sunday and Monday) for the first time in about a month I think. Didn't have the greatest workouts but at least I went. Squats, Leg Press, HamCurls, Calf Press, Deadlifts, Shoulder press, shrugs, lateral raises, and some running and elliptical. Diet went well yesterday, it really isn't difficult if I don't let myself say "fuck it I'm having that" 10 times a day.Guap- Sucks about the long days, I work long days sometimes and it kills any motivation to make it to the gym, I try to go before work, but the day after a long day its impossible to get up early enough.

Guap, I just finished my fourth week of Flying 200's (once a week). I think next week I'm moving on to straight sprints for a bit to see how I like that. Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll certainly be coming back to the Flying 200's by summer's end. Random shitty thing about running outside - mosquitoes. Random awesome thing about running outside - girls that are also running outside.

Pretty happy with my results this week. I have gone from 227 to 219.6 in less than a week. I think its mostly just my body snapping back (or water weight but whatever). I've been every day except Tuesday, and its been kind of a struggle to get up in the mornings but I've made it. Question for avsfan or anyone else, is it too much to lift each body part twice a week? Was thinking of doing something like this:Sun-Legs/AbsMon-Chest/TricepsTues- Back/BicepsWed-Legs/AbsThurs-Chest/TricepsFri-Back/BicepsWith some cardio mixed in on some of the non-leg days. I usually do 4 sets of 3 different exercises for each body part, it that too much?

I really feel like I am doing more when I do circuit training. Are there any good links (AVSfan I am talking to you) that have a good circuit training regiment. I kind of know what muscle groups go with each other, but it is always helpful to ahve some other external advice.
Here is some info I found from some credible sources;"CIRCUIT TRAININGThe combination of aerobic and anaerobic training will offer you the best improvements for your overall fitness. One way to achieve this is through circuit training.Circuit training is an organized setting of several exercise stations that are performed in a sequence with minimal or no rest. Circuit training can be performed during your resistance training session: 8 to 10 machine exercises alternating upper and lower body performed at a moderate to high intensity (1 set of 15 to 20 repetitions) with no rest. Another option, is to alternate an aerobic and a non aerobic station throughout the circuit: leg exercise (60 seconds) followed by jogging in place for 2 minutes followed by upper body exercise (60 seconds) to jump rope for 2 minutes and so on. The intent is to keep the body moving with no rest. Research has shown positive improvements in cardiovascular fitness and muscle mass with circuit training.Circuit training can be easily integrated within your cardiovascular and resistance training routine. Either as an alternate for one of the sessions or as a extra alternative to spice up your exercise program. The benefits for improving your overall fitness will be positive."-Cooper AerobicsLInk;http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/circuit-training.htmlI hope this helps. :club:
Pretty happy with my results this week. I have gone from 227 to 219.6 in less than a week. I think its mostly just my body snapping back (or water weight but whatever). I've been every day except Tuesday, and its been kind of a struggle to get up in the mornings but I've made it. Question for avsfan or anyone else, is it too much to lift each body part twice a week? Was thinking of doing something like this:Sun-Legs/AbsMon-Chest/TricepsTues- Back/BicepsWed-Legs/AbsThurs-Chest/TricepsFri-Back/BicepsWith some cardio mixed in on some of the non-leg days. I usually do 4 sets of 3 different exercises for each body part, it that too much?
This is too much. This is typical Muscle an Fiction trainning. except you forgot shoulders and are not adding the rest day that even Muscle and Fiction would add. The Muscle and Fiction version would look somethin like this.Legs/AbsChest/Shoulders/TricepsBack/Bicepsrestand repeatThat is the typical three day rotation. Then you are doing 4 sets of three different exercises while trying to hit the muscles in different ways.I suggest you simply your routine and focus on basics while giving your body more rest to aid in recovery so you can make progress and avoid over trainning.How aboutabs/legsrest/cardioupper bodyrest/cardiorepeat3 sets of a fundamental exercise per body part example;abs/legs3 sets of janda sit ups3 sets of squats3 sets of dead lifts3 sets of standing calf raisesupper body3 sets of dumbbell presse or bench press3 sets of one arm dumbbell rows or bent over barbbell rows3 sets of dumbbell standing overhead press or barbell standing overhead press3 sets of dumbbell upright rows or barbell upright rows3 sets of bent over dumbbell flys3 sets of dumbbell hammer curls or barbell curls3 sets of dipsperform all the sets for a fixed rep range. I prefer 12-15examples of rep ranges.min-max6-88-1010-1212-15when you can perform all three sets for the max of the rep range with excellent form increase your weight.If you can not perform all three sets for the minimum of your rep range decrease your weight next time.That is my two cents....slow and steady wins the race.and keep the cardio simple. I suggest walking or rowing 20-40 minutes.I also suggest 12 minutes of walking or rowing pre workout as a warm up.
Thanks, I figured it was overtraining, guess I need to be patient and I knew I left out shoulders, figured I'd mix in some over head presses somewhere just wasn't sure where. I think I'm going to do something similar to what you posted, just going to break up the pushes and pulls instead of all upper body on the same day. Something like this:Legs AbsCardioChest Tris Overhead pressCardioBack Bis bent over flyesCardioOffAll with a focus on the basic compound exercises ie bench squat deadlift rows etc.As far as the warm up, I've heard it both ways that a warmup is better, and also that it really doesn't do anything for you. I generally don't do a warm up simply because my gym opens at 5:30 and I have to be done at 6:15 so kinda hard to fit it in.
Thanks, I figured it was overtraining, guess I need to be patient and I knew I left out shoulders, figured I'd mix in some over head presses somewhere just wasn't sure where. I think I'm going to do something similar to what you posted, just going to break up the pushes and pulls instead of all upper body on the same day. Something like this:Legs AbsCardioChest Tris Overhead pressCardioBack Bis bent over flyesCardioOffAll with a focus on the basic compound exercises ie bench squat deadlift rows etc.As far as the warm up, I've heard it both ways that a warmup is better, and also that it really doesn't do anything for you. I generally don't do a warm up simply because my gym opens at 5:30 and I have to be done at 6:15 so kinda hard to fit it in.
ok.Make sure you work the larger muscles first and finish with the smaller muscles.example(in order); abs/legssquatsdeadliftscalfschest/shoulders/tricepschest pressoverhead pressdipsback/traps/bicepsrowsupright rowscurls* exclude the bent over flys in this routine.if you keep the sets to 3 per body part like I suggest you could do the three day rotation.example; abs/legschest/shoulders/tricepsback/traps/bicepsrest/cardiorepeatit is ok not to do the warm up.

So taking what AVS has said to TRB I want to post my workout to see if it is falling into overtraining or if it is ok.Day 1 Shoulder / ArmsWarmup:3 sets alternating between Ab Rolls (10 reps) , Russian Twist (12 reps), and Janda Situps (20 reps)Shoulders:3 sets alternating between Sholder presses (12 reps) and two way flys (12 reps)Arms:3 sets alternate between dumbbell curls (12 - 15 reps), skull crushers (12 reps), and close grip press (12-15 reps)3 sets alternate between over head tricep pulls (12 reps) on machine and curls on the machine (12 reps)Day 2 Back / ChestWarmup: Jump rope 10 minutesBack:3 sets of max pullups3 sets alternate between bent over dumbbell rows (not sure what they are really called) and dumbbell flys (first part of chest workout)Chest:3 sets of either incline press or bench press depending on what i feel like at the timeFinish up with 3 sets of Janda sit up then StretchingDay 3 CardioUsually go and run for 1-3 miles depending on how much time I have.Repeat Day 1-3 then rest on Day 7Thanks for any input.

TRB05, I have decided to start trainning with the 3 on 1 off program I suggested above. I will be experimenting with a few things and will give feedback about it here. I have made one adjustment to the progrma already. I have moved legs to the second day. so the i am currently structuring the program this way;abs/chest/shoulders/tricepslegsneck/back/traps/biceps/forearm/griprest/cardioThis will give the shoulders a 48 hour rest between the push of overhead pressing and the pull of upright rows for trapshere is the routine i will be doing;abs/chest/shoulders/tricepsab roll outs or Janda situps 1-3 sets of 30 reps*dumbbell pull overs 3 sets of 12-15 reps (isometric parts of this movement are a great warm up to do before pressing. it also stimulates the back just enough to aid in supporting pressing movements.)heavy hammer swingsdumbbell chest press 3 sets of 12-15 repsoverhead dumbbell press or overhead kettlebell press 3 sets of 12-15 repsdipslegskettlebell swings one handed or two handeddumbbell squats 3 sets of 12-15 repsdumbbell dead lifts 3 sets of 12-15 repsstanding calf raises 3 sets of 12-15 repsneck/back/traps/biceps/forearm/gripneck bridges 30-50 repsone arm dumbbell rows or inlcline dumbbell rows 3 sets of 12-15 repsdumbbell upright rows or one arm kettlebell upright rows 3 sets of 12-15 reps*bent over dumbbell flys (I know i excluded these but i am going to see how it goes. I will keep you posted once I have a solid conclusion.)hammer curls 3 sets of 12-15 repsheavy grips grip trainning routine, here; http://www.heavygrips.com/training/beginner.htmlrest/cardiokettlebell swings one handed or two handed or 20-40 minutes of walking or rowwing*denotes things I am experimenting with these exercises may change order or be removed.

Avsfan or anyone else, is there any way of doing hyperextensions without a bench or not on a workout ball?
If you have something high up that you could lay your upper body on you could do reverse hyper extensions here is an example on a reverse hyper extension machine. hopefully this will give you the general idea;
perhaps if you bent your knees and laid across a dinning table. of course you could grab the other end of the table with your hands for support.

I think you are on the right path Bum. I do have a few suggestions. First,a note to others. Dabum is doing circuit trainning that is why his routine works contrasting(push/pull) muscles on the same day instead of splitting push on one day and pull on another day. in circuit trainning you alternate push and pull. this enables you to rest a muslce group while working the contrasting muscle group. if you do all push in circuit trainning the weakest links i.e. the biceps and triceps will become exhausted quickly and the larger muscle they support will under perform.how about;Day 1 Back / Chest3 sets alternating between Ab Rolls (10 reps) orRussian Twist (12 reps)orJanda Situps (20 reps)Back/Chest:3 sets of alternating max pull ups and a chest press movementor3 sets alternating between bent over dumbbell rows (not sure what they are really called) and one arm dumbbell Press Finish up with StretchingDay 2 LegsJump rope 10 minutes3 sets alternating between squats and dead liftsor3 sets alternating between leg extensions and leg curlsfinish with 3 sets of standing calf raisesDay 3 Shoulder / Arms3 sets alternating between Ab Rolls (10 reps) orRussian Twist (12 reps)orJanda Situps (20 reps)Shoulders:3 sets alternating between Shoulder presses (12 reps) and upright rows (12 reps)Arms:3 sets alternating between dumbbell curls (12 - 15 reps), skull crushers (12 reps)or3 sets alternating between over head tricep pulls (12 reps) on machine and curls on the machine (12 reps)Day 4 CardioUsually go and run for 1-3 miles depending on how much time I have.Repeat Day 1-3 then rest on Day 8So basically I am suggesting you work two alternating exercises for 3 sets.I switched the larger muscles to first in the routine and added a leg day that spaces the smaller assistor muscles(biceps and tricep) so they get 48 hours of rest. it is important they get some rest since they are used heavily when you work chest, back, and shoulders.I also suggest only doing one ab exercise for 3 sets.I moved the rest day to day 8and this is how you do a one arm dumbbell chest press;

except i suggest not bringing the dumbbell out like a - but more like / the top of the dumbbel should touch you nipples at the bottom. also remmber to keep your shoulders back and your chest out. this protects the shoulders from injury.