Official I Joined A Gym Thread

Haven't been at the computer too frequently the past few weeks. Still doing the 5x5 and JJ everyday.Started the Volume Phase yesterday: I never post my warm-up sets only my work sets, but those can vary between 2-3 sets. Mon 5-16Squat3x3x305Bench1x3x1901x3x2151x3x235Power Cleans1x3x1701x3x1951x3x215 (I think my third rep was really bad form-wise as this is the heaviest I've ever done w/cleans. I'm going to look for some advice from one of the guys I work out with). Dips1x3x151x3x301x3x45JJ today @6. My hams, quads, and entire lower body are completely sore and it feels like my legs are noodles from the squats. Thinking about varying between box squats and back squats and possibly adding front squats.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wasn't promoting the program per se. I was 40 and had never worked out in my life and read the book. I had pretty amazing results for 9 months and learned alot but an injury, gym closure and other stuff derailed me. After gaining it all back and more over 8 years I started again in late Feb. I was having decent results but in a short time switching up to your regimine I have seeing results like never before. Kudos to you and thanks, seriously.
You are very welcome. It is my pleasure. I am enjoying my involvement in this thread very much.
I also have been meaning to ask about the small meal thing. It has worked for me and always see all the body builders in the mags do a variation of it as well. Do you have anything specific you reccomend?
If the several small meal thing is working for you. I would stay with it. eating several small meals a day provides your body with a steady supply of nutrients and can keep you satiated. bodybuilders actually eat like this so their body has a constant supply of nutrients. I just have a problem when ppl adovcate several small meals a day as increasing metabolism. Several small meals a day has never been scientifically proven to increase metabolism. Some ppl with extremely slow metabolism will feel overwhelmed by eating several small meals a day. I am one of those ppl. I find eating four meals a day is best for me.
Also I don't know how accurate my scale is but it has a body fat calculator that I figured out how to work a few weeks back. I was bummed to when it registered21.6% which I have a hard time believing. I think 17% is average and geez, thats rough. I did register 168 even for the first time ever weight wise this morning and 19.4% body fat so I guess it's coming down, but still, ughh.
Do not fret over your BMI. The BMI averages are a lil wacky. some BMI measurements include internal fat some do not. So the averages are as goofy as RDA(Recommended Daily Allowances) Just use it as a reference with how you look and feel.
I was browsing slickdeals.net this morning and came across this deal on Optimum Nutrion 100% why protein; http://www.fitrx.com/fitrx/package_select....p;orderbyprice=. Use the code "ON2009" Two tubs of 5lbs protein for $66. This is the cheapest I have ever seen it. Usually I pay about $45 for 5 lbs at bodybuilding.com. I decided to try different flovors and went with cookies and cream and double rich chocolate.
I'm getting close to needing some and this does look like a good deal.
You are very welcome. It is my pleasure. I am enjoying my involvement in this thread very much. If the several small meal thing is working for you. I would stay with it. eating several small meals a day provides your body with a steady supply of nutrients and can keep you satiated. bodybuilders actually eat like this so their body has a constant supply of nutrients. I just have a problem when ppl adovcate several small meals a day as increasing metabolism. Several small meals a day has never been scientifically proven to increase metabolism. Some ppl with extremely slow metabolism will feel overwhelmed by eating several small meals a day. I am one of those ppl. I find eating four meals a day is best for me. Do not fret over your BMI. The BMI averages are a lil wacky. some BMI measurements include internal fat some do not. So the averages are as goofy as RDA(Recommended Daily Allowances) Just use it as a reference with how you look and feel.
Yeah, the diet is weird. I always start out great but in the evening it gets tougher for me and I want to eat junk so that's my only real battle. I went to see Clapton on Monday and got home late but ran Tuesday morning. Last night I visited my dad and got home real late and this morningI couldn't get my ass out of bed and missed a workout for the first time in ages. (lower body) but if I was going to miss anything that was probably thebest with all the bikeriding and leg stuff i've been doing. I'm going to throw a bunch of ab work in to kinda make up for it tommorow.
I wish I could eat 7 large meals a day.
But, you can, fatass.
Yeah, the diet is weird. I always start out great but in the evening it gets tougher for me and I want to eat junk so that's my only real battle.
when I get the munchies I usually eat a navel orange. Other snacks I allow my self free range on are pears, bell peppers, and apples. If I am hungry, I will just eat one of those. Navel oranges are my favorite.
I went to see Clapton on Monday and got home late but ran Tuesday morning. Last night I visited my dad and got home real late and this morningI couldn't get my ass out of bed and missed a workout for the first time in ages. (lower body) but if I was going to miss anything that was probably thebest with all the bikeriding and leg stuff i've been doing. I'm going to throw a bunch of ab work in to kinda make up for it tommorow.
It is very wise to take a week off from working out every 6-8 weeks. When you miss a workout just pick up where you left off. No need to add something to make up for what you missed.Keep up the excellent work!

7.27 miles for the 60-minute run last night. Did pull ups, dips, and extensions again. I think tonight is purely abs, which is always nice since they don't take too long.

Your very welcome!. I am going to go study EAS's BFL program later. I have to say I am not very impressed with it so far. Cable Bent Over Fly are awesome because you have better resistance at the bottom of the exercise. The Dumbbell Bent Over Flys will require increased stabilization. You have two excellent exercises to choose from for the rear delts. You can do Bent Over Flys with the cable or dumbbells. Like the article said 2 or 3 core exercises to choose from is all you need.When looking for dumbbells you will only need to purchase them in 10lb increments if you get a pair of 5lb platemates. That is going to be half the price to buy your dumbbell set.:club: Then you can rotate dumbbell and machine trainning. awesome! and do not buy rubber coated dumbbells! I like basic iron hex dumbbells, they are cheap and last forever. Here is something you may like; http://www.frankzane.com/EQUIPMENT.htm
Yowza, amazing legs for 64 years old. It looks pretty awesome but $795 seems a bit much right now, plus I'd need some more weights. If I get to the point where the leg press I have and some of the other exercises I might look into it, or maybe even a normal rack and additionalweights though i've never really used them before so I don't know how practical that is for home.I have upped my cardio by .5 miles an hour across the board this week as well, so new levels on that front.

Oh hi. Is this thread still going?My knee surgery was two months ago and it's finally feeling pretty good. So I went out and bought a bike yesterday, nothing fancy, but enough to get some exercise, start working on some cardio. I've been pretty sedentary for the last 10 months, since I hurt my knee, so this is a good first step.Hopefully, by posting my progress in here, it'll keep me motivated/shamed enough to keep up the whole exercise routine.

Yowza, amazing legs for 64 years old. It looks pretty awesome but $795 seems a bit much right now, plus I'd need some more weights. If I get to the point where the leg press I have and some of the other exercises I might look into it, or maybe even a normal rack and additionalweights though i've never really used them before so I don't know how practical that is for home.I have upped my cardio by .5 miles an hour across the board this week as well, so new levels on that front.
Solid thinking. I agree. I just really like the Zane leg blaster. A rack and Olympic weight set would be a more equitable decision. Lookin good on the cardio.and yes Frank Zane is f'en amazing!
Hopefully, by posting my progress in here, it'll keep me motivated/shamed enough to keep up the whole exercise routine.
Welcome back, friend. Stick with it and don't let your body break down anymore.
Welcome back, friend. Stick with it and don't let your body break down anymore.
Looks like I'm the only one who cares about staying in shape now. That's cool. Anyway, I did the stairs at the stadium again tonight. One side of the stadium is under construction so I ran the other side twice. I figure that counts as once through the stadium. I'm more proud that I even went because I really started fading this afternoon at work and started having those thoughts of coming home and crashing. But, the weather was waaaaaaaay too nice so I went.

Another solid lift today. For the first time I really felt like I strained for the last rep on my deadlift, but still got it up with good form.Squat3x5x160Bench3x5x125Deadlift3x5x165Abs12 Janda Situps2x5 declined bench situpsBicep Curls2x10x25

Posting Weds/Fri workouts:Wed 5-17No squats on mid-week workout interestingly enough for this portion of the program, even if there were my legs were jello.OH Press3x3x180Deadlift3x3x355Weighted Chins1x3x15lbs1x3x30lbs1x3x45lbsFri 5-19Squats1x3x2651x3x3001x3x330 (New workset PR)Bench3x3x220Cleans3x3x200 TG's1x3x15lb1x3x30lb1x3x45lbWent to JJ 4 times this week, took today off as I was so tired my technique and ability to do anything would have been crap.

Thur- Treadmill (Could only drink water all day do to a Friday morning colonoscopy)Fri (afternoon after sleeping most of the day)*Chest press with dumbells 25lbs. Outrigger presses 15x80MidRows 3x15x100*Shoulder press with machine (adjusted the seat and angle and it hit the shoulders better) 3x15x70*bent over flys 3x15 (used the machine and did 40 lbs) Tri-extension 3x15x80 (still tough to finish but I did.)Weighted arm curls (bi's) 3x15x100 Hammer curls 25x10- repeat of upper body above except I went back to the weighted arm curls on the machine. I just feel it hits the muscle more for now thoughI am planning on trying heavier hammer curls next time.did 20 Janda sit ups and held the plank for 1 minute trying to make up missing it earlier in the week.Sat- TreadmillNew speeds are 4.5,5, 5.5 and 6 with the last minute being 6.5 in 4 rotating intervels.Jeff- Deb and I got bikes as well and besides great cardio it's been a blast riding.

Looks like I'm the only one who cares about staying in shape now. That's cool. Anyway, I did the stairs at the stadium again tonight. One side of the stadium is under construction so I ran the other side twice. I figure that counts as once through the stadium. I'm more proud that I even went because I really started fading this afternoon at work and started having those thoughts of coming home and crashing. But, the weather was waaaaaaaay too nice so I went.
Kudos on keeping motivated. The last time the Bengals were any good was back in the late 80's and in a large part to a running back namedJames Brooks. He was renowned for running the stairs in Riverfront Stadium and was doing it the day after we lost the Super Bowl. I'd die if I even tried. Who knows, one of these days? Maybe I'll make it a goal you know, dying running the stairs, lol.

Had a great workout yesterday. I really love working out on Sundays. The gym is basically empty and I can do whatever I need to do without having to wait or ask if someone is still on a bench or whatnot. So started with some ab rolls on the ball and was switching that up with Russian twists and Janda situps. Did four sets of alternating circuits of those with a 30 sec rest in between. Then I went and did some dumbbell curls followed by skull crushers. I did four sets of these. Then I did some overhead tricep pulls on the machine mixing.Then I headed over and did military presses and 2 way flys with a 10lb weight. Then I followed that up with 2 more sets of Janda situps and called it a day.I really feel like I am doing more when I do circuit training. Are there any good links (AVSfan I am talking to you) that have a good circuit training regiment. I kind of know what muscle groups go with each other, but it is always helpful to ahve some other external advice.

Had a great workout yesterday. I really love working out on Sundays. The gym is basically empty and I can do whatever I need to do without having to wait or ask if someone is still on a bench or whatnot. So started with some ab rolls on the ball and was switching that up with Russian twists and Janda situps. Did four sets of alternating circuits of those with a 30 sec rest in between. Then I went and did some dumbbell curls followed by skull crushers. I did four sets of these. Then I did some overhead tricep pulls on the machine mixing.Then I headed over and did military presses and 2 way flys with a 10lb weight. Then I followed that up with 2 more sets of Janda situps and called it a day.I really feel like I am doing more when I do circuit training. Are there any good links (AVSfan I am talking to you) that have a good circuit training regiment. I kind of know what muscle groups go with each other, but it is always helpful to ahve some other external advice.
I feel the same way working on my day off. I'm not rushed and can take more time as well as trying new things and getting extra work in.Monday is my off day and I must have needed it since I slept an extra hour which is really unusual. Going back to work on Mondays sucks balls anyway so the extra sleep was nice. Plan for the week.Tues-CardioWed-Upper bodThurs-CardioFri-Lower bodSat-CardioSun-UpperI've kinda reached the point at about 4 months now where i'm getting lots of compliments from people who haven't seen me in a whileand well some others. I'm down 2 belt sizes and went from XL shirts to L. The 32 shorts I bought a month ago are already too big as well.I also have more energy than ever. The wife remarks alot about how I keep going all the time constantly doing things. I think another 3 months will make a huge difference as well but I'm pretty happy with the progress thus far.Oh and my son cracked me up yesterday by getting me a large container of protien powder. It was some high dollar stuff from GNC and I wantedto say something but bit my tongue and thanked him. He's always been a gym nut so he's pretty pumped about me doing this as well.

Got in a nice run yesterday ... well nice for me. Ran a little over a mile, the thing was I was only going to run a mile and at about the 3/4 mile I was really feeling good, so I bumped my pace and was cruising for the last 1/4 mile. Since I still felt good I bumped the pace a little more and ran almost another 1/4 mile. I am trying to regain some running endurance but I also want to be able to run it at a good pace. Still checking into HRM's and hopefully I will get one soon, so I can really start to work on the zone training when i run.

Had a weird day where I dropped 5 lbs earler in the week but 4 of it reappeared the next day.Stayed up late Tuesday night and overslept and missed upper body, but made up for it by doing it at 10 last night and than ran this morning so i'm back on track. I'm really wishingI had done before and after photos like the magazines, the difference in 4 months is prettyamazing. I way less now than I have in over 30 years, back when I was in high school.

Kudos on keeping motivated. The last time the Bengals were any good was back in the late 80's and in a large part to a running back namedJames Brooks. He was renowned for running the stairs in Riverfront Stadium and was doing it the day after we lost the Super Bowl. I'd die if I even tried. Who knows, one of these days? Maybe I'll make it a goal you know, dying running the stairs, lol.
It's not the most awful thing ever, you can always take a nice break in between "sets". I was out of town for work until yesterday, so I didn't get anything aside from abs and push ups in. I think I'm going for an easy run tonight and then probably stairs again tomorrow. The weather here has been ridiculously nice lately. I'm loving it.