Official I Joined A Gym Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I\1.)I usually don't do pec dec and cable rows but since my right shoulder was sore, I didn't want to dumbell presses or inclines that I usually do, so I just did light weight on the pec deck and cables. better than doing nothing i was thinking. 2.)My shoulder feels better now. 3.) Also, Serge Hubret saids its fine to workout with sore muscles which I think you were driving at but it wasn't really the typical soreness that I was getting. I think I strained my shoulder too much from benching too heavy (well for me anyway) :club: lightweight for socalpoker :ts
1.) Ok. Just make sure you are concentrating on the compound movements. You will get far superior gains from them. This is what socal and grinder are doing.2.) I am glad your shoulder feels better. Just remember to protect it. Most bodybuilders incur more rotator cuff problems than other athletes. 3. I assume you mean Serge Nubret. Most ppl agree Serge is a freak. Working out for up to 4 hours a day, eating 6 pounds of meat and generally having some of the best genetics of his or any other generation. Also Serge has used/uses? Steroids. Those things enabled Serge to pursue some unusual workout philosophies and general health ideas. Serge now advocates a moderate weight with High set volume regime. These workouts aren't as intense or volume intensive as his past workouts. I personally think he his currently ripping off his advice from the routines that Albert Beckles and Rufus Howard used/use. Most experts believe Serge's currently recommended routines still have too much volume for non drug users. If anyone is interested in Serge's advice you can talk to him here; http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.p...ht=serge+nubret and Get personal training from him here; http://www.sergenubret.com/P.s. I think Serge is currently having some health issues so lets think positive things for this true legend of bodybuilding.
One of the articles I viewed suggested doing the HIIT on a variety of machines. I'll switch from the treadmill / step-machine etc.Laziness prevents me from going to a park to do sprints, especially when I'm paying for a gym membership.
Its fine to use machines. After all its about interval intensity and rest.
So I rented a road bike for the triathlon. I think this will make it a much more enjoyable experience!Also, not sure if any one here has seen this but my friend told me about this cool website: www.mapmyrun.com If you are wondering the distance and incline of your run, you can map it all out using google maps. I mapped the trail run that I do and it is 4.21 miles with 426 ft of elevation change. I also figured out a nice 3 mile jog around my neighborhood. Your Welcome.
Good luck on the triathlon, sir. Having that bike will definitely help. That website is really sweet (if you're a dork like me and like that sort of stuff). A friend of mine told me about it like two years ago and I completely forgot about it until now.

5 min warm up - 1.1 miles.45 mins - 13.4 miles. (17.87 avg.)2 min cool down - .8 miles (I think).Total - 15.3 miles.A good stretch before and after. No ab work out because I was so hungry I had to get outta there!

So last night was my last "big" workout. Did 30 minutes of swimming followed by 30 minutes on the bike. Woke up this morning and did 3 miles around my house in 34 minutes. For the rest of the week my schedule will be:Wed: Run 3 miles in morningThurs: Light Swim and Light bikeFri: RestSat: RestSunday: Give it my all!!!Thanks for all the support over the past few weeks everybody! It's been great to be able to post about this. It keeps me motivated and also it's cool to read back and see where I started with the running. I was barely able to eek out a mile in 15 minutes when this started, so being able to pace off 3 miles is awesome for me.

So last night was my last "big" workout. Did 30 minutes of swimming followed by 30 minutes on the bike. Woke up this morning and did 3 miles around my house in 34 minutes. For the rest of the week my schedule will be:Wed: Run 3 miles in morningThurs: Light Swim and Light bikeFri: RestSat: RestSunday: Give it my all!!!Thanks for all the support over the past few weeks everybody! It's been great to be able to post about this. It keeps me motivated and also it's cool to read back and see where I started with the running. I was barely able to eek out a mile in 15 minutes when this started, so being able to pace off 3 miles is awesome for me.
Nice job so far, good luck on Sunday!

I did cardio yesterday, 30 mins cross trainer averaging a pace of 6.9 on level 7, followed by 20 mins on a different cross trainer thing doing intervals of 1 minute at 25 resistance and 30 seconds at 45 resistance.Today was a solid leg workout with the trainer. Started off tough with some lunges that I found really awkward with one foot on a bench and the other straight ahead and with weights in my hands. After that was solid though, I pretty much crushed it. Arms tomorrow, and we are doing a weigh-in tomorrow, and if the scale in the locker room was correct today then I'm already at my goal of 210 that I wanted by the end of May!

This Saturday is my half marathon. I feel very prepared for it and I'm really tapering down my distance this week. Today I only ran 2.5 miles at a 9 min mile pace. I'll run tomorrow and Thursday then rest Friday. I hope to average 8-8 min 15 second miles for the race. The course if fairly hilly so I will probably be slower than that.I'm still lifting upper body hard this week because I don't think it will affect my running. I changed up my routine today since the gym was busy and I couldn't get to the easy curl barbell. I switched to over head dumbbell raises instead of skull crushers and did chin ups instead of bicep curls. I'll probably stick with this for a few weeks to mix it up.

I hope to average 8-8 min 15 second miles for the race.
That would be a hell of a good pace for a half marathon, in my opinion. If I end up doing one this summer, I'd probably set my sights somewhere in the 9 minute range. Good luck, I'm curious to see how it goes.
So I really did just join a gym today.We let our one in the building go after December and had been trying to eat better, but it's hard to stick to that consistently.Signed up at the Y by me. They pretty much have everything, so I'm excited. Worked out for the first time in awhile today. Man I'm in bad shape.
it's about time lol,let me know when you get up to 2 miles on the treadmill under 20 minutesand 7.5 kgs on biceps, triceps, abds, 15 kgs legs curls and pushes don't forget warm ups and cool downsby then I be up to 5 miles on the thread lol
This Saturday is my half marathon. I feel very prepared for it and I'm really tapering down my distance this week. Today I only ran 2.5 miles at a 9 min mile pace. I'll run tomorrow and Thursday then rest Friday. I hope to average 8-8 min 15 second miles for the race. The course if fairly hilly so I will probably be slower than that.I'm still lifting upper body hard this week because I don't think it will affect my running. I changed up my routine today since the gym was busy and I couldn't get to the easy curl barbell. I switched to over head dumbbell raises instead of skull crushers and did chin ups instead of bicep curls. I'll probably stick with this for a few weeks to mix it up.
Good luck to you too this weekend!
it's about time lol,let me know when you get up to 2 miles on the thread milland 7.5 kgs on biceps, triceps, abds, 15 kgs legs curls and pushes don't forget warm ups and cool downs
Is that like a sewing machine? :club:

I'm incorporating BJJ back heavily into my workout routine. I'm pretty much going M-F, while still getting my normal workouts in during the week. I haven't done BJJ for awhile and it was pretty neat to be one of the few guys not gassed at the end of rolling. Does anybody else do BJJ in here? Good luck everybody with your halfs, tri's, 10ks.

Good luck to you too this weekend!Is that like a sewing machine? :club:
edit treadmillthat's just 3 weeks post surgery sweetyhave to work my weights back up there on my abd's
I did cardio yesterday, 30 mins cross trainer averaging a pace of 6.9 on level 7, followed by 20 mins on a different cross trainer thing doing intervals of 1 minute at 25 resistance and 30 seconds at 45 resistance.Today was a solid leg workout with the trainer. Started off tough with some lunges that I found really awkward with one foot on a bench and the other straight ahead and with weights in my hands. After that was solid though, I pretty much crushed it. Arms tomorrow, and we are doing a weigh-in tomorrow, and if the scale in the locker room was correct today then I'm already at my goal of 210 that I wanted by the end of May!
That's awesome. For me I am having a real hard time getting any weight off. I weighed in last night at 218. I do feel more trim than when I started so that is a good thing ... just hoping that all this work will eventually pay off.
This Saturday is my half marathon. I feel very prepared for it and I'm really tapering down my distance this week. Today I only ran 2.5 miles at a 9 min mile pace. I'll run tomorrow and Thursday then rest Friday. I hope to average 8-8 min 15 second miles for the race. The course if fairly hilly so I will probably be slower than that.
Good Luck with this as well. Let me know how the pace goes. Apparently a friend of mine is trying to talk me into a half marathon but I told him it might be a year before I was ready for that!
Does anybody else do BJJ in here?
Not sure what this stands for and I am kind of scared to put it into google!And since I don't know what it is I am probably not doing it.
I'm incorporating BJJ back heavily into my workout routine. I'm pretty much going M-F, while still getting my normal workouts in during the week. I haven't done BJJ for awhile and it was pretty neat to be one of the few guys not gassed at the end of rolling. Does anybody else do BJJ in here? Good luck everybody with your halfs, tri's, 10ks.
Where have you been?
For me I am having a real hard time getting any weight off. I weighed in last night at 218. I do feel more trim than when I started so that is a good thing ...
I'm still at 220, but I feel more energy, trimmer, and overall feel better when I'm working out 3-4 times/week.
1.) Ok. Just make sure you are concentrating on the compound movements. You will get far superior gains from them. This is what socal and grinder are doing.2.) I am glad your shoulder feels better. Just remember to protect it. Most bodybuilders incur more rotator cuff problems than other athletes. 3. I assume you mean Serge Nubret. Most ppl agree Serge is a freak. Working out for up to 4 hours a day, eating 6 pounds of meat and generally having some of the best genetics of his or any other generation. Also Serge has used/uses? Steroids. Those things enabled Serge to pursue some unusual workout philosophies and general health ideas. Serge now advocates a moderate weight with High set volume regime. These workouts aren't as intense or volume intensive as his past workouts. I personally think he his currently ripping off his advice from the routines that Albert Beckles and Rufus Howard used/use. Most experts believe Serge's currently recommended routines still have too much volume for non drug users. If anyone is interested in Serge's advice you can talk to him here; http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.p...ht=serge+nubret and Get personal training from him here; http://www.sergenubret.com/P.s. I think Serge is currently having some health issues so lets think positive things for this true legend of bodybuilding.
yah, my shoulder is almost 100 percent now. did bench last night and felt ok. Serge Nubert, yes, I think it was a typo. the H and N are close on the keyboard and I tend to not spellcheck or edit my posts.He is a freak and I knew about his health problems, I hope he recovers. I love reading his mega thread on bodybuilding.com, a lot of useful and interesting stuff in there.
yay, I reached 210. even 209 some mornings. although this morning I was 211. so I guess it averages out. Sounds like you are doing well.
That would be a hell of a good pace for a half marathon, in my opinion. If I end up doing one this summer, I'd probably set my sights somewhere in the 9 minute range. Good luck, I'm curious to see how it goes.
9 minute mile is pretty good for over 20 k. i can't even do that for 10 k.
it's about time lol,let me know when you get up to 2 miles on the treadmill under 20 minutesand 7.5 kgs on biceps, triceps, abds, 15 kgs legs curls and pushes don't forget warm ups and cool downsby then I be up to 5 miles on the thread lol
welcome rose!!!!!!1
what's M-F? i'd love to do BJJ but worried to get hurt.
Not sure what this stands for and I am kind of scared to put it into google!And since I don't know what it is I am probably not doing it.
No, it has nothing to do with BJ's if that's what you are thinking lololol. I believe it stands for Brazilian Jiu-jitsu.
what's M-F? i'd love to do BJJ but worried to get hurt. No, it has nothing to do with BJ's if that's what you are thinking lololol. I believe it stands for Brazilian Jiu-jitsu.
M-F = Monday - FridayBrazilian Jiu Jitsu ... I used to take Kenpo and my favorite was the grappling days. I almost signed up for some Jiu Jitsu, but since I don't plan on doing any throws or arm locks ... my money is better spent on more frivolous things. Like beer!
Well, I can already do more than that weight on everything.Probably not the treadmill yet, but give it a week or so. I hardly use the treadmill.
I did mix in some sprinting in my 4.0 speed walk and felt more of a burn. What interval routine would you suggest?
I would suggest looking into Body for Life for beginners, it's a great cardio program and weights as well.
Does anybody in here take fish oil?
I do and have for a while along with a multi and vit B
One of the articles I viewed suggested doing the HIIT on a variety of machines. I'll switch from the treadmill / step-machine etc.Laziness prevents me from going to a park to do sprints, especially when I'm paying for a gym membership.
Just switch around about once a month until you build up some stamina. I think its better to focus on just increasing on one to have a better guage of progress.
Tried a basic HIIT treadmill routine and it nearly caused me to hurl. Still ran for about an hour all told, but I've decided my 1-pack a week habit & exercise can not co-exist. Yes, I am officially quitting smoking.The work out was great overall.
with HIIT you can run for 20 minutes total and get plenty of effect as long as you do 4 cyles and max out.
I take 400 I.U. Of vitamin E For the weirdest of reasons. I have found taking it makes my skin feel better and makes my poops smoother and easier to uh clean up...:club:) I would not generally recommend E supplementation to others. I also don't feel selenium that is often used with E is safe for supplementation. I take B complex for general energy. I avoid the sun so B synthesis is something I lack.I take 3 grams combined "Epa & Dha" (which are the important things in the fish oil) for all the popular reasons such as General Heart health, General Brain Health, Cholesterol, etc...etc...there are just to many positive studies to currently avoid taking it.
I just got a new E vitamin from Sams with Omega 3-6-9 and haven't started it yet. Okay, i will admit reading here has motivated quite a bit. When I realized how fast some of you guys were running on the treadmill I upped my routine a notch on each level and now max out at 6 mph. I really think it's how much you put into it at a given speed and for being 48 and only back at it for 11 weeks it really is tough for me. I do have a goal of hitting 7 in a month.I also was thinking of you guys running outside and last Sunday morning was awesome out so I ran to Walgreens to get my smokes ha. I did suffer more than I expected mostly in my shins. Half of it was a pretty steep hill. I ran in sprint intervels of 2 minutes and walked 1 minute. My weight loss is more and more noticable and my legs are really starting to show. I'm getting pretty pumped about my success and looking forward to pushing it alot this summer. I'm about 90% good on the diet so I need to work on that. I'm also thinking of taking creatine to hlep with the muscles since I'm dang near killing myself. Oh yeah, and I can Socal's jui jitsu ass anyday. I know tire tool.
Well, I can already do more than that weight on everything.Probably not the treadmill yet, but give it a week or so. I hardly use the treadmill.
I hope you can do more weights than me you should being a guy lol, and I am not pushing the weights as I am not looking to body build just build a little muscle. Next week I plan to increase my leg weights can't increase the abds for another 3 weeks. Should be at 3-4 miles by time you hit 2. and when I play poker I always work on my arms and chest with my small weights that I keep at my computer side. Hope you are drinking some high protein shakes like me you will need them as well as the vitamins. right Randy. I am now off all cardiac meds and no longer taking any thing for my high sugars (diabetes) cause I don't have them anymore weeeeeeeeee. Plus swimming weather is just around the corner. I will out lap you in a pool any day. I was one hell of a swimmer and still is.
I hope you can do more weights than me you should being a guy lol, and I am not pushing the weights as I am not looking to body build just build a little muscle.
You need to push the weights if you want to get anything out of it. If you are lifting easy you are essentially wasting your time. You could be doing this because of your surgery, I don't know.Don't worry about looking like a body builder. Women don't have the same amount of type IIx muscle fibers that men have which make them look bulky. You could lift as hard as you want and only look toned, not bulky.

I want to live in the world that women do where apparently lifting heavy weights instantly has you looking like a bodybuilder. Also Rose, I'm fairly sure nobody cares how they compare to your weights or your times on the threadmill. Everybody does their own thing and at their own pace, and everybody has to start somewhere. Even though you're probably joking, it's pretty annoying and you're not even talking to me.