Official I Joined A Gym Thread

I hate using this word, but what type of "routine" does your trainer have you doing?
We've been doing upper body on Monday's, Lower body on Wednesdays, and cardio on Fridays then whatever cardio I do on my own which is usually 2 other times a week. So far we do the same routine two times then switch it up.
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today's Workout:Squat 1x5x1351x5x1851x5x1851x5x2251x5x275Bench1x5x1551x5x1851x5x2051x5x2251x3x245Row1x5x951x5x1151x5x1351x5x1351x5x155Some HIIT for 30 mins. Probably going to masturbate later and contract my ab's for a core workout. jk
Whoa, way to make me feel weak (I mean I am anyways but)Squat(warmup sets)1x5x451x5x751x5x951x5x115(Work sets)3x5x140Bench(warmup sets)1x5x451x4x651x3x751x2x95(work sets)3x5x105Pullups1x41x31x3
Yeah I agree with you, I give her a little leeway though since she just got promoted to fitness manager and she's actually had to give up some of her clients due to all the extra work she has now. Plus, with me letting her off means that if I ever need to miss a session for some reason, I won't get charged for it.
well hopefully she's just trying to adjust and it won't affect you much more, just keep in mind that sticking to your routine and schedule is one of the absolutely most important things in working out. it's so ridiculously easy to let one workout slip, then the next, and then take the week off, and then you're completely off the routine.
Some HIIT for 30 mins. Probably going to masturbate later and contract my ab's for a core workout. jk
wow, this is such a great idea that I'm ashamed I never came up with it.
thx for the vid, but it's hard to hear what the guy is saying over the music. I'm fairly sure it's not my technique though. I prob went a bit too heavy so when my shoulder gets better I'm going to lower the weight a bit. I was benching 225, I think I'll go down to 205 or something like that. I got up to 225 fairly quickly, maybe too quick, gotta take a step back now. guess I'll focus on other things like back and bi, tris, legs and cardio for a while. my right should even hurts now when I'm typing. crap.
the key is to make sure your arms are pressing up in a upside down V shape if you have your arms out like a T you are going to over stress your shoulder. It use to be a debate between power lifters and bodybuilders. Body builders would believe keeping their arms out like T emphasized their chest. when in fact it places unneeded stress on your shoulder and will lead to rotator cuff issues. The bench should be performed with arms in a upside V position. This video is clearer;
GL...and protect your shoulders!
Today's Workout:Squat 1x5x1351x5x1851x5x1851x5x2251x5x275Bench1x5x1551x5x1851x5x2051x5x2251x3x245Row1x5x951x5x1151x5x1351x5x1351x5x155Some HIIT for 30 mins. Probably going to masturbate later and contract my ab's for a core workout. jk
I see you are doing 5x5 training. If others are interested in this style on training check here; http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=5x5Training It is an excellent training style for beginners to advance lifters. Sorry if I am posting redundant info.
I have to say, having another "fan" in this thread that also roots for a team I like is a little unsettling. Welcome to the new posters here. Hopefully you guys can motivate Mexico to not be a lazy POS because it appears Sal and I have failed miserably in that regard.
Hai! How is it unsettling? I liked your write up on beer. The best thing for healthy ppl to do is seek out higher alcohol content drinks. that way they will ultimately drink less. If i drink beer I drink Chimay or La fin du Monde. If i drink vodka I go for Smirnoff Black....This ultimately causes me drink less calories to get the buzzzz.:club:
Hai! How is it unsettling? I liked your write up on beer. The best thing for healthy ppl to do is seek out higher alcohol content drinks. that way they will ultimately drink less. If i drink beer I drink Chimay or La fin du Monde. If i drink vodka I go for Smirnoff Black....This ultimately causes me drink less calories to get the buzzzz.:club:
It's actually not unsettling in the least, I just make bad jokes. Nice to see another Avs fan, although I'm sorry you had to suffer through this season. Hope you stick around and help keep all of us in line. As for me, I've got something weird going on with my ear so I took last night off but, as Sal said, that can easily become a pattern so I'm going tonight regardless.

Swam for 30 minutes last night then jumped on the bike for another 15 minutes. When I am done with the Triathlon i am going to try to get back in and do some lifting. I have basically just been on the cardio train for about a month getting ready for this. It is a good thing, but I feel that I need to get some strength back to my arms and chest. Of course, my shoulder was off for the first part of the year. I am hoping by the time it is over, my shoulder will be back to 100%.Hopefully going to do some trail running tonight. If not I will probably get to the gym and get some treadmill action instead.

Swam for 30 minutes last night then jumped on the bike for another 15 minutes. When I am done with the Triathlon i am going to try to get back in and do some lifting. I have basically just been on the cardio train for about a month getting ready for this. It is a good thing, but I feel that I need to get some strength back to my arms and chest. Of course, my shoulder was off for the first part of the year. I am hoping by the time it is over, my shoulder will be back to 100%.Hopefully going to do some trail running tonight. If not I will probably get to the gym and get some treadmill action instead.
What triathlon are you training for? What trails are you running here in SD?
What triathlon are you training for? What trails are you running here in SD?
It's the Sprint Triathlon on May 3rd that starts in Mission Bay.The trail running is at Torrey Pines. Start at the Golf Course and run to the beach, then up the beach to the parking lot, up the hill and then back to the Golf Course.
She's older, I'm not really sure how old, but def out of my age range, probably in her mid 30's or something. So not really imo :club:
I'm 36 so perfect for me!
the key is to make sure your arms are pressing up in a upside down V shape if you have your arms out like a T you are going to over stress your shoulder. It use to be a debate between power lifters and bodybuilders. Body builders would believe keeping their arms out like T emphasized their chest. when in fact it places unneeded stress on your shoulder and will lead to rotator cuff issues. The bench should be performed with arms in a upside V position. This video is clearer;
GL...and protect your shoulders!
thx. this video was much better. I"m going to try the elbows in thing and arching my back. Some people say arching the back is bad. or maybe I should just bench decline instead of regular bench to save the shoulders.
I ran 10k on the treadmill for the first time ever yesterday. took me 62 min. slow but I did it!in Jan I couldn't even run 10 min without dying.
NICE!That's a hell of a lot of progress. I ran 5k tonight, 22:10. Pretty winded afterward, but really happy with the pace and also with the lack of dying when I finished.
thx. this video was much better. I"m going to try the elbows in thing and arching my back. Some people say arching the back is bad. or maybe I should just bench decline instead of regular bench to save the shoulders.
The main things to do are the positioning of the arms and the packing of the shoulders. The arching of the back is done so you can get your feet under your body for more foundational support from your legs and back. Arching your back to bounce the weight up is what is The Bad. And NOOOO don't do decline instead of flat bench! There is a superior alternative to flat bench though. It is the Dumbbell press! Most beginning routines don't suggest dumbbell presses because they consider it too hard to master for a beginner in comparison to exercises with a bar. You know ppl slamming them self in the head because of the additional stability, coordination and general muscle control required to use dumbbells. Imo any exercise done with dumbbells except squats is superior to the same exercise with a bar.Side tip; Do Dips. They are the squat of the upper body.and feel free to email the diesel crew the are very helpful and nice ppl.
I'm 36 so perfect for me!thx. this video was much better. I"m going to try the elbows in thing and arching my back. Some people say arching the back is bad. or maybe I should just bench decline instead of regular bench to save the shoulders.
You should watch Rippetoe's video on bench press positioning/arch. The arch is basically enough so that while you're on the bench I would be able to slide my hand underneath your back. Your butt is planted on the bench and is never lifted off (you don't want to look like a silly power lifter)Bench Press Setup:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQutODgl2J4...feature=relatedArch/Lordotic Curve:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBNeeeTId1M...feature=relatedAvs,Deadlift's done with a BB are superior to doing it with DBs in my experience.
Avs,Deadlift's done with a BB are superior to doing it with DBs in my experience.
I can concede to this point. I was going to added that but forgot..ooopsand Everyone loves Mark Rippetoe. To protect your shoulders make sure you lower the weight to where your ribcage and upper stomach meet under your pecs. Upside down v not T with your arms and pack those shoulders. Rippetoe excellently explains the arch.

My week of taking it easy hasn't been as easy as it probably should. I lifted lower body lightly on Monday then decided to run stairs afterward. I Life in a 9 story apartment building so I ran the stairs for 21 min. This is one of the hardest workouts I've done. Both of my calves are really sore so I may use the elliptical today. That looks like it wouldn't bother them too much. I had another good upper body workout yesterday day. One of the guys I used to play hockey with in high school is now a body builder and a rep for Cellucor. He sent me some samples of NO N-Zero extreme. That stuff jacks you up and gives you a lot of energy in the weight room. I probably won't take anymore sine I'm a little worries about supplements like that. He also sent me som M5 extreme creatine powder. It says it contains Kre-Alkalyn which is supposedly a better creatine that monohydrate. Nice work everybody. It seems like everyone is workign hard and seeing improvements.

NICE!That's a hell of a lot of progress. I ran 5k tonight, 22:10. Pretty winded afterward, but really happy with the pace and also with the lack of dying when I finished.
thx. you run fast! 8 miles/hr? or something like that? I'd like to get there.
You should watch Rippetoe's video on bench press positioning/arch. The arch is basically enough so that while you're on the bench I would be able to slide my hand underneath your back. Your butt is planted on the bench and is never lifted off (you don't want to look like a silly power lifter)Bench Press Setup:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQutODgl2J4...feature=relatedArch/Lordotic Curve:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBNeeeTId1M...feature=relatedAvs,Deadlift's done with a BB are superior to doing it with DBs in my experience.
thx guys for the links, I'm going to watch them later. I'll try more dumbbell stuff. My shoulder feels better today so we'll see how it goes. my legs are really sore from running so think I'll take a break from it today. and Troyomac, pics pls of your trainer. :club:
thx. you run fast! 8 miles/hr? or something like that? I'd like to get there.
Lately I've been averaging about 8.2-8.3 mph for 5k. I'm trying to figure out what pace I can sustain for the 10k and that seems to be my range for now. Ideally, I'd like to run it at 8.4-8.5-ish but I don't know if I'll get there.

Today was just awful. I was tired when I got to the gym, just had 2 packs of oatmeal for breakfast because I need to get groceries (don't have any fruit in the house or break) I realize now I could have had a protein shake at least. But yeah, everything I did today I struggled with, some of the things I finished all of my reps barely, but most of them I pretty much quit at the end, I just couldn't do it. So it was a frustrating day, and my arms are just exhausted right now which I guess is good, but doesn't feel good today.

Lately I've been averaging about 8.2-8.3 mph for 5k. I'm trying to figure out what pace I can sustain for the 10k and that seems to be my range for now. Ideally, I'd like to run it at 8.4-8.5-ish but I don't know if I'll get there.
That seems ridiculously fast to me.. I think I ran one lap (400 metres) last time I was on the treadmill at 5.0 and was tired after.
So it was a frustrating day, and my arms are just exhausted right now which I guess is good...
It might have been frustrating, but at least you still know you got some good work in if you're exhausted. Some days are just tougher than others, it happens. I know the feeling.
That seems ridiculously fast to me.. I think I ran one lap (400 metres) last time I was on the treadmill at 5.0 and was tired after.
I guess it's all relative. For somebody that doesn't run much, it's fast. For somebody that runs a lot and really doesn't do anything else, I feel like I could be doing better. In the same regard, the amount of weight people in here can lift seems insane to me since I haven't lifted regularly in years.
Today was just awful. I was tired when I got to the gym, just had 2 packs of oatmeal for breakfast because I need to get groceries (don't have any fruit in the house or break) I realize now I could have had a protein shake at least. But yeah, everything I did today I struggled with, some of the things I finished all of my reps barely, but most of them I pretty much quit at the end, I just couldn't do it. So it was a frustrating day, and my arms are just exhausted right now which I guess is good, but doesn't feel good today.
we all have bad days but you still survived, that's what counts so good for you.
dolfan is really fast. i can sustain 8 miles/hr for maybe a couple of min but that's it and then I have to slow down to about 6 or even 5 for a little while before I can pump up the speed again.