Official I Joined A Gym Thread

Big black old dude at the gym totally owned me. I was in the squat rack with one set left, and nobody ever uses any of the 3 squat racks but me, (there were 2 open), so I was tired and walked to the water cooler to cool off. I take a lap around this tiny little track (takes no longer than 30 seconds total). I come back and this big black dude is at my station, threw on 2 more 25's, added a neck guard, and was just using my station. So I walk back and wait for him to finish a set, then I ask if I can work in my last set (on my own station no less) and he says ok, so I start to take off the 25, and he insta just says, you're taking weight off? Nah let me finish. Pretty standard to not let somebody work in on the station they had first because they require 8 seconds to take off one plate. People sure are considerate.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is him being lazy and not wanting to add the other weights on the other racks first. Pretty lame. I probably would have waited til he was in mid squat and knee capped him.

That is him being lazy and not wanting to add the other weights on the other racks first. Pretty lame. I probably would have waited til he was in mid squat and knee capped him.
tough to find mid squat when he has feet nearly together doing some bizarre 1/8th squat the funny thing is I have the bar set so high because of how tall i am and he was strugglign really bad to get it back on the rack and I was secretly hoping he'd have to dump it and make an ass out of himself
Big black old dude at the gym totally owned me. I was in the squat rack with one set left, and nobody ever uses any of the 3 squat racks but me, (there were 2 open), so I was tired and walked to the water cooler to cool off. I take a lap around this tiny little track (takes no longer than 30 seconds total). I come back and this big black dude is at my station, threw on 2 more 25's, added a neck guard, and was just using my station. So I walk back and wait for him to finish a set, then I ask if I can work in my last set (on my own station no less) and he says ok, so I start to take off the 25, and he insta just says, you're taking weight off? Nah let me finish. Pretty standard to not let somebody work in on the station they had first because they require 8 seconds to take off one plate. People sure are considerate.
That's awful. Some guy, I think he was asian, did this to me last week. I had my towel and magazine (I read while doing the bike) next to the cable machine and the rope on it. I do my set, go to grab some water at the fountain, come back and he's all over my machine, took off my rope, put on a bar and is doing an over the head triceps exercise. I only had one set left so I just grabbed my shit and said something loud enough for me to hear, which must've been loud because I have my headphones on loud. People suck so bad. I'm so nonconfrontational, but when he wouldn't let you work in, I woulda kept taking the weight off and pointed out that he cut your workout off. Now, I keep my towel on the bar when I walk away.
That's awful. Some guy, I think he was asian, did this to me last week. I had my towel and magazine (I read while doing the bike) next to the cable machine and the rope on it. I do my set, go to grab some water at the fountain, come back and he's all over my machine, took off my rope, put on a bar and is doing an over the head triceps exercise. I only had one set left so I just grabbed my shit and said something loud enough for me to hear, which must've been loud because I have my headphones on loud. People suck so bad. I'm so nonconfrontational, but when he wouldn't let you work in, I woulda kept taking the weight off and pointed out that he cut your workout off. Now, I keep my towel on the bar when I walk away.
Ya idk, like it's incredibly frustrating when people just leave their weights on the bars and just bounce so I can see why he'd just work in but he obviously didn't look around even for a second or ask around if anybody was using it so he's probably just a douche. I almost just racked a different station but I couldn't bring myself to be that big of a bitch.
If I had three weeks to prepare for an 8k, I'd probably just use the first week to go about 2-2.5 miles three times a week to see where I'm at. Based on that I would bump it up to 3-3.5 three or four times the next week. Then, the last week I'd probably take one day to just see how long I can make it without dying and just do a few other "easy" runs to rest up. By that point you should have a pretty good idea of what a realistic pace is for the 8k and how much you want to push it during the race.
I think I'm gonna go the other way on this. Today I ran 2.25 miles at a 6mph pace, walked for a quarter mile, than ran another mile at 6mph. My plan is to run every day this week (realistically 3 or 4 more times) and get up to 2.5-2.75 + 1. Then by the end of next week I'd like to be at like 3.5 +1, and hopefully by the end of the 3rd week around 4 (or maybe even a little over) + 1. The race is on a Sunday, I think my last tough run will be on Thursday, a light run on Friday, and then the race Saturday. And I do have a bet with some co-workers on this so the goal isn't just to finish. They're pretty out of shape too but not as bad as I am. THAT'S WHERE THE WILLPOWER COMES IN

You know what builds good cardio?STUFFINGWell, not when I do it because I'm out of breath in one minute, then pop in two, but for normal men, it's good cardio

Finally got back to the gym this week. Ended up taking all of last week off, which is not good. But anyway, I tried to do the incline press and my shoulder is still giving me trouble. So, I just hit the bike for 20 minutes and then decided to do something I havent done in years ... I jumped in the pool. Had my gym shorts on, but I was on the bike and trying to think of something low impact that could still work on my upper body and swimming came to mind. So I just went in and swam for ten minutes. I think I am going to add this to my workout from now on. It is very low impact but also works cardio and will give you some good upper body work as well.

I also stopped drinking diet coke last Saturday. Sucks. I am a diet soda fiend. I had caffeine headaches early in the week but they faded. I'm still sad. I don't drink coffee. I'll do it for another week and see if I see it in my weight loss. I miss my diet soda dammit.
I'm on week 4 of no soda, and I think it's safe to say I've successfully kicked the habit. I don't really miss it, I've been doing the Crystal Light and Diet Snapple thing instead at home (in addition to water, obv) and the coffee and water thing at work. Vodka tonics instead of captain and coke's at the bar, no big deal. The first couple weeks I was doing 3 big mugs of coffee per day, now I'm down to 2. Would like to get down to none, but I don't know if I can completely cut caffeine out of my life. Also on week 4 of no lunch at work, that isn't really even a challenge anymore. I eat when I get home and that's it. -15 pounds so far, I want to drop another 30-40 and then I'll start exercising...maybe. I should buy a bike, cause dammit, I really hate walking for the sake of walking.
Finally got back to the gym this week. Ended up taking all of last week off, which is not good. But anyway, I tried to do the incline press and my shoulder is still giving me trouble. So, I just hit the bike for 20 minutes and then decided to do something I havent done in years ... I jumped in the pool. Had my gym shorts on, but I was on the bike and trying to think of something low impact that could still work on my upper body and swimming came to mind. So I just went in and swam for ten minutes. I think I am going to add this to my workout from now on. It is very low impact but also works cardio and will give you some good upper body work as well.
I've started swimming twice a week as well as two weekly workouts. I love it! I look more forward to going to the gym to swim than to run. There's something about the weighlessness that makes me feel like I haven't worked out at all.
-15 pounds so far, I want to drop another 30-40 and then I'll start exercising...maybe. I should buy a bike, cause dammit, I really hate walking for the sake of walking.
Nice work. It's pretty amazing what cutting out stuff like soda will do.
I've started swimming twice a week as well as two weekly workouts. I love it! I look more forward to going to the gym to swim than to run. There's something about the weighlessness that makes me feel like I haven't worked out at all.
Swimming is an outstanding workout. I wish I weren't such a pansy and would do it once in a while.
I'm on week 4 of no soda, and I think it's safe to say I've successfully kicked the habit. I don't really miss it, I've been doing the Crystal Light and Diet Snapple thing instead at home (in addition to water, obv) and the coffee and water thing at work. Vodka tonics instead of captain and coke's at the bar, no big deal. The first couple weeks I was doing 3 big mugs of coffee per day, now I'm down to 2. Would like to get down to none, but I don't know if I can completely cut caffeine out of my life. Also on week 4 of no lunch at work, that isn't really even a challenge anymore. I eat when I get home and that's it. -15 pounds so far, I want to drop another 30-40 and then I'll start exercising...maybe. I should buy a bike, cause dammit, I really hate walking for the sake of walking.
As mentioned i quit the soda as well and picked up the coffee addiction like you. I have been slowly cutting back but it's tough. I'd also recomend not giving lunch up but eating something with a good protien and low glycemic carb like turkey, chicken or tuna on whole wheat. It's a myth that you lose weight by not eating. You have to keep your metabolism working and eating every 3 hours does the trick. I know you won't go that crazy especially if you aren't working out but skipping lunch will zap you of your energy and make you feel miserable and spent worse than a Ron all-nighter with spankyvision.I'm down from 187 to 177 in less than a month though I do work out as well. I'm feeling muscles that I haven't in years.I also tweaked the cardio this morning adding a steeper incline at the end and top speed then dropped the incline back down for that last minute to really blow it out. Working out in the morning really gives me so much more energy during the day, I actually feel a little off if I don't do it now.
Careful with the vodka tonics. I've never been to a bar that has diet tonic water so you aren't saving many calories switching from coke to tonic water. Tonic has 10 calories per ounce.I had a decent workout this morning. I did three lifts for lower body then a lot of ab work. I ran for 30 min starting at 6.5mph and increased speed 0.5mph every 5 minutes. I'm starting to go crazy running on a treadmill everyday so I'm hoping it warms up soon. Unfortunately they've predicted 2-4 inches of snow tonight.

Ever since I started working regularly I find it hard to motivate myself to work out. I try to get up early in the morning but always fail, and by the time I'm done with work all I want to do is crash and relax.How do you 9-5ers do it?

Awesome, that's a pretty damn good pace at the end.
I forgot to say for the last 2.5 min I go up another 0.5mph. It ends up being a 6:18 mile pace. It doesn't seem to fast if you can not think about it but once I start thinking about running it gets tough. I have a half marathon coming up at the beginning of May and a full marathon the middle of June. I've never been a competitive runner. I used to run to stay in shape for hockey but now I use it as a stress reliever.I'm having doubts about the marathon since I have tendinitis in my right knee which causes it to swell and hurt after runs of 8+ miles. I have a prescription of Celebrex to keep the inflammation down and vicodin for the pain. My doctor said I can run through it so I'm giving it a try.
Ever since I started working regularly I find it hard to motivate myself to work out. I try to get up early in the morning but always fail, and by the time I'm done with work all I want to do is crash and relax.How do you 9-5ers do it?
I have to leave the house at 8:45 for work and don't get home till about 9 most nights and I do it.I get up at 7, grab a cup of black coffee and wake up for few minutes. Cardio is 20 minutes and my workout days are 40 minutes. It's pretty easy to be done, shower and still eat some breakfastbefore leaving.It did just dawn on me that i'm also lucky enought to have a treadmill and workout equipment at home which makes it easier. When I went to the gym I would just have everything packed so when I got up in the morning I could bolt. The workout times at the gym were the same so again no biggie, you just have to plan things.
How do you 9-5ers do it?
For me, it's straight to the gym after work or it doesn't happen. You just have to force yourself to go.
I forgot to say for the last 2.5 min I go up another 0.5mph. It ends up being a 6:18 mile pace. It doesn't seem to fast if you can not think about it but once I start thinking about running it gets tough. I have a half marathon coming up at the beginning of May and a full marathon the middle of June. I've never been a competitive runner. I used to run to stay in shape for hockey but now I use it as a stress reliever.
You'll have to let me know how the half marathon goes. I've been thinking about a half marathon in July and possibly another in September, but I've never run more than a 10k. I'm pretty sure I could do a half marathon pretty easily if I can just force myself not to overdo it early. I wouldn't think it would be hard to finish at a pretty slow pace, but I have this thing where I can't stand just jogging. Anyway, it's very cool you'll be doing one and possibly a marathon. I'm busting my ass right now to prepare for a 10k on Memorial Day. For now, my goal is just to beat my time from last year.
A few others have responded, but for me I just had to force myself for a couple of weeks. I get up at 4:45, gym opens at 5:30 and I have to be to work at 7:00. The first couple of weeks I hated it but after a little while it gets easy. I also pack everything I need the night before. This morning was a bitch though as it was my first day back to work since the time switch. So, yeah anyway just suck it up for a couple weeks and soon it'll become a habit.
Nice work. It's pretty amazing what cutting out stuff like soda will do.
Thanks, yeah, it seems even diet soda makes you fat. I'm amazed at the fact that after only a month I feel like I never need to have another one.
I'd also recomend not giving lunch up but eating something with a good protien and low glycemic carb like turkey, chicken or tuna on whole wheat. It's a myth that you lose weight by not eating. You have to keep your metabolism working and eating every 3 hours does the trick. I know you won't go that crazy especially if you aren't working out but skipping lunch will zap you of your energy and make you feel miserable and spent worse than a Ron all-nighter with spankyvision.
I know you're 100% right, but I've tried to do that before and I just can't. The only thing I have the willpower for is to not eat at all, I can only "eat the right things" for a couple days at the most.
Careful with the vodka tonics. I've never been to a bar that has diet tonic water so you aren't saving many calories switching from coke to tonic water. Tonic has 10 calories per ounce.
Hmm...that's not good. I really didn't quit soda to save calories though, that's just a nice byproduct. I quit to save money, I was literally spending about $250 per month on soda.
For me, it's straight to the gym after work or it doesn't happen. You just have to force yourself to go.
this
I know you're 100% right, but I've tried to do that before and I just can't. The only thing I have the willpower for is to not eat at all, I can only "eat the right things" for a couple days at the most. Hmm...that's not good. I really didn't quit soda to save calories though, that's just a nice byproduct. I quit to save money, I was literally spending about $250 per month on soda.
if this is true, you'll never consistently lose weight. Be careful. Being prepared helps the most. Shop for lunch for the week. leave it in the work fridge, make sure not to order takeout and don't bring anything additional. Once a month, on a Friday, order out. Gotta treat/reward yourself.$250 a month? That can't be right, can it? I should know, I drink a ton of diet soda. I usually buy 6 6pks of 24oz bottles of diet pepsi, diet mountain dew and diet Dr. Pepper and those only cost $4 a pop. If I did that every week, that's only $100 a month. No way I drink 5 24oz bottles of soda a day, 7 days a week. 3 a day, easy, sometimes 4, but not every day of the month. And even if I did, it's still only $100 a month. Now way you were drinking 10 24oz bottles of soda a day. That figure might be high. Unless you buy the 32oz bottles individually, for $2 a piece, which would be crazy, even though I did that 3 times a week, until I got smart

oh yeah, 35 minutes of cardio200 crunches8 sets of chest. Did 225 6 times with not spot, probably coulda squeezed out 8 reps, definitely 7. Can't wait till I can do a set of 10. Just a mental hurdle for me