Official I Joined A Gym Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:Still going three times a week, doing the workout jefe provided.not losing weight, but definitely losing some fat, gaining muscle.Hit a bit of a wall today, struggled with some of the same exercises i'd been doing..legs felt heavy. Back at it Friday. That is all.

UPDATE:Still going three times a week, doing the workout jefe provided.not losing weight, but definitely losing some fat, gaining muscle.Hit a bit of a wall today, struggled with some of the same exercises i'd been doing..legs felt heavy. Back at it Friday. That is all.
from like july until december of last year I did a "gaining phase" if you will where I ate a whole lot and just lifted with no cardio. I only put on 5 real pounds, which was pretty surprising, but I did end up putting on some fat. this year I've been doing lots of cardio trying to cut, and I've lost a lot of visible fat, but my weight has stayed the exact same as it did as my heaviest in december. its quite confusing. just pay attention to your pants size.
from like july until december of last year I did a "gaining phase" if you will where I ate a whole lot and just lifted with no cardio. I only put on 5 real pounds, which was pretty surprising, but I did end up putting on some fat. this year I've been doing lots of cardio trying to cut, and I've lost a lot of visible fat, but my weight has stayed the exact same as it did as my heaviest in december. its quite confusing. just pay attention to your pants size.
I'd rather YOU paid attention to my pants size....bah-dumdumi've noticed my belly getting smaller a few other places i store fat are starting to shrink as well.
I'd rather YOU paid attention to my pants size....bah-dumdumi've noticed my belly getting smaller a few other places i store fat are starting to shrink as well.
it takes a while, just don't give up. the thing is, you've got a lot of fat (the general you, not you specifically, fatty) in all kinds of places on your body that you never really acknowledge since it isn't really noticeable, like on your arms, legs, even shoulders and face, and when you burn fat, you're also burning this stuff too so you won't notice your stomach just automatically shrinking since everything else is losing fat too. jesus that was a long sentence.
it takes a while, just don't give up. the thing is, you've got a lot of fat (the general you, not you specifically, fatty) in all kinds of places on your body that you never really acknowledge since it isn't really noticeable, like on your arms, legs, even shoulders and face, and when you burn fat, you're also burning this stuff too so you won't notice your stomach just automatically shrinking since everything else is losing fat too. jesus that was a long sentence.
ya, that's what all the experts say, you can't spot reduce. I carry of lot of mine in the man-boob area.This keeps up, maybe I can dump the mansiere...i mean bro....
  • 3 weeks later...

Holy Crap...I just looked up some nutrition info...My daily breakfast consists of a Tim Horton's sesame bagel, toasted buttered, and a large coffee, half a cream.The bagel and i'm assuming 1 oz. of butter is 450 calories with 54 g. of Carbs. Yikes.so today I switched to having a Carnation Instant Breakfast. 130 cals or so, mixed in a cup of 1% milk. And then a coffee.Got to be better, yes?Any other alternatives? I'd really like to cut back on carbs in my diet and increase protein. Should I get protein powder, maybe make a shake in the morning?

Holy Crap...I just looked up some nutrition info...My daily breakfast consists of a Tim Horton's sesame bagel, toasted buttered, and a large coffee, half a cream.The bagel and i'm assuming 1 oz. of butter is 450 calories with 54 g. of Carbs. Yikes.so today I switched to having a Carnation Instant Breakfast. 130 cals or so, mixed in a cup of 1% milk. And then a coffee.Got to be better, yes?Any other alternatives? I'd really like to cut back on carbs in my diet and increase protein. Should I get protein powder, maybe make a shake in the morning?
MUSCLE MILK!!!I don't know much about diet. I am just trying to keep my calories where they need to be.Sadly I have not worked out since the holidays. You miss a few workouts and then it seems hard to get back on. Add on this season has been killing my sinus' that each day I want and can work out I have a migraine type headache. But yesterday I finally felt good and hit the gym after work.Interestingly enough, when I last weighed myself at the gym I was 175. Last night I was 173. I think I lost 4 lbs of muscle and gained 2 pounds of fat. I just started off slow and will record my workouts in here to see what works best.35 minutes on the treadmill. Cross Country 4 setting. First 27 minutes on speed 3.5, last 3 minutes on 5.5, 5 min cooldown on 2.5.1.87 miles, 211.7 calories burnedThat was it, no weights. Thursday and Sat will be my weight and cardio days and tuesdays just cardio days and I will try to go longer by 5 minutes each week till I am doing an hour on the treadmill every Tues. then when spring comes, if it ever comes, I will run on Mon, Wed, and Fri.
MUSCLE MILK!!!I don't know much about diet. I am just trying to keep my calories where they need to be.Sadly I have not worked out since the holidays. You miss a few workouts and then it seems hard to get back on. Add on this season has been killing my sinus' that each day I want and can work out I have a migraine type headache. But yesterday I finally felt good and hit the gym after work.Interestingly enough, when I last weighed myself at the gym I was 175. Last night I was 173. I think I lost 4 lbs of muscle and gained 2 pounds of fat. I just started off slow and will record my workouts in here to see what works best.35 minutes on the treadmill. Cross Country 4 setting. First 27 minutes on speed 3.5, last 3 minutes on 5.5, 5 min cooldown on 2.5.1.87 miles, 211.7 calories burnedThat was it, no weights. Thursday and Sat will be my weight and cardio days and tuesdays just cardio days and I will try to go longer by 5 minutes each week till I am doing an hour on the treadmill every Tues. then when spring comes, if it ever comes, I will run on Mon, Wed, and Fri.
Get back at it Steve. There are times i have to force myself to go, but I'm usually glad I did. Once the warm weather comes, there's a track at the local high school just up the road. I think i'll start running there a bit.Tonight i do this killer ab/lower body routine from Guapo's program. First time, so i should be in serious pain tomorrow.Jefe, if you're reading this, I have a question about the sets in the Phase II Core workout. For the sets, Do i do all three lower body (ie step up) reps at once, then the three abs reps? Or do I alternate, one step up, one ab, three times?
Get back at it Steve. There are times i have to force myself to go, but I'm usually glad I did. Once the warm weather comes, there's a track at the local high school just up the road. I think i'll start running there a bit.Tonight i do this killer ab/lower body routine from Guapo's program. First time, so i should be in serious pain tomorrow.Jefe, if you're reading this, I have a question about the sets in the Phase II Core workout. For the sets, Do i do all three lower body (ie step up) reps at once, then the three abs reps? Or do I alternate, one step up, one ab, three times?
You can do it either way, I like to alternate, that was I get to "kinda rest my legs" but keep my heartrate up.I did tried the Yoga workout on the P90X last night. Holy Crap, I could only do 25 minutes, Yoga is a bitch! I think a lot of it had to do with how sore I am from the previous 4 days, on top of that I had a headache that was verging on a migrane so I had to stop and take and ibuprofen and get some food.
You can do it either way, I like to alternate, that was I get to "kinda rest my legs" but keep my heartrate up.I did tried the Yoga workout on the P90X last night. Holy Crap, I could only do 25 minutes, Yoga is a bitch! I think a lot of it had to do with how sore I am from the previous 4 days, on top of that I had a headache that was verging on a migrane so I had to stop and take and ibuprofen and get some food.
Where is this workout Jeff is doing, I am interested in seeing it. Did you post it in here or can I get it somewhere else?
both of the breakfasts you posted aren't very good. the first one for obvious reasons, and the second because you need to be getting a lot more calories than that at breakfast. I cook myself breakfast every morning. 1 1/2 eggs (1 whole, 1 white), oatmeal/cream of wheat/grits (you don't know what that last one is), 2 slices turkey bacon, chocolate milk. I use low sugar chocolate syrup. I'm not a big follower of the "low carb" thing, because to build muscle, you need protein AND carbs. and building muscle helps you lose fat. you're much better off eating a big, calorie filled breakfast and a small dinner than vice versa. it isn't easy to do, but its the best way.
Where is this workout Jeff is doing, I am interested in seeing it. Did you post it in here or can I get it somewhere else?
sent
both of the breakfasts you posted aren't very good. the first one for obvious reasons, and the second because you need to be getting a lot more calories than that at breakfast. I cook myself breakfast every morning. 1 1/2 eggs (1 whole, 1 white), oatmeal/cream of wheat/grits (you don't know what that last one is), 2 slices turkey bacon, chocolate milk. I use low sugar chocolate syrup. I'm not a big follower of the "low carb" thing, because to build muscle, you need protein AND carbs. and building muscle helps you lose fat. you're much better off eating a big, calorie filled breakfast and a small dinner than vice versa. it isn't easy to do, but its the best way.
Interesting. I've never been a big breakfast guy. Until my mid-20s, i never ingested anything prior to lunch.I do so know what grits is. I'm Canadian, not an idiot.Okay, i need a fulltime personal chef. Any volunteers?
This is good info right here and I know about and love cream of wheat and grits.I usually make (this is for me, my wife and son BTW) 7 eggs, 5 white 2 whole - *I don't even like the taste of regular scrambled eggs now that I eat mostly whites - Candaian Bacon or Chicken sausage or turkey bacon. Sometimes a half a slice or wheat toast or today we had the scramble in a corn tortilla.On occasion we will have oatmeal with a bit of brown sugar (not the kind Jadaki and Shake are used to).Obv I have not been doing this consistently, as panckaes, waffles and bagels have been a big part of breakfast recently.
I do so know what grits is. I'm Canadian, not an idiot.
jumbo shrimp?but yeah, i'm sure you've heard the whole thing of eating a bunch of small meals spaced out. thats a good way to do it, as long as you actually have time to do so. I think the best way is starting big and working your way down to small (big breakfast, small dinner), but usually I eat a fairly large breakfast (listed above), about a 120 to 150 cal snack at 9:30, probably 400/450 cal lunch (turkey sandwich, a few baked chips, green tea), 100 to 150 cal snack at 3, then decent dinner at 6 (varies, probably about 500 cals). the main thing is getting enough calories to not starve yourself, but not so many that you're not losing anything.
*I don't even like the taste of regular scrambled eggs now that I eat mostly whites
this is so very true. I had 2 whole scrambled eggs on a saturday a couple of weeks ago to kinda "treat" myself, and they were just horrible. way too rich.
this is so very true. I had 2 whole scrambled eggs on a saturday a couple of weeks ago to kinda "treat" myself, and they were just horrible. way too rich.
On the rare occasion we go to breakfast and I get scrambled eggs, I almost cannot finish them, plus they give you like 4 when you order two because they just scoop it out of a vat of eggs.My wife always gets an egg white omlette, if the eggs are friend she'll only eat the whites and not the yolk (thats just weird imo).My biggest hurdle is late night eating. Last night I had a bag of popcorn at like 11:00 PM too much carbs way too late, but when I am working out I get very hungry at night.
jumbo shrimp?but yeah, i'm sure you've heard the whole thing of eating a bunch of small meals spaced out. thats a good way to do it, as long as you actually have time to do so. I think the best way is starting big and working your way down to small (big breakfast, small dinner), but usually I eat a fairly large breakfast (listed above), about a 120 to 150 cal snack at 9:30, probably 400/450 cal lunch (turkey sandwich, a few baked chips, green tea), 100 to 150 cal snack at 3, then decent dinner at 6 (varies, probably about 500 cals). the main thing is getting enough calories to not starve yourself, but not so many that you're not losing anything.
Lord knows i could live off my fat stores for several months...but yes, I know the basic nutrition play you're talking about.I'm conflicted between losing weight (which i want to do) and getting stronger (which i want to do). It won't kill me to drop some carbs from my diet...i get way too many.
My biggest hurdle is late night eating. Last night I had a bag of popcorn at like 11:00 PM too much carbs way too late, but when I am working out I get very hungry at night.
Me too. And especially when i'm eating healthy, I always seem to crave SOMETHING late at night. Not even anything specific, but it's just like, man, I need a snack. Last night I had fruit cocktail, so that wasn't too bad. Definitely need healthy snacks in the house, the problem is that there just aren't that many of them. Plus I go through them so fast, and then don't go shopping for a couple days.
Lord knows i could live off my fat stores for several months...but yes, I know the basic nutrition play you're talking about.I'm conflicted between losing weight (which i want to do) and getting stronger (which i want to do). It won't kill me to drop some carbs from my diet...i get way too many.
Whole wheat carbs ftw.But if you build muscle, you'll drop fat. Just don't worry too much about your actual weight loss. Take pictures or something, lol.And post them obv. :club:
Me too. And especially when i'm eating healthy, I always seem to crave SOMETHING late at night. Not even anything specific, but it's just like, man, I need a snack. Last night I had fruit cocktail, so that wasn't too bad. Definitely need healthy snacks in the house, the problem is that there just aren't that many of them. Plus I go through them so fast, and then don't go shopping for a couple days.
Not to be a jerk but go look at the sugars in the fruit cocktail, I'm sure it is probably close to your daily allowance. Eating that before sleepy time is pretty bad.