Official Detroit Red Wings Thread

Abdelkader was a bitch to see play against the Pens. I wonder what he could do with more ice time.
Sounds like he will get one more year on the top line in Grand Rapids barring any injuries on the big club. Whatever makes him better for the NHL since I have him on my farm team in the fchl.
  • Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Abdelkader and Helm...Gonna make the team?
Helm is slated to make the team. Abdelkader is going to probably play the first couple weeks in the NHL and when Helm comes back from injury he will go back to the Griffins and center the 1st line as they planned to do from the get go.
Helm is slated to make the team. Abdelkader is going to probably play the first couple weeks in the NHL and when Helm comes back from injury he will go back to the Griffins and center the 1st line as they planned to do from the get go.
good stuff..the guys in the AHL think i have no farm..In reality its better than most of theirs..here is my theory.They draft these highly touted 18 year olds that have NO shot at playing in the NHL the next few years. There are only a few 18 year olds that will play in the NHL right away. Most of them are very far from the NHL. A lot of things can happen. They discover other things, drugs, women , pressure can get to them and poof..That surefire prospect turns into a 15 goal scorer in the Swiss league.I draft guys that are NHL ready, they are either playing in the NHL or are very close to make the jump. While these guys arent superstar prospects they are NHL players and have major upside.Wayne SimmondsNathan GerbeJustin Abdelkader will all contribute this year...A lot of the guys that the other owners drafted are losers in 3 years.
  • 2 weeks later...

bump for the start of the new season. anxious to see how leino will do with val on the third line...

Red Wings' Franzen out with torn ACLDetroit Red Wings center Johan Franzen has suffered a torn ACL and will be out for at least four months, the team announced Friday.Franzen was injured in Thursday night's 3-2 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks, a game in which Franzen scored the game-winning goal during the second period.It wasn't clear from the Red Wings' announcement at what point in the game Franzen was hurt.Franzen was the Wings' second-leading scorer last season with 34 goals. Right winger Marian Hossa had 40 goals.Franzen, 29, a third-round pick by Detroit in 2004, has 84 goals and 61 assists in four-plus NHL seasons with the Wings.

tough break for the Wings..Franzen is a huge part of the team..But i think they have a few guys that can step in.

sigh. At least Helm is supposed to be back next week, plus it will give Abdelkader a chance on the big team more than likely.

sigh. At least Helm is supposed to be back next week, plus it will give Abdelkader a chance on the big team more than likely.
Abs has already been called back. But neither of them are going to cover the 40 goals he was predicted to score. They are probably good for 15 goals. Hopefully I am wrong and it is more like 25.I would like to see Pavs Hank and Homer back together. Val needs to be moved up. Bert needs off the 1st line.
how concerned are Wings fans about the goalie situation ?
As a fan, not worried at all. What I am worried about is team defense. That was a huge problem last year and already I see it happening again (probably because during the off-season they didn't fix one thing with what they admitted was their biggest problem last year) For example, the Buffalo game, Ozzie was hung out to dry and had no chance on many of those goals.This is my take on it. We lost about 115-120 goals this season. Fans here think Abdelkader, Helm, and Leino will make up a lot of those goals up. I think they are dreaming. Abs needs another year in GR but Franzen's injury changed that plan. Helm is a grinder, not a 20 goal scorer. Leino has the chance to be someone who can replace Hudler points wise, but in his first year? Doubt it. He looks good though. Other additions this off season were Eaves (LOL) and Bert. Babs is still under the impression that Bert is a power forward and belongs on the 1st line with Hank and Pavs. So far he has done squat on that line and imo taken points away from our top two players. Homer should be there and Bert put back on the 3rd line. In the Sabres game Babs finally changed it up and boom, Homer gets a goal on the 1st line with Hanks and Pavs. Anyway, point being, we could get away with a bad team D last year because we had goal scorers. We lose 115 goals and we still are playeing horrid team defense. This is what concerns me. Ozzie is fine imo. If I have any concern with goalies it would be that I don't know if Howard is our future. But it's his first year with the big club so I am perfectly willing to wait and see if I am going to be proven wrong.
As a fan, not worried at all. What I am worried about is team defense. That was a huge problem last year and already I see it happening again (probably because during the off-season they didn't fix one thing with what they admitted was their biggest problem last year) For example, the Buffalo game, Ozzie was hung out to dry and had no chance on many of those goals.This is my take on it. We lost about 115-120 goals this season. Fans here think Abdelkader, Helm, and Leino will make up a lot of those goals up. I think they are dreaming. Abs needs another year in GR but Franzen's injury changed that plan. Helm is a grinder, not a 20 goal scorer. Leino has the chance to be someone who can replace Hudler points wise, but in his first year? Doubt it. He looks good though. Other additions this off season were Eaves (LOL) and Bert. Babs is still under the impression that Bert is a power forward and belongs on the 1st line with Hank and Pavs. So far he has done squat on that line and imo taken points away from our top two players. Homer should be there and Bert put back on the 3rd line. In the Sabres game Babs finally changed it up and boom, Homer gets a goal on the 1st line with Hanks and Pavs. Anyway, point being, we could get away with a bad team D last year because we had goal scorers. We lose 115 goals and we still are playeing horrid team defense. This is what concerns me. Ozzie is fine imo. If I have any concern with goalies it would be that I don't know if Howard is our future. But it's his first year with the big club so I am perfectly willing to wait and see if I am going to be proven wrong.
why dont you tank and go for Taylor hall?thats what the buffoons in Toronto would recommend.
Steve, or anyone else.Is Datysuk playing tonight? He is in my other league and need to know .Thanks
Everything I have heard had him ready to go again tonight. I will keep an ear out all day and let you know. I have him on 2 other fantasy teams so I need to know as well.
Everything I have heard had him ready to go again tonight. I will keep an ear out all day and let you know. I have him on 2 other fantasy teams so I need to know as well.
thanks, got him too! I need this to be very short term, Im counting on him big time this year for about 80pts or more and +20 hopefully. Some pims would be nice too, but not expected. :club:

My god this team is hard to watch. Sadly my free centre ice ran out this weekend so it's back to mostly watching Wings games and they have been very hard to watch. Hank and Pavs are off to their usual slow start but should start picking up the pace a bit now I hope. D is still weak imo. Ozzie let in a laughable goal in Phx on Thursday. Howard looked decent in Colorado but we still lost late. It's odd not 4 lines with legit threats on each. I know I sound like a broken record but I am just not at all pleased with the offseason and it is still showing. The town is already freaking out, at least the onew who call into the shows but they clearly know nothing about hockey. It still amazes me that radio show hosts and the callers thought Helm was going to replace Hudler. Helm is awesome, but I never thought he was going to be a 25+ goal guy. He reminds me too much of a young Draper, fast, gritty, can make a play every now and then. But a goal scoring threat he was not imo. Same with Abdelkader. I think he can be a 20/20 guy but not for a few years and people are already down on him for not looking like a 30 goal guy. It's weird and a little annoying. Bert still sucks donkey balls imo. But at least he is off the 1st line.