Official Detroit Red Wings Thread

played pretty good and lost in 3OTs. Gonna be a dogfight going back to Anaheim.
I don't think they played all that good. 1st period was a pretty even. Good at times and horrible and sloppy at times. 2nd period was all Ducks. They looked like they wanted it more. I have not witnessed a game where during regulation more time was spent in the Ducks offensive zone watching the Wings skate around trying to get the puck. It really bothers me. I thought when it happened in Game 1 it was just rust, now I know it is not rust.3rd. Even period for both teams. 1st OT for the first 8 minutes it was all Ducks. 6-0 on shots if I remember correctly and then after that through the end of the game it was all RW. If they played the first two periods like they did half the 1st ot and all of the 2nd, they would have won. Series isn't close to being over but we need to find a way to get some control back for 3 periods. Datsyuk and Zetterberg need to dress for one of these games and play as well.
  • Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they played all that good. 1st period was a pretty even. Good at times and horrible and sloppy at times. 2nd period was all Ducks. They looked like they wanted it more. I have not witnessed a game where during regulation more time was spent in the Ducks offensive zone watching the Wings skate around trying to get the puck. It really bothers me. I thought when it happened in Game 1 it was just rust, now I know it is not rust.3rd. Even period for both teams. 1st OT for the first 8 minutes it was all Ducks. 6-0 on shots if I remember correctly and then after that through the end of the game it was all RW. If they played the first two periods like they did half the 1st ot and all of the 2nd, they would have won. Series isn't close to being over but we need to find a way to get some control back for 3 periods. Datsyuk and Hossa need to dress for one of these games and play as well.
FYP - IMO, Zetterberg has been pretty solid. But all 3 of them need to start scoring some goals. Datsyuk and Hossa haven't necessarily played badly, but the Ducks are doing a pretty decent job of containing them. They have certainly had some very good scoring chances and just can't bury it. Hossa had like almost 10 shots last game. So hopefully it starts going in soon for them. We definitely need that boost in the offense and the PP needs to get better still. The PK has not been good at all, so they really need to stay out of the box or improve on the PK or we could be in some trouble. That being said, I'm not too worried yet. I was really hoping to go to Anaheim up 2-0, and it was looking like it might happen by OT2, but unfortunately Hiller stood on his head and they got lucky. We just need to punish them in Anaheim (we are out-hitting them substantially if I recall), continue to dominate the face off circle and take advantage of opportunities that arise (like the 3 on 1 at the end where Zetts could have passed earlier or shot the puck and waited too long). It's gonna be a long, tough, entertaining series. Hopefully Rafalski is back by game 4 at least! Go Wings!

The local color guy called it at the end of period 2. He said the way this game was called for both sides that this game will be decided only by the refs. He called it.No excuse to not play the first 35 minutes of this game and I hate whining about refs but this is just pathetic. After watching the replay the whistle was still blown after the fucking puck went in. So if he doesn't wave it off can they review it? fucking cock

That was pure robbery.Steve, the rule is not when the whistle is blown, it's when he intends to blow it, so there's nothing you can really do. Still a blown call though. That's ****ing rough.

Totally agree, that the Wings got screwed. But hand it to Hiller, played a phenomenal game again.

Watching the TSN guys actually question whether he blew the whistle before or after the puck went in is making me physically sick. The fact that the rule is "when the ref INTENDED to blow the whistle" only makes it worse. As awesome as the games have been, the way the refs are impacting them is fucking pathetic. Might as well be the NBA.

meh, shouldn't have come down to shitty officiating, the wings were flat for most of periods 1 and 2. Must-win tomorrow, let's see if the Wings can respond.

I would love to have to have seen the faces of the guys in Toronto who review goals. I am still pissed but whatever. It annoys me more about how inconsistent things are with regard to covered pucks. I watched some 2nd round game where McCreary blew 2 whistles way too early but then you see a few plays later where a goalie clearly has the puck covered up and people are taking whacks at him until the ref can skate to a point to get a better view and then blow the play dead. Watson decided to blow the whistle before taking the one second it would have taken him to get in better position and see the puck sitting there blatantly out in the open. Someone has to get it through all the refs heads to either blow it the minute you lose sight or blow it once you got to a certain position to see if it is indeed covered up. Not blow whichever way they feel like it at that time. Before that debacle I had other issues to complain about.Shot selection was horrible. 11 shots from beyond the blue line. No screens, powerplay shots from the point before anyone could even get close enough to screen Hiller or to be there for a rebound. First 35 minutes were painful to watch as a Wings fan. They were chasing the Duck players all over the ice and the Ducks D was smothering the Wings. It wasn't until they were down 2-0 till they started showing some life but just couldn't get it done. This was an issue during the reg season but in reverse. We would play the first 40 minutes and then not show up for the last 20. This time we were flat for 35 and then it was almost too late. 5 quality scoring chances after 40 minutes. Hiller is good but we helped make him look good last night. He made a handfull of decent saves, the rest were all easy. Oh well, must win tomorrow, gotta go out and play 60 minutes and if you lose, oh well, Ducks have been really good and deserve it just as much as anyone.

I had to watch the replay again (

) to see because I was hammered last night, but jeez, for such a game-impacting goal to be unreviewable is retarded. What is the reasoning behind certain situations not being able to be reviewed?As long as the wings split these first two away games (W/L) then it's anyone's series to win.
What is the reasoning behind certain situations not being able to be reviewed?
Goals disallowed due to the "intended to whistle" rule are not reviewable.

lol fryer, you realize that that quote gives zero explanation, right?So really, the play is dead when the ref reaches for his whistle. But what if he's a ref that keeps his whistle in his hand higher, near his mouth? The rule is so ambiguous. How can you set a rule to make a play dead at an unidentifiable time? WHEN THE WHISTLE BLOWS, THE PLAY IS DEAD. There, no confusion. Wings in 6*

lol fryer, you realize that that quote gives zero explanation, right?So really, the play is dead when the ref reaches for his whistle. But what if he's a ref that keeps his whistle in his hand higher, near his mouth? The rule is so ambiguous. How can you set a rule to make a play dead at an unidentifiable time? WHEN THE WHISTLE BLOWS, THE PLAY IS DEAD. There, no confusion. Wings in 6*
While every other sport that uses a whistle uses the clear and obvious rule of "when the whistle blows the play is then dead" the NHL has devised a plan to allow the slow retarded refs that they employ to have the ability to decide that when they INTEND to blow the whistle that is when the play is deemed dead. While it is a dumb rule imo regardless of what happened Tuesday night, that is their rule. And the rules state all the reasons on what can be reviewed and at this date there is no rule that allows them to review the play to see if the puck went in before the whistle. Probably because the INTENT rule can not be reviewed until we are able to put chips in the refs brains. I hope for the sake of the NHL that this off-season they look more into changing this rule. Why have a review system set up and not use it to make the right call. I don't want penalties and such reviewed but when a goal is scored legally and within the rules of the game they should take every opportunity to try and get it right. Plus Bettman keeps running around doing interviews saying that he is creating a "product" and trying to showcase scoring, so this whole debacle goes against that mission statement. Regardless, Wings put themselves into a position where that mattered. If they come out an play 60 minutes instead of waiting till they were down 2-0 in the second maybe things would not have hinged on that play. They got hosed but it's over. Time to take control of this series.
There is no confusion. It's got nothing to do with where the referee holds his whistle. It's when the play is over in his mind. The second he loses sight of the puck and plans on blowing the whistle. It's not reviewable because you can't see inside a person's mind. It's very much unambiguous, to the referee. If he goes to blow the whistle when he loses sight of the puck, and knows it's not in, he waves it off immediately in this case. It's unfortunate that he blew the call, but in his mind, the puck was frozen.

weee, couldn't watch the first 50 or so minutes since the g/f was graduating college, but looked good on the scoreboard!