Season Is Too Long

I work 'seasonal' for a major league team... that sucks.. and has always sucked... and probably always will suck. Next weekend is our big "FanFest" where people come out and get autographs and play on the field all day...and I have to sit there and pretend to be excited about the upcoming season..knowing that we are likely to lose 80 games again.What amazes me is that there are still 20,000+ fans at each game.Since "my team" has no chance of even coming close to winning a penant... who do you guys/gals think will win their division and make it to the Series?I'll take Boston Cleveland and Seatle in the ALAtlanta Houston and Arizona in the NLSeries: Boston and Arizona

I work 'seasonal' for a major league team... that sucks.. and has always sucked... and probably always will suck. Next weekend is our big "FanFest" where people come out and get autographs and play on the field all day...and I have to sit there and pretend to be excited about the upcoming season..knowing that we are likely to lose 80 games again.What amazes me is that there are still 20,000+ fans at each game.Since "my team" has no chance of even coming close to winning a penant... who do you guys/gals think will win their division and make it to the Series?I'll take Boston Cleveland and Seatle in the ALAtlanta Houston and Arizona in the NLSeries: Boston and Arizona
I'll make a more definitive prediction when it's closer to the start of the season - once rosters are settled and postseason moves are made. For now though, I'm leaning Red Sox, Tigers, and Angels in the AL. Cleveland's good no doubt, but I think there's a very good chance that either Sabathia or Carmona breaks down next year after this year's work load. I think that combined with the upgrades the Tigers have made makes Detroit the favorites.I don't have as good a handle on the NL, but I'm skeptical that Houston can take the division. That goes double if Tejada can't get into the US.
I'll make a more definitive prediction when it's closer to the start of the season - once rosters are settled and postseason moves are made. For now though, I'm leaning Red Sox, Tigers, and Angels in the AL. Cleveland's good no doubt, but I think there's a very good chance that either Sabathia or Carmona breaks down next year after this year's work load. I think that combined with the upgrades the Tigers have made makes Detroit the favorites.I don't have as good a handle on the NL, but I'm skeptical that Houston can take the division. That goes double if Tejada can't get into the US.
Houston doesn't have a chance.I predict Dodgers, Reds/Cubs, Mets
coming from an indians fan, detroit>cleveland as it stands right now.
Houston doesn't have a chance.I predict Dodgers, Reds/Cubs, Mets
I am definitely probably biased being a Braves fan, but if the Mets don't get another starter they have no chance to win the divisionMy picks right now would be D'Backs, Phillies, and Cubs (only because someone has to win this terrible division, probably 6 better teams in the league)As for the AL...BoSox, Tigers (in a really good battle with the Indians), and the Angels
I am definitely probably biased being a Braves fan, but if the Mets don't get another starter they have no chance to win the divisionMy picks right now would be D'Backs, Phillies, and Cubs (only because someone has to win this terrible division, probably 6 better teams in the league)As for the AL...BoSox, Tigers (in a really good battle with the Indians), and the Angels
the NL Central isn't that weakMilwaukee, Chicago, and Cincinnati will be forces to be reckoned with in the NL this year
What makes you say that Cincinnati will be a good team this year?
their pitching staffBronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang are both legitimate Cy Young award contenders.Homer Bailey and Edinson Volquez while young are both very good pitchers in their own right, and can give a good 6 and possibly 7 innings in any given game.That takes it to Mike Stanton, David Weathers, and Francisco Cordero in the bullpen. I like their chances.
their pitching staffBronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang are both legitimate Cy Young award contenders.Homer Bailey and Edinson Volquez while young are both very good pitchers in their own right, and can give a good 6 and possibly 7 innings in any given game.That takes it to Mike Stanton, David Weathers, and Francisco Cordero in the bullpen. I like their chances.
I think the bolded highlights the difference between the AL and the NL quite nicely.As for Bailey and Volquez, I disagree. I think they can give 130-140 pitches every damn game and I know Dusty agrees with me. Honestly I thought Mike Stanton retired years ago. I looked him up and this would scare me as a Reds fan:2005: 89 ERA+ 1.50 WHIP2006: 109 ERA+ 1.43 WHIP2007: 79 ERA+ 1.63 WHIPNow ERA/ERA+ is not a good indicator for relievers because of inherited runners and whatnot, but that's a lot of baserunners for a reliever to be giving up. And now he's 41. And pitching in a bandbox. That could get ugly.As for the larger point, I don't quite see Cincinnati competing this year.
As for Bailey and Volquez, I disagree. I think they can give 130-140 pitches every damn game and I know Dusty agrees with me.
Well played sir
As for the larger point, I don't quite see Cincinnati competing this year.
Couldn't agree with you much more.
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm sorry, I thought you said Arroyo was a legit Cy Young contender. LOL.....I'll wait for you to fix your post.....Come on...you can't be serious. Harang is legit, Arroyo is an okay pitcher...pretty solid......but not even CLOSE to one of the best pitchers in the NL...esp. with all the young arms in the NL West....The Reds are going to stink. Having two good pitchers isn't close to being enough. The Royals have two good starters too. Think they are a good team now? Stop.
I'm sorry, I thought you said Arroyo was a legit Cy Young contender. LOL.....I'll wait for you to fix your post.....
no fix needed...I stand by what I saidif I'm wrong then so be it, but I throughly believe that the Reds will put up a good fight this coming season
no fix needed...I stand by what I saidif I'm wrong then so be it, but I throughly believe that the Reds will put up a good fight this coming season
Well, I'm no Cincy expert, and maybe they'll be better than I think, but I can guarantee that Arroyo will not be in the Cy Young race no more than Gil Meche is going to be in the AL. Neither of them will be factors in the race for the Cy Young. Arroyo is a nice pithcer......but he isn't even CLOSE to Peavy and Webb and now..oh..uh....uhhh..JOHAN SANTANA or even John Smoltz or Cole Hamels or Harang and all the other great young arms coming up.
wait. Who is the Royals second good starter? Bannister? Because Arroyo >> Bannister
I didn't say that Bannister was better than Arroyo, I was simply saying that we had "two good starters" last year and we still sucked. Two good starters means nothing.And for what it's worth, our second best starter in my opinion is Greinke...and he will be better than Arroyo. ALSO the Reds had a team ERA of 4.94 last year in the soft National League...while the Royals had a team ERA of 4.48 in the obviously much much tougher AL....so I'll take the Royals pitching over the Reds any day. ALSO the Reds are now depending on Jeremy Affeldt to fill a starting spot.....lol...now THAT'S a joke. Affeldt wouldn't even crack the Royals entire pitching rotation.

I think the Reds are a great sleeper team. Their offense is pretty good, the bullpen is very much improved just by adding Cordero and if(big if) they get some good innings from the 3-5 spots in the rotation from Bailey, Volquez, Cueto etc. they could put up in a good record in a weak division. Harang is very underrated imo and I think hes the type of workhorse that would thrive under Dusty. Just hope Dusty doesnt go nuts with the young arms.For my predictions.Red Sox, Indians, Angels with the Yankees being the wildcard. I like Cleveland more than most and dislike Detroit more than most but still think it will be very close between the Yankees, Indians and Tigers for the last 2 spots. For the NL alot could change still between now and the beginning of the season.I would have said Braves before the Santana trade, but now have to say the Mets. The Phillies could still be very good, but I want to see who they will add to their rotation.I like the Cubs in the central. I think their team is very good for the NL now and they may still add Roberts. I dont think the brewers will improve enough to keep up with the Cubs. Having Kendall in their lineup will hurt them alot.In the West I think that if the Dodgers decide to go with the lineup with LaRoche and Ethier instead of Garciaparra and Pierre they will win the division, but I dont think that is very likely so Im going with the Padres. They still need another outfielder, but I still think they are better than the D-backs.For the Wild Card Im going with the Braves. Im looking for a big breakout from Francoeur(sp?), a big bounceback from McCann and for Kelly Johnson to continue to be one of the more productive 2B in the league.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I go to the first meeting of the season... and it appears that this years motto is something like "We know our team sucks but lets have fun anyways" --- sighOh well... it was free pizza last night and I got paid so win-win for me