Here's One From The Wee Hours Of The Morning...

Couldnt sleep last night, so fired up the old Vic 20 and played me some cards. After sitting for about 20 minutes at a 6-max $1/2 LHE table, playing about one hand, the following comes up:All stacks are over $50 (irrelevant). Everyone (except me IMO) has played the same ratio of hands, some aggressive, some passive. No real comments on any players as of yet.Pre-flop: UTG folds. UTG +1 folds. CO Folds. Hero on button raises with AdKd. SB folds. BB calls.Flop (pot is $4 I think) - Ah 4c 9sBB checks. Hero bets. BB raises. Hero calls.Turn (pot is about $8) - 7dBB bets. Hero calls.River (pot is about $12) - 9hBB bets, Hero raises, BB pauses about 8 seconds then re-raises. Hero calls.Results: BB shows 4s 4hComments please.

Your range from the button is largeThat means he will often c/r any pair. 3bet the flop, if he caps and leads the turn call down.
In a FR game I would agree with you but I think the aggro nature of SH games makes it more profitable to call flop and raise turn.

My thoughts are that the river card probably didnt hurt my hand as much as it may have improved it (for example, if I was up against A 4, I am now winning). The hands I feared on the flop were A 4, A 9, 4 4, 9 9, A A. If I was up against any of those hands come the river, I am either still behind, or just improved to having the best hand. If the board didn't pair (except the ace), I would have just called his bet.

I 3-bet flop, if capped i call down.Maybe i'm missing out on some value this way, but it makes the turn and river a lot easier to play which suits me better.

In a FR game I would agree with you but I think the aggro nature of SH games makes it more profitable to call flop and raise turn.
Its really a pretty marginal gain to wait till the turn to raise (probably less than a SB at most). I think its a good way to randomize your play...but in generally especially in the short term...just get the money in.