Official Cincinnati Reds Thread

Why can't my team have an official thread too? I'm guessing most posts will be flames after we tank in the second half, but that is standard.On a good note, we hired Dusty Baker and brought in Fransisco Cordero. I was upset at the Josh Hamilton trade, but we have too many quality outfielders and not enough pitching.Also the hire of Walt Jocketty makes me believe Bob Castellini was honest when he bought the team and said he would bring a winner back to the Queen City.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I don't think too many intelligent people agree with that statement.
While I think the hiring of Baker was questionable, it at least shows the ownership group was willing to get a "name" guy for manager. The past 3 hirings have been atrocious, ie Bob Boone, Dave Miley, and Jerry Narron. I worry about the good young arms in the organization with Baker's past, but I think the hiring of a guy with a decent track record is a move forward. I think GM Wayne Krivsky and now Jocketty will keep the reins on Baker with over extending the arms of Homer Bailey and Johnny Cueto.

There are a lot of rumors floating around that the Reds could be a suitor for Erik Bedard, but they would most likely have to give up Homer Bailey and Jay Bruce to get him. That aside if Bedard does land in Cincinnati that starting rotation has the potential of being lethal, and the Reds could probably be considered the favorite in the NL Central.

There are a lot of rumors floating around that the Reds could be a suitor for Erik Bedard, but they would most likely have to give up Homer Bailey and Jay Bruce to get him. That aside if Bedard does land in Cincinnati that starting rotation has the potential of being lethal, and the Reds could probably be considered the favorite in the NL Central.
I doubt there are ever serious talks on this trade. The thought behind trading Hamilton was you had Bruce close to being ready to occupy center field daily and Hopper there to fill in if they felt Bruce needed a little more seasoning. And I just can't see them trading Bailey. After the complete failure of farm system talent, especially in the pitching department over the last 15 years they are going to give Bailey every chance to be a solid every fifth day guy in Cincy for a long time.IF we were to get Bedard (and that is a HUGE if) the combo of Harang, Arroyo, and Bedard would be sooooo filthy.

I endured 10 years as Dusty (Dirty Pie) as the Giants manager... He came close to getting us a world series, then we blew game 6 and lost game 7. His techniques can sometimes be questionable.

I endured 10 years as Dusty (Dirty Pie) as the Giants manager... He came close to getting us a world series, then we blew game 6 and lost game 7. His techniques can sometimes be questionable.
Mark Prior would tend to agree with that.
Wow, we signed Jeremy Affeldt today. The future looks bright my friends, the future looks bright!
BWWWWWWWWWWAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAH....oh...Jeremy Affeldt. Lol......I lol'd very hard. Dusty Baker and Jeremy Affeldt together to lead Cincinnati to another fourth place finish. Be sure to post when you are pissed at old Jeremy and his 5.38 ERA as a starter..that's being generous. He is gonna get murdered in your ballpark. MURDERED!
BWWWWWWWWWWAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAH....oh...Jeremy Affeldt. Lol......I lol'd very hard. Dusty Baker and Jeremy Affeldt together to lead Cincinnati to another fourth place finish. Be sure to post when you are pissed at old Jeremy and his 5.38 ERA as a starter..that's being generous. He is gonna get murdered in your ballpark. MURDERED!
Sorry, I forgot to add the "sw" to the end of that. If you knew me at all, you would realize I'm very cynical about my team.But you get an E for effort Koop
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's how smart this ****in organization is. Trade Josh Hamilton, the starting centerfielder when healthy all last year. Insert Norris Hopper and/or Ryan Freel for the time being until Jay Bruce is ready.Good idea.Now they are in talks with Kenny Lofton. WTF????????Horrible idea.We have more than enough outfielders on the roster as is. WHY??????????????????

Here's how smart this ****in organization is. Trade Josh Hamilton, the starting centerfielder when healthy all last year. Insert Norris Hopper and/or Ryan Freel for the time being until Jay Bruce is ready.Good idea.Now they are in talks with Kenny Lofton. WTF????????Horrible idea.We have more than enough outfielders on the roster as is. WHY??????????????????
I think you're experiencing Brian Sabian syndrome. It's whenever his poison touches someone, like Dusty Baker, they become total buffoons like Brian. Welcome to the club.
I think you're experiencing Brian Sabian syndrome. It's whenever his poison touches someone, like Dusty Baker, they become total buffoons like Brian. Welcome to the club.
Yeah but Dusty doesn't make personnel decisions.
  • 2 weeks later...

Well today was game 1 of Spring Training. Now I don't put a whole lot of stock in spring games, but getting a look at the pitching staff is always good. Reds got blanked 8-0, but it was basically a horrendous inning by the great Gary Majewski. THis putz was damaged goods when he came over in the Austin Kearns trade. I think with the amount of arms that are in Spring Training there is a high probability Majewski will not make the team.Jared Burton was very solid which is a great sign. If he can pick up where he left off after last seasons All Star break he should be a quality guy the team can count on out of the pen.It will be interesting to see how Bruce and Votto play and how Bailey and Cueto pitch.I'm just really excited that baseball is back. After the football season ends sports are pretty dead for me. I hate the phucking NBA

Im happy that hopefully Keppinger will get to start now.
Keppinger should be the every day SS. The only thing that prevented that last year was Gonzalez's contract. There is also a slick fielding kid named Paul Janish who should be the everyday AAA guy this year.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ak8d...p&type=lgnsThey signed Corey Patterson and Jeffy Hairston Jr.I have mixed feelings about the Patterson signing. Its only a minor league deal which is really a bargain for a decent secondary player and this presumably will prevent Jay Bruces arbitration clock from starting, but at the same time Patterson cant hit lefties at all and will need to be platooned and Bruce is a much better player already and this hurts the Reds chance for a possible division title.Im really scared that Dusty will go with a lineup that doesnt include Bruce and Votto. Im also scared that Keppinger will be put back on the bench when Gonzalez comes back and that Encarnacion will be benched in favour of Freel at his first sign of slumping.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ak8d...p&type=lgnsThey signed Corey Patterson and Jeffy Hairston Jr.I have mixed feelings about the Patterson signing. Its only a minor league deal which is really a bargain for a decent secondary player and this presumably will prevent Jay Bruces arbitration clock from starting, but at the same time Patterson cant hit lefties at all and will need to be platooned and Bruce is a much better player already and this hurts the Reds chance for a possible division title.Im really scared that Dusty will go with a lineup that doesnt include Bruce and Votto. Im also scared that Keppinger will be put back on the bench when Gonzalez comes back and that Encarnacion will be benched in favour of Freel at his first sign of slumping.
I think both the Patterson and Hairston signings are simply to get a look at them. Honestly, I don't see either one making the roster. IMO the starting center field position and the leadoff spot is between Freel and Hopper. I lean more towards Hopper because of his bat. Freel is an overpaid utility player. Yes I love his hustle and versatility, but almost $4 million to a guy who will not play every day? If Freel has a good spring and the Reds can get a quality offer for him, he's gone. Given the opportunity, Norris Hopper can be a very good leadoff guy and CF. As far as Bruce, I think he has to show he is the man right now to make the Opening Day roster. They will not rush him, and another half season in Louisville would be just fine. Can't forget he is still only 20 years old. Keppinger may play himself into a spot where they have to deal Gonzalez. Paul Janish is a slick fielding SS and will be the every day AAA guy this year. I would rather Keppinger over Gonzalez as an every day SS.Whatever happened to Encarnacion after he was sent down last year worked. After he came back from AAA he was solid the rest of the year. I think this may be the year he lives up to the hype. If not, he will be gone by the end of the year. Krivsky has lost his patience with him, and when he demoted him last year it was basically his last shot. I think he has a solid year though.

Hopper is shit, he isnt good enough to be a 5th outfielder on most teams. I would much rather have Patterson or Freel in centerfield. Id probably put Keppinger in leadoff.

Hopper is shit, he isnt good enough to be a 5th outfielder on most teams. I would much rather have Patterson or Freel in centerfield. Id probably put Keppinger in leadoff.
Hopper played great last year when he was in. Solid BA, great OBP. He had several timely hits and was a good leadoff guy. I'll take him for 3/4 of a season till Bruce is ready.

He has the ability to put up a decent average, but its a very empty one. He doesnt walk much and has zero power, plus he is a below average center fielder. He does nothing that a Freel/Patterson platoon couldnt do much better.

He has the ability to put up a decent average, but its a very empty one. He doesnt walk much and has zero power, plus he is a below average center fielder. He does nothing that a Freel/Patterson platoon couldnt do much better.
Hopper does it at a much better price. I would like to see Freel gone if there is value out there for him.

Man what a surprise Johnny Cueto has been this spring. He has been working with Mario Soto (the ONLY thing close to an ace the Reds had in the 80's) and I read today that an unnamed scout with major league experience says he is the ace of the staff right now. High praises considering Aaron Harang is about as underrated as a pitcher can be.Please Dusty go easy.