Justin.tv

Abraham Briggs, a 19-year old from Florida, killed himself with pills while 1,500 people watched his streaming webcam on Justin.tv. Goddamnit.
He had told others on a chat forum that he planned to kill himself and posted a suicide note on another forum before taking the pills and turning on his webcam. Because he had made similar threats in the past, moderators did not take him seriously and other forum members even encouraged him to kill himself. He then posted his suicide note. "I have reached out for help so many times, and yet I believe, I was turned away because of the things I did, that it is a punishment I am willing to take, for I know that being who I am has only brought myself and others pain." While he lay dead on the bed after the overdose, many forum members continued to insult him, thinking the suicide was staged.
****ing **** this makes me sad. There's just no reason for it. No reason for Abraham to kill himself, and no reason for a bunch of assholes to egg him on. Now I'm no trained professional, but know that I'm here for you all -- I'm only an email away. And remember: there is no Geekologie in hell.Bodybuilder commits suicide live on web while viewers abuse him [metro]Thanks Asbo and Robert.RIP Abraham.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lolWell maybe if he didn't try to pull this stunt off in the past people would take him seriously. I don't see why it's the viewers faults this happened.
I don't care how many time a person makes threats, the moderators should have banned him at the time the subject was first brought up. It sounds like he would have killed himself either way, but it shouldn't have been streaming live on a largely public website. Stupid JTV moderators.
I don't care how many time a person makes threats, the moderators should have banned him at the time the subject was first brought up. It sounds like he would have killed himself either way, but it shouldn't have been streaming live on a largely public website. Stupid JTV moderators.
I can agree with you on that point. It should have never gotten that far in the first place. But if this was his usual prank then I don't think it is fair for some to condemn the viewers who watched and "egged" him on when he has done it numerous times before. That whole crying wolf thing our mothers taught us about.
It was the moderators at the body building forum that didn't do anything. It had sparked a 60 page thread before anything was done and 8 hours had passed before the cops came in and found him dead.Nonetheless, somebody should have had the sense of humanity to intervene and at least do something. Some of the comments were just completely ridiculous and make me sad to be human.

dealing and working with suicidial people every day is hard.On his first attempt he should of been banned and refered for counselling.some people do it for attention seeking, but those who do sometimes die by accidentsome people try it as a cry out for help, wanting to be really helpedthen there is the group who do really want to die. In this group nothing will stop them and eventually they complete there task. Then of course those who have mental illness such as Depression, Bipolar disorder and schizophreniahere are some interesting facts from a 2007 studySuicide takes the lives of more than 30,000 Americans every year. Every 18 minutes another life is lost to suicide. Every day 80 Americans take their own lives and over 1,900 Americans visit Emergency Departments for self-inflicted injury (National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey, total 706,000). Suicide is now the 11th leading cause of death in Americans. For every two victims of homicide in the U.S. there are three persons who take their own lives. There are now twice as many deaths due to suicide as to HIV/AIDS. Between 1952 and 1995, the incidence of suicide among adolescents and young adults nearly tripled. In the month prior to their suicide, 75% of elderly persons had visited a physician. Over half of all suicides occur in adult men, aged 25-65. Many who make suicide attempts never seek professional care after the attempt. Males are four times more likely to die from suicide than are females. More teenagers and young adults die from suicide than from cancer, heart disease, AIDS, birth defects, stroke, pneumonia and influenza, and chronic lung disease, combined.

lolWell maybe if he didn't try to pull this stunt off in the past people would take him seriously. I don't see why it's the viewers faults this happened.
I didn't say it's the viewers' fault, did the story say that?I just think it's pretty sad.
Do you still do kareoke on JTV Tanner? If so you should announce it some where when on cuz that shit is good.
Not recently, I usually leave the house if I'm drunk since I moved back in with my parents. And karaoke is only good when drunk.But I will let you know if I plan to do some karaoke.... or OD on pills.Too soon?

I saw a bit of the video. Disturbing and sad, yet boring at the same time.It was only like a minute of it, saw it on MSNBC and some foreign site too.I didn't expect him to be black though, I feel like that's rare.

I saw a bit of the video. Disturbing and sad, yet boring at the same time.It was only like a minute of it, saw it on MSNBC and some foreign site too.I didn't expect him to be black though, I feel like that's rare.
IDK why but this made me laugh. The topic isn't even close to funny, but yet Kurt makes me laugh with most of his random ass comments.
IDK why but this made me laugh. The topic isn't even close to funny, but yet Kurt makes me laugh with most of his random ass comments.
Seriously though, anorexia and suicide seem very white to me.
Seriously though, anorexia and suicide seem very white to me.
I wonder why this is. I completely agree btw, but it seems very strange. I don't understand suicide or anorexia and I don't pretend to know anything about either subject.
chrozzo no more drinkywe <3 ujust noodz
ill be on again soon enough..no DC too so yeah
i agree
More teenagers and young adults die from suicide than from cancer, heart disease, AIDS, birth defects, stroke, pneumonia and influenza, and chronic lung disease, combined.
im in that categoryand i havent been feeling good...doule bonus points if an FCp member in your death pool!?
You shut your face and live dammit!
Just as Kurt said, or I come over there and beat the crap out of youFight it you dam lizard
  • 3 years later...
I had a dream a couple months ago that i got really famous, like movie star famous, and all the JTV stuff I did was put out in the media and my career was over.
yeah...that sounds about right
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...