Strange Ruling Tonight

So I was at the Oilers-Coyotes game tonight and in the second period a the ref made a strange ruling I'd never seen before. Shane Doan stole the puck and went in alone on a breakaway but was broken up by a vicious slash by Sheldon Souray. The ref then awarded Doan a penalty shot AND gave Souray a 5 minute and game misconduct. I had never seen a ref call a penalty shot and penalty on the same play and was wondering if it was because the ref was calling intent to injure on the play, the slash was pretty violent. I'll add a link if the slash gets youtubed.

So I was at the Oilers-Coyotes game tonight and in the second period a the ref made a strange ruling I'd never seen before. Shane Doan stole the puck and went in alone on a breakaway but was broken up by a vicious slash by Sheldon Souray. The ref then awarded Doan a penalty shot AND gave Souray a 5 minute and game misconduct. I had never seen a ref call a penalty shot and penalty on the same play and was wondering if it was because the ref was calling intent to injure on the play, the slash was pretty violent. I'll add a link if the slash gets youtubed.
I have seen this before in a Nucks game last year. To be fair I think it was only a 2 and the shot though. Didn't see this play but if it was as violent as you say I think the call would be acceptable.
Rule 35 (h) Hockey Canada rule book. If a player on a breakaway in the neutral or attacking zone is fouled in such a way that the infraction would incur a Major penalty plus an automatic Game Misconduct. The penalty shot is awarded and the player serves the Major and Game Misconduct.Sorry I'm a referee.
Rule 35 (h) Hockey Canada rule book. If a player on a breakaway in the neutral or attacking zone is fouled in such a way that the infraction would incur a Major penalty plus an automatic Game Misconduct. The penalty shot is awarded and the player serves the Major and Game Misconduct.Sorry I'm a referee.
Thanks for the info It was just really strange because I'd never seen both before but the slash was pretty harsh and certainly deserved a major. Is there a rule allowing a ref to give a penalty shot and a minor?
Thanks for the info It was just really strange because I'd never seen both before but the slash was pretty harsh and certainly deserved a major. Is there a rule allowing a ref to give a penalty shot and a minor?
yup, it happened with Latendresse I believe. A high that drew blood on a breakaway incurred a 2 minute penalty and a penalty shot.The refs almost messed this one up by only giving the penalty shot but Carbo made sure he got something for the blood.