Lynch Him In A Back Alley?

Convenient that you put your examples in adversarial relationships and not that of commentator/real life friend versus competitior. A better analogy would've been, if someone had asked Obama's campaign manager the best way to stop his run to the White House..and he(She?) had replied, "Oh, I dunno..take him out back and lynch him!" Or better yet, if James Carville made some crude remark about Hillary Clinton and she said she was fine with it. Or if the white car salesman and the black car salesman were good friends and their was no contempt. And no, neither one gets fired.
No, I put my examples in public settings. You do understand the difference, right? Me making fun of DN and calling him gay in the forum, all good. Me making fund of DN and calling him gay when he invites me on PAD, not good, totally uncool. That's called stepping over the line.
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, I put my examples in public settings. You do understand the difference, right? Me making fun of DN and calling him gay in the forum, all good. Me making fund of DN and calling him gay when he invites me on PAD, not good, totally uncool. That's called stepping over the line.
No, your examples are completely different. If a white car salesman who doesn't know Jerome the Black Car Salesman from a ham sandwhich rolls out with a one liner about lynching, it's much much different than a friend sitting on the sidelines letting their tongue slip. I don't think it's that hard to differentiate, really.Edit: BTW, your examples are off again. It'd be like you making fun of DN and calling him gay in the forums and then he invites you on PAD after months if not years of being friends and you call him a fag while you're joking back and forth. And how is a used car lot's back room more public than the Golf Channel?
No, your examples are completely different. If a white car salesman who doesn't know Jerome the Black Car Salesman from a ham sandwhich rolls out with a one liner about lynching, it's much much different than a friend sitting on the sidelines letting their tongue slip. I don't think it's that hard to differentiate, really.Edit: And how is a used car lot's back room more public than the Golf Channel?
I see what you are saying, except this is CLEARLY not a friend sitting on the sidelines. From a business perspective, a meeting in a back room is a public forum, where the company is is implicit in what is going on. If, say, Arrowhead Honda were to let that slide, they would be opening themselves to possible lawsuits if Jerome is not cool with it. Now, in the current situation Tiger is cool with it, except it's not that easy. This was said not in a back room but on the air, in front of alot of viewers. Obviously it's an offense or they wouldn't have disciplined her at all, the offense is that you don't make light of early KKK killing sprees on national television. Ever, unless your a comedian, and even then it will have some back story, not some out of the blue slap in the face one liner. EDIT: So, your contention is that it is perfectly o.k. because she is close to Tiger and that because he doesn't mind blatant racist remarks from his friends it's alright? I get that, except it's not a private setting. Once you take that public you must answer to the public as well, and by and large that isn't right.
I see what you are saying, except this is CLEARLY not a friend sitting on the sidelines. From a business perspective, a meeting in a back room is a public forum, where the company is is implicit in what is going on. If, say, Arrowhead Honda were to let that slide, they would be opening themselves to possible lawsuits if Jerome is not cool with it. Now, in the current situation Tiger is cool with it, except it's not that easy. This was said not in a back room but on the air, in front of alot of viewers. Obviously it's an offense or they wouldn't have disciplined her at all, the offense is that you don't make light of early KKK killing sprees on national television. Ever, unless your a comedian, and even then it will have some back story, not some out of the blue slap in the face one liner.
Well, I guess I missed the part about her making light of early KKK killing sprees, because as far as I could tell, she just said 'lynch'. Lynching isn't inherently a black thing or a white supremacist thing. Mussolini was lynched.I mean, it's really irrelevant. Tiger was cool with it.
Well, I guess I missed the part about her making light of early KKK killing sprees, because as far as I could tell, she just said 'lynch'. Lynching isn't inherently a black thing or a white supremacist thing. Mussolini was lynched.I mean, it's really irrelevant. Tiger was cool with it.
That is where you are wrong. Tiger being cool with it is what is irrelevant. In our car salesman scenario, what if Jerome is cool with it, but Latisha and Gary and Jeremy, who were also there, are not? If they are offended, the company is still open to lawsuits. Same goes for The Golf Channel, and the viewing public. The problem is that the "viewing public" is mostly middle aged white guys who aren't really bothered by this. If this was NBC, and Pat Summerall said the only way to stop Michael Strahan was to take him out in a back alley and lynch him, much bigger backlash. The issue is the public forum, not a friendship or whether or not Tiger is cool with it. Public forum.
Also, that's what the joke is doing. Otherwise, it wouldn't be called a joke, IE making light of an issue.
That is where you are wrong. Tiger being cool with it is what is irrelevant. In our car salesman scenario, what if Jerome is cool with it, but Latisha and Gary and Jeremy, who were also there, are not? If they are offended, the company is still open to lawsuits. Same goes for The Golf Channel, and the viewing public. The problem is that the "viewing public" is mostly middle aged white guys who aren't really bothered by this. If this was NBC, and Pat Summerall said the only way to stop Michael Strahan was to take him out in a back alley and lynch him, much bigger backlash. The issue is the public forum, not a friendship or whether or not Tiger is cool with it. Public forum.
I don't know what company you work for, but unless it's a continued negative/harassing/racist/threatening work environment and there's no reprimands (verbal and/or written) and the higher ups allow such an environment to continue being the norm, there's no lawsuit. Realistically, if it's solely a one time thing(which this was), ESPECIALLY between friends(which this was), then there's really no basis for a lawsuit let alone firing.And in your opinion, though I'm fairly certain I know this answer..do I(as a white man) have a right to be offended by this lady's comment?
I don't know what company you work for, but unless it's a continued negative/harassing/racist/threatening work environment and there's no reprimands (verbal and/or written) and the higher ups allow such an environment to continue being the norm, there's no lawsuit. Realistically, if it's solely a one time thing(which this was), ESPECIALLY between friends(which this was), then there's really no basis for a lawsuit let alone firing.And in your opinion, though I'm fairly certain I know this answer..do I(as a white man) have a right to be offended by this lady's comment?
Of course you have a right to be offended. As far as no basis for a lawsuit, really? Lets change it up. Lets say the leading salesman is a woman and I say, "We should take her out in a back alley and rape her, ha ha ha." One insensitive comment like that is all it takes for a lawsuit if the company is perceived as not doing enough.
Yeah, I gave some examples for you to back up my argument. Interesting enough, I don't have any black friends right now. I also never called you stupidhead, just pointed out your less than stellar intellect. Apparently you read stupidhead, which proves my point. (About you, anyway.)
Let me clue you in, I hang around a lot of black people day to day (that's not counting my family) and not one of them thinks this is a big deal, yet all of them were upset at the Imus situation. I read stupidhead, no... that was my way of saying you were acting like you were better than everyone and had a better pulse on how black people feel because you read a slavery book and somehow feel like you spent a summer picking cotton saying "yes massa" while getting whipped. You didn't so stop pretending you know how anyone feels about anything, let alone another race of which you admit to not have any friends in.Every single person has said you are incorrect, stop typing, read what they said, come to the realization you are wrong, and go back to trolling the religion forum.
Let me clue you in, I hang around a lot of black people day to day (that's not counting my family) and not one of them thinks this is a big deal, yet all of them were upset at the Imus situation. I read stupidhead, no... that was my way of saying you were acting like you were better than everyone and had a better pulse on how black people feel because you read a slavery book and somehow feel like you spent a summer picking cotton saying "yes massa" while getting whipped. You didn't so stop pretending you know how anyone feels about anything, let alone another race of which you admit to not have any friends in.Every single person has said you are incorrect, stop typing, read what they said, come to the realization you are wrong, and go back to trolling the religion forum.
Yeah, I realize you are the forum wigger who defends hip-hop culture to the death and all of that, and I am sure your black friends are cool with it, but what the black community is cool that it shouldn't be is a whole other discussion. I read probably upwards of 200 books about slavery. Interesting enough, I have yet to see you actually make an argument as to why this should be just fine except "my black friends are cool with it." That take alot of thought there?
Yeah, I realize you are the forum wigger who defends hip-hop culture to the death and all of that, and I am sure your black friends are cool with it, but what the black community is cool that it shouldn't be is a whole other discussion. I read probably upwards of 200 books about slavery. Interesting enough, I have yet to see you actually make an argument as to why this should be just fine except "my black friends are cool with it." That take alot of thought there?
That you use the term wigger to try and insult me shows how you lack intelligence or culture. I made several statements about why it wasn't a big deal as the Imus situation, do I need to draw you a picture because you clearly couldn't read them.
That you use the term wigger to try and insult me shows how you lack intelligence or culture. I made several statements about why it wasn't a big deal as the Imus situation, do I need to draw you a picture because you clearly couldn't read them.
Jada, we miss you in the hideout. Stop feeding the trolls and come home.

3 Things:1. Lois: You're wrong. So, so, so, so wrong. 200 books on slavery? Really? Seriously? 200?2. Jada and DrawingDead: You guys own. 3. Suited: I want you inside of me.Oh, and Lois. Instead of acting like you care about the black community, and thinking they actually give two hoots about this whole situation. Why don't you try focusing more on the real issues that plauge them.Thanks

Wasn't an insult. It was a description. I haven't even begun to insult you.
3 Things:1. Lois: You're wrong. So, so, so, so wrong. 200 books on slavery? Really? Seriously? 200?2. Jada and DrawingDead: You guys own. 3. Suited: I want you inside of me.Oh, and Lois. Instead of acting like you care about the black community, and thinking they actually give two hoots about this whole situation. Why don't you try focusing more on the real issues that plauge them.Thanks
Probably more than that. I was fascinated by slavery and the civil war era. I also was part of a household that did not believe in owning a T.V., so I had alot of time on my hands. I used it to learn shit. I read, everything I could get my hands on. This has been fun. It's always fascinating to me how little most of you have to say. Even you, Jon. Not only did you not add anything, you just questioned my reading history and asked for Suited to be inside you. Now, to be fair, you did mention that I was wrong, although you didn't bother to say why. So far, these are the reasons why it is perfectly fine to make this mistake on air: 1. Tiger is cool with it. 2. Lynch doesn't have to be a reference to his blackness. 3. They were friends. 4. Jadakis black friends are cool with it, and he likes rap and all things black so he would know. None of which is an argument that makes any sense, and I will debunk them very quickly. 31 I am not a faggot. If you called me that, alright. Whatever. If I was a faggot, that might be offensive. If I was a faggot, and my friend called me one on national television, even if I was cool with it 5 million other faggots may not be. #2 Lynching doesn't have to be a reference to slave time hangings. LOFL. That's about as weak an argument as can be put out there. Might as well argue that Tiger isn't really black, and therefore doesn't matter. #3 See my debunking of #1. #4 Jadakis friends aren't a big enough sample size, not to mention he is engulfed in the whole rap/hip hop thing which idolizes cartoon gangsters like Tupac and Biggie Smalls, not to mention is as offensive as it can be every step it takes. Jadakis sensibilities as far as offensiveness goes are compromised at best. This is like playing Madden with a Fumbleitis card. DD has came close, but really no one has managed much of an argument here. Challenge me if you think I am so wrong. Make an actual argument.
Probably more than that. I was fascinated by slavery and the civil war era. I also was part of a household that did not believe in owning a T.V., so I had alot of time on my hands. I used it to learn shit. I read, everything I could get my hands on. This has been fun. It's always fascinating to me how little most of you have to say. Even you, Jon. Not only did you not add anything, you just questioned my reading history and asked for Suited to be inside you. Now, to be fair, you did mention that I was wrong, although you didn't bother to say why. So far, these are the reasons why it is perfectly fine to make this mistake on air: 1. Tiger is cool with it. 2. Lynch doesn't have to be a reference to his blackness. 3. They were friends. 4. Jadakis black friends are cool with it, and he likes rap and all things black so he would know. None of which is an argument that makes any sense, and I will debunk them very quickly. 31 I am not a faggot. If you called me that, alright. Whatever. If I was a faggot, that might be offensive. If I was a faggot, and my friend called me one on national television, even if I was cool with it 5 million other faggots may not be. #2 Lynching doesn't have to be a reference to slave time hangings. LOFL. That's about as weak an argument as can be put out there. Might as well argue that Tiger isn't really black, and therefore doesn't matter. #3 See my debunking of #1. #4 Jadakis friends aren't a big enough sample size, not to mention he is engulfed in the whole rap/hip hop thing which idolizes cartoon gangsters like Tupac and Biggie Smalls, not to mention is as offensive as it can be every step it takes. Jadakis sensibilities as far as offensiveness goes are compromised at best. This is like playing Madden with a Fumbleitis card. DD has came close, but really no one has managed much of an argument here. Challenge me if you think I am so wrong. Make an actual argument.
Well some of us have already made the biggest argument in that the term "lynch" does not just refer to slavery and black people. Seriously, aside from your jaded opinion, what makes you think the black community was actually offended by this? Because you read some books on slavery, that gives you the right to speak on behalf of an entire race?
Well some of us have already made the biggest argument in that the term "lynch" does not just refer to slavery and black people. Seriously, aside from your jaded opinion, what makes you think the black community was actually offended by this? Because you read some books on slavery, that gives you the right to speak on behalf of an entire race?
Nope. Because of my knowledge on the subject I can be offended as well. I can educate you on it if you would like. I obviously cannot speak for the whole black community, but I can educate them as well if need be. If they are not offended, they damn well should be. As far as lynch not really being a black thing, then why apologize? If nothing is wrong with whats being said, it's just poor taste, then why a suspension? As far as being educated on the history of slavery, the workings of the KKK, civil war era, civil rights movement, it gives me insight that you may not have. How "lynching" wasn't some sort of joke, and happened by the thousands. This wasn't a punishment- this was just an act that took place because you were black, that's it. Along with the lynching, they may just kill your children first, in front of you, while you watch. For the fun of it, they may tie you to the back of a truck... do I really need to go through all of this. It's slip of the tongue, sure, but an insanely egregious one. Jaded opinion? Are you kidding me? I'm the only one in this thread who ISN'T jaded. So, I take it from your whole thing you think that because lynch doesn't have to refer to that era than it's no big deal? I see what you are saying, but it's very funny to me that anyone wouldn't connect the dots there.
He must've meant me.Seriously, what did I say about this "Suited" thing!
We need to resolve this. Maybe a thread (with a poll) to settle it. Loser has to forefit all rights to the Suited name.Are you man enough? Im not, but I can pretend.
As far as lynch not really being a black thing, then why apologize? If nothing is wrong with whats being said, it's just poor taste, then why a suspension?
When's the last time a black person was lynched just because they were black? She apologized because of people like you. People that still think "lynch" only applies to black people. You do realize that word was not coined for them? There are words that have had different connotations over the years. But any connection the word had with blacks is long gone. There are certain words that I tend to stay away from when talking. The word nigger for example, is a word that should be offensive, to anyone. So if the reporter would have said, "lynch that nigger..." Then things would be much different. So in closing, I just thought you should know it's the year 2008. Things change, even words. I'd like to call it vocabulary evoluti...oh wait...