Is anyone going to the opening night, tonight?I'll beeee thereeeee
Hi. Opening night was this morning at 12:01, when I went.I actually really liked it. I'll try to avoid any spoilers. I just though it was amazing how fully they committed to the first person perspective thing. I was entertained the whole time and a bit scared too.
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. Opening night was this morning at 12:01, when I went.I actually really liked it. I'll try to avoid any spoilers. I just though it was amazing how fully they committed to the first person perspective thing. I was entertained the whole time and a bit scared too.
Well'p.. you convinced me.. i'm seeing it
Well, I live in a small-enough town where we get 12:01 showings....mayyybe once a year. So to me, the premier is still tonight.
Well, I live in a small-enough town where we get 12:01 showings....mayyybe once a year. So to me, the premier is still tonight.
Oh man.. I remember when they did the midnight showings with Lord of The Rings in my hometown.. damn that was fun..
Oh man.. I remember when they did the midnight showings with Lord of The Rings in my hometown.. damn that was fun..
We had those, the remake of the original Star Wars Trilogy, Transformers and a few other big blockbusters to name a few

Just saw it a couple hours ago. I was surprised that it ended up being only 80 minutes or so when I checked my watch for the time because it felt longer to me than that.As for the actual movie, I enjoyed it. For a 'monster' type flick, it was very good, and I enjoyed the 1st person perspective thing. It had a very genuine feel to the panic and everything that was going on. It was also definitely a good call not to cast anyone that was even remotely famous (or at least no one that I personally recognized from anything anyway).This is absolutely one of those movies which would lose a lot of its luster if you were to watch it on your own TV instead of a bigscreen. I may post some more spoilerish thoughts after more people have gone to see it.Edit: After IMDBing some of the actors, it appears that some of them were in a couple "major-ish" films, so I guess I was just lucky that I didn't recognize any of them since I preferred it that way.

Just saw it.-Duration of the movie is extremely short.. (roughly 80 mins)-The cam-corder perspective has its advantages and disadvantages-The monster itself, and the battle with it, is siiiiiiiiiick-Action and suspense was great and there were some comedic lines from Han-I thought the ending was horrible.. don't want to spoil anything thoOverall good movie, but I only wished they made the movie longer and that the ending would answer more necessary questions in the movie

Saw it this morning and loved it. I applaud JJ for making a 83 minute movie because making movies longer for the sake of making them longer ruins them (PoTC anyone?). I want to be entertained from start to finish so I don't need fluff to slow it down just so it has a 120+ minute time total.

I actually liked the Blair Witch Project, at least they were being creative with how they told a story. Thats about the only thing that has me interested in this, the story telling perspective could make it interesting.
Cannibal Holocaust played the angle of telling the story with recovered footage taken by the "victims" in like the '70s (I haven't a clue what year that film was made; that's a guess), but also had a bunch of super ****ed up scenes. Enjoy.

I thought it was shitty.Ok, it was mostly the camera. I didn't get motion sickness but I did get a headache, most of all I just thought it was annoying. I also think the people criticising the short length are justified for the reason that they could have done much more with it, it was just too sudden and many things went unresolved.I liked the action though.

Some people I've heard are complaining of motion sickness because of the cam work.
For the first 15-20 minutes of party scenes, I was getting quite nauseated...to the point where I had to close my eyes for a bit. During those scenes, I was really preparing for it to be the worst movie I'd ever seen. That said, once the action picked up, it wasn't a problem. I was prepared that there wasn't going to be much resolution. Also, several people had told me that you never got a clear look at the monster, which turned out to be a blatant lie. I thought the movie was quite good, and it's very impressive that they shot it on a $30m budget.
Cannibal Holocaust played the angle of telling the story with recovered footage taken by the "victims" in like the '70s (I haven't a clue what year that film was made; that's a guess), but also had a bunch of super ****ed up scenes. Enjoy.
+1 I bough CH on EBAY last year and it is a tough watch, especially if you watch the non-animal free stuff. It's good though.PS: If you've seen Hostel 2 (unfortunately I have) I'll give you one guess as to who Deodado (director of Cannibal Holocaust) plays in the film.
I thought it was shitty.Ok, it was mostly the camera. I didn't get motion sickness but I did get a headache
There were signs all over my theatre when I went to see There Will Be Blood that motion sickness was a possiblity for Cloverfield. I actually got a bit sea sick during Open Water so I don't have high hopes for lasting through Cloverfield.

Just got back from it, thought it was awwwwesome.. very original, something nice and fresh for a change. The motion sickness thing is honestly not that bad, once the action starts you get use to it. There are a few parts that are a little excessive with the bluriness with all of the running but if you just look down for a minute it helps a lot. If you've seen Blair Witch or Open Water you know what to expect.The movie itself though was awesome & the monster was totally badass. It had a great atmosphere to it, something different. Keeps you on edge all the way through. I guess my only issues would be that it was a bit short and the ending left me wanting more (Maybe that's a good thing).

interesting plot points about cloverfield from Gregg Easterbrook (TMQ on espn)SPOILERS CONTAINED...DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW

OK, to watch a monster movie, you must suspend disbelief about the idea of 500-foot-tall sea monsters. But if there were such beasts, wouldn't they be subject to laws of physics and principles of biology? Almost no explanation is given for the ultra-huge creature in "Cloverfield," except a hint that it was disturbed by a deep-seabed experiment. So it's a 100,000-ton sea-floor thing; Godzilla was said to weigh 20,000 tons, and the "Cloverfield" monster is a lot bigger. If this creature lived at the bottom of the ocean, why is it adapted to the substantially different pressure of the surface? Deep-sea creatures would die rapidly if brought to the surface, yet the "Cloverfield" beast strolls around Manhattan. How come the sea monster has lungs and breathes air? The creature must be an amphibian, or it could not leave the water. To possess lungs, part of its life cycle would need to occur on land, and a 100,000-ton living object in intertidal areas would, at some point in history, have been noticed.Even if you accept the monster-existence premise, other aspects of the movie defy reason. Two million people live in Manhattan; the monster kills all but a handful in a single night -- near the end of the film, rescue teams are taking out individual survivors by helicopter. Even knocking over skyscrapers wouldn't kill everyone on Manhattan in a single night, the majority would survive. (Awful as the Dresden raid was, most residents survived it.) The monster attack starts about 10 p.m., and by about midnight, significant military forces are in the city. How did they get there so fast? If an actual sea monster attacked a city, initially, police officers would fight it; hours would pass before military units arrived. The movie characters are trying to cross the Hudson and East rivers to get off Manhattan, but why is being in Brooklyn or Hoboken any safer with a 100,000-ton amphibian right nearby? Then, at dawn, the military destroys Manhattan to ensure the monster is dead. It is inconceivable a mere eight hours could pass from the very first news that monsters exist to a presidential decision to bomb the nation's largest city. Even if you accept the premise of a 500-foot-tall amphibian that has never been noticed by anyone in all of human history, the rest of the movie should make sense.

interesting plot points about cloverfield from Gregg Easterbrook (TMQ on espn)SPOILERS CONTAINED...DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW

OK, to watch a monster movie, you must suspend disbelief about the idea of 500-foot-tall sea monsters. But if there were such beasts, wouldn't they be subject to laws of physics and principles of biology? Almost no explanation is given for the ultra-huge creature in "Cloverfield," except a hint that it was disturbed by a deep-seabed experiment. So it's a 100,000-ton sea-floor thing; Godzilla was said to weigh 20,000 tons, and the "Cloverfield" monster is a lot bigger. If this creature lived at the bottom of the ocean, why is it adapted to the substantially different pressure of the surface? Deep-sea creatures would die rapidly if brought to the surface, yet the "Cloverfield" beast strolls around Manhattan. How come the sea monster has lungs and breathes air? The creature must be an amphibian, or it could not leave the water. To possess lungs, part of its life cycle would need to occur on land, and a 100,000-ton living object in intertidal areas would, at some point in history, have been noticed.Even if you accept the monster-existence premise, other aspects of the movie defy reason. Two million people live in Manhattan; the monster kills all but a handful in a single night -- near the end of the film, rescue teams are taking out individual survivors by helicopter. Even knocking over skyscrapers wouldn't kill everyone on Manhattan in a single night, the majority would survive. (Awful as the Dresden raid was, most residents survived it.) The monster attack starts about 10 p.m., and by about midnight, significant military forces are in the city. How did they get there so fast? If an actual sea monster attacked a city, initially, police officers would fight it; hours would pass before military units arrived. The movie characters are trying to cross the Hudson and East rivers to get off Manhattan, but why is being in Brooklyn or Hoboken any safer with a 100,000-ton amphibian right nearby? Then, at dawn, the military destroys Manhattan to ensure the monster is dead. It is inconceivable a mere eight hours could pass from the very first news that monsters exist to a presidential decision to bomb the nation's largest city. Even if you accept the premise of a 500-foot-tall amphibian that has never been noticed by anyone in all of human history, the rest of the movie should make sense.

omfg

At one point did it become necessary to take a purely fictional fantasy and try and make legitimate sense of it? Seriously, when? It's a fucking monster flick. Noone questioned Godzilla. It's Godzilla, he comes out of the sea and stomps on the Tokyo Tower and fights some other fictional character. Cloverfield is just a monster flick. Nothing more, nothing less. I was talking to someone who didn't like it because it "didn't make sense". You have to be pretty dense not to understand this movie. People party, large monster crashes party, people fight for survival, the end. Easy. Who said all the people died in Manhattan? Where did he get that from? That seems like an assumption because I saw it completely different. I figured they evacuated most people already. I heard no mention in the movie that all the people died. Also, the jets were all coming from Selfridge (it was said in the movie and I remember it because I live near Selfridge Air Base), and someone should tell Mr Wizard that during 9/11 Selfridge sent jets to NYC and it took less than 2 hours. It must suck to watch any movie and have to delve into this much. It's entertainment, not a true life story. It's a simple monster flick. Where is his article about Dracula. How the hell can anyone watch that since he can turn into a bat. Who the fuck can turn himself into a bat. Give me a break, how stupid is that. Anyone who makes a Dracula movie and shows him turning into a bat is an idiot because that is 110% impossible. Don't even get me started on Werewolf movies. It's a monster flick. It is intended to be outrageous and unbelievable. Link me to this douchebag so I can email him.

I just saw this tonight, and I'm really surprised this hasn't been mentioned.SPOILER ALERT

At the end of the movie when the action switches to them in Mexico or wherever, there's a shot of the ocean in the back ground. You can see a small, dark object flying from the top right of the screen into the water at a 45 degree angle or so, and then the scene reverts back to the "I love you, now we're dead" ending.No one I went with saw this.I haven't heard the 'deep sea bed' experiment part of the story, whoever said that should post some linkage.Based on that last scene, it tells me this thing came from somewhere else.I've thought about this for about 4.7 seconds, fwiw.

I was pretty stoned and I couldnt really take the movie, I thought it was lame potatoes all around.

this movie could have been amazing. instead it was merely pretty good becuase of lame things like them all surviving a nose dive helicopter crash from above the skyscrapers, the stupid spider things being poisonous, them having a face to face encounter with the monster, and the monster being revealed to early (and in previews for that matter). there were some amazing scenes though and it was a good idea overall