Michigan Wolverines

Sorry if this seems like a silly question.But in Michigan, are more fans Spartans or Wolverines? Like is the clear cut more popular choice? Or is it pretty 50/50?
I would say there are more U of M fans. Or at least they are the loudest and whiniest of the two. I personally am not a fan of either team because I did not attend either school but if forced, no question, go MSU. I despise U of M and I have to listen to their fans incessant whining on the the local radio sports talk station. Liz is a U of M grad and is rooting for MSU as well.
  • Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say there are more U of M fans. Or at least they are the loudest and whiniest of the two. I personally am not a fan of either team because I did not attend either school but if forced, no question, go MSU. I despise U of M and I have to listen to their fans incessant whining on the the local radio sports talk station.
It depends what part of the state you are in. Surely in Royal Oak there are going to be more U-M fans. I have never heard U-M fans called "louder" than MSU fans. I suspect you are just hear more pro-UM talk so you get annoyed by it. Although, from your posts in the sick thread I would not expect you to be the kind of guy to get annoyed by people.
Liz is a U of M grad and is rooting for MSU as well.
I find this hard to believe. If this is true, I will work on getting her diploma revoked.
It depends what part of the state you are in. Surely in Royal Oak there are going to be more U-M fans. I have never heard U-M fans called "louder" than MSU fans. I suspect you are just hear more pro-UM talk so you get annoyed by it. Although, from your posts in the sick thread I would not expect you to be the kind of guy to get annoyed by people. I find this hard to believe. If this is true, I will work on getting her diploma revoked.
You can stream 97.1 the Ticket online. Best to listen between 2-6 to the Valenti and Foster show. They do a lot of college football talk and many of the callers are UofM fans whining when these guys said anything even slightly negative about UofM the past 2.5 years. I am trying to think of exact examples but off hand I can't think of any. But if I do I will see if they have a podcast of it because they are usually entertaining. I remember one time they were talking earlier this season about what expectations UofM fans had this upcoming season and Valenti offered up 7-5. That proceeded to piss a lot of people off and call in saying that he was always so negative. He asked one guy to calm down and point out one positive point for this upcoming season. His answer, "UofM is the most winning-est college football team in history and they deserve respect." LOL. Sadly, that is a statement made at least 3 times a week by callers as if it has anything to do with anything going on with UofM and their 8-16 record the last two seasons.I have many friends who are Michigan fans (my facebook status page is filled with their crap on Saturday) and I have friends who are MSU fans. Interestingly enough, the Michigan fans don't or didn't go to U of M but the MSU fans did go to MSU. I don't care either way for the most part. I enjoy Ann Arbor, go there all the time because there is much fun to be had, but Michigan football and it's fans have annoyed me long before people ever truly annoyed me some 5 years ago. lolThis is the first year that I have actually watched uofM games because Denard is fun to watch. And yes, my wife is a U of M grad. Loved her time there and still begs me from time to time to move to Ann Arbor because she loved it soo much. But she is indeed rooting for MSU because she even finds Michigan fans for the most part to be incredibly annoying. And yes she enjoys sports. Huge baseball, hockey, and football fan. She wanted to watch MNF last night more than I did.I root for CMU if you were wondering. That is one of the universities I attended. I am never been one to understand being a diehard fan of a college team if you never attended the college but that is just me.
And yes, my wife is a U of M grad. Loved her time there and still begs me from time to time to move to Ann Arbor because she loved it soo much. But she is indeed rooting for MSU because she even finds Michigan fans for the most part to be incredibly annoying. And yes she enjoys sports. Huge baseball, hockey, and football fan. She wanted to watch MNF last night more than I did.
OK, I will find out how to get her retroactively expelled.
I root for CMU if you were wondering. That is one of the universities I attended. I am never been one to understand being a diehard fan of a college team if you never attended the college but that is just me.
It's definitely not the same if you didn't attend the school. I was indoctrinated at UM pretty successfully, but I've never been as much of a fan of any of the other schools I've been at. Here in LA though its pretty common to find pretty hard-core USC fans who never went to the school, mostly because we have no NFL team, so the Trojans function as our local team (sorry UCLA).
And yes, my wife is a U of M grad. Loved her time there and still begs me from time to time to move to Ann Arbor because she loved it soo much. But she is indeed rooting for MSU because she even finds Michigan fans for the most part to be incredibly annoying. And yes she enjoys sports. Huge baseball, hockey, and football fan. She wanted to watch MNF last night more than I did.
That disgusts me.
Here in LA though its pretty common to find pretty hard-core USC fans who never went to the school, mostly because we have no NFL team, so the Trojans function as our local team (sorry UCLA).
Well I guess technically we don't have an NFL team either.
That disgusts me.
Well there is one less person who will try and sleep with my wife.Mainly her displeasure with the football team is that she didn't like football back then and where she lived she had to listen to the marching band practice everyday and then on gameday could never get out of her driveway and that just made her mad. Broads, what can you do?

Well that game was a big waste of 3.5 hours. Spent more time listening to the incessant whining of the Michigan fans than any sort of cheering. Do they play Iowa next? That should be a laugh.5069638854_c81f72caed.jpg5069032947_79621b2212.jpg

Well there is one less person who will try and sleep with my wife.
You don't know much about my sexual taste if you think that disgust is a deal breaker. It just means it will be more degrading for your wife.
Well that game was a big waste of 3.5 hours. Spent more time listening to the incessant whining of the Michigan fans than any sort of cheering. Do they play Iowa next? That should be a laugh.
Really..? You go to a michigan home game, and they get killed, your team wins, and you are complaining about the fans being upset?
Really..? You go to a michigan home game, and they get killed, your team wins, and you are complaining about the fans being upset?
I didn't "complain" I just stated an observation. Michigan fans are so uppity.The only thing I would complain about was that Michigan didn't show up and made for a less exciting game. I did not expect a blow out and I surely didn't expect Denard to be held in check the way he was. I will put part of that on Rich Rod though because I think he made him pass more than he should have. Obviously that may be results oriented thinking but through the whole game we (I went with a Michigan fan) commented on the poor play calling by RRod.
One thing you should understand about him: he has very weird fan tendencies. It's not even that he's complaining, it's that he called it a waste of time. Most people would call a day like that awesome or incredible or just about anything but a waste.

Especially with those seats. I don't even like college football and I would have had a blast.

I didn't "complain" I just stated an observation. Michigan fans are so uppity.The only thing I would complain about was that Michigan didn't show up and made for a less exciting game. I did not expect a blow out and I surely didn't expect Denard to be held in check the way he was. I will put part of that on Rich Rod though because I think he made him pass more than he should have. Obviously that may be results oriented thinking but through the whole game we (I went with a Michigan fan) commented on the poor play calling by RRod.
If anyone is uppity in the Michigan/Michigan ST rivalry, it's Spartans fans. I am not sure you understand how uppity works.
If anyone is uppity in the Michigan/Michigan ST rivalry, it's Spartans fans. I am not sure you understand how uppity works.
I don't think anyone does. EXCEPT FOR BLACK PEOPLE!
One thing you should understand about him: he has very weird fan tendencies. It's not even that he's complaining, it's that he called it a waste of time. Most people would call a day like that awesome or incredible or just about anything but a waste.
*sigh*The time I had was not a waste. The game MICHIGAN played was a waste. I was talking shit towards Michigan fans. :rollinmyeyesatyou:I had a great time. I enjoyed the seats, I enjoyed hanging with a friend who I have not seen for a couple years. I enjoyed watching the MSU fans and the UofM fans get into fights in the stands and watch one Michigan fan push a MSU fan and get all red and scream about how he was going to kill the guy if he cheered for his team(with his 7-8 year old son watching his dad in horror). The cops coming was the next fun part. The hot dogs were pretty tasty as well. The key to a good dog is a soft chewy bun and they had that. Sadly they ran out of ketchup though.I am not an MSU fan. Never said I was. I just like them more than UofM so I root for them when they play Michigan. I have not watched one minute of any other MSU game since last years UofM/MSU game. So you can take your fan comment and stick it up your ass. Like I already stated, the only thing I have would complain about is that Michigan sucked so bad on offense and defense that the game itself was not as exciting as many thought it would be. I was pumped to see Denard. I have watched at least half if not all of the Michigan games this season because HE is entertaining. But not Saturday. I think I am one of 80K people in that stadium who felt the same disappointment.
That may or may not be the case. Again, not a fan of either team. Just enjoy watching these games and seeing Michigan lose because they are the best college football team in the history of college football.
That may or may not be the case. Again, not a fan of either team. Just enjoy watching these games and seeing Michigan lose because they are the best college football team in the history of college football.
I mean it is straightforward----to be uppity you have to be the on the lower side of the equation. Michigan is the better academic school and has long been the better sports school.....therefore if anyone is getting uppity it is Mich State. That's all....that's how uppity works. The word you were looking for to describe Michigan fans was probably "snobby" or "insufferable".
Like I already stated, the only thing I have would complain about is that Michigan sucked so bad on offense and defense that the game itself was not as exciting as many thought it would be. I was pumped to see Denard. I have watched at least half if not all of the Michigan games this season because HE is entertaining. But not Saturday. I think I am one of 80K people in that stadium who felt the same disappointment.
It was pretty lame, I agree. First game all season in which Denard really looked bad. He looked like 2009 Denard, nervous and unsure.
  • 4 weeks later...

What a game today!This was a huge win for the program, means we will go to a bowl game and won't have a losing season. That's progress. I no longer see a circumstance in which Rich Rodriguez does not get to stay for next year. Greg Robinson, on the other hand...

What a game today!This was a huge win for the program, means we will go to a bowl game and won't have a losing season. That's progress.
So Michigan fans should be happy to make the Meineke Car Care Bowl now?
So Michigan fans should be happy to make the Meineke Car Care Bowl now?
I get your point, but this is what we are looking at:
Pick	Name	Location	Opposing Conference	Opposing Pick1	Rose Bowl	Pasadena, California	Pac-10 or BCS	-2	Capital One Bowl	Orlando, Florida	SEC	23	Outback Bowl	Tampa, Florida	SEC	3/44/5  Gator Bowl	Jacksonville, Florida	SEC	64/5  Insight Bowl	Tempe, Arizona	Big 12	46	Texas Bowl	Houston, Texas	Big 12	67	Dallas Football Classic	Dallas, Texas	C-USA or Big 12	- or 88	Little Caesars Pizza Bowl

Best case scenario at this point is probably the Gator Bowl. Texas Bowl more likely.

I get your point, but this is what we are looking at:
Pick	Name	Location	Opposing Conference	Opposing Pick1	Rose Bowl	Pasadena, California	Pac-10 or BCS	-2	Capital One Bowl	Orlando, Florida	SEC	23	Outback Bowl	Tampa, Florida	SEC	3/44/5  Gator Bowl	Jacksonville, Florida	SEC	64/5  Insight Bowl	Tempe, Arizona	Big 12	46	Texas Bowl	Houston, Texas	Big 12	67	Dallas Football Classic	Dallas, Texas	C-USA or Big 12	- or 88	Little Caesars Pizza Bowl

Best case scenario at this point is probably the Gator Bowl. Texas Bowl more likely.

please put IL in the Insight Bowl (if they make one). I wanna go to the game