my nj poker club got raided!!!!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand what the problem is. You're participating in an illeal activity. You got caught. And if all you lost was a few hunderd dollars, consider yourself lucky. You could have been charged and gotten jail time.  The accountants and construction workers you mention still have places to get away too. They just can't play poker in the same place. I'm sure that there is somewhere else in the neighborhood or area to go to unwind. Poker is not the only thing to do I'm sure.  Maybe they could take some time and go to AC where it is legal to play.
So let me get this straight, you are happy living in a nation where guys with machine guns knock down the door, of people playing cards and steal their property? I'm pretty sure even Joseph Stalin let his citizens play cards if they wanted to. Do you really lack the imagination necessary to question what is obviously a stupid law, and a terrible waste of police time an resources. I really pity you.
Chuck, are you a cop? The point is not that its illegal its that it is a victimless crime. This doesen't hurt anyone, its not like this is some big drug cartel or terrorist organization. The only bad thing to say about it is that it is illegal, and you probably cant even give me a good reason as to why it is illegal. Why dont you and your cop friends go catch some real criminals, or would you rather shake down unarmed suburbanites with assault rifles, when you could of accomplished the same thing with just a hand ful of cops, no one needed to be treated like a terrorist or a violent criminal in this situation.
Although I see your point Aces, take it easy on Chuck.Gambling, in any form, is not ALWAYS a victimless crime.It has its evils, the same way alcohol or drug addiction does.Just because YOU are not being victimized, doesn't mean thatthere are NO victims. I don't think Chuck was incinuating that you were part of a violent or criminal organization, he was just stating factual informationon what the nature of the law is.

it was in north jersey... it was a large club, out in the open, local autorities knew of us.. in fact .. they stopped in all the time and ate food. my problem was this,,, we were not causing any trouble... just poker... and an occasional ping pong or chess match. If i walk into a local pool hall.. put up $25 bucks... the house takes a cut of the prize pool... we then play 9 ball with handicaps.. which those of you who play ,, know that is gambling. then the top 3 people get paid .. with cash... that is ok... but if you play a poker tournament with no entry fee... this IS ILLEGAL... that is insane... but it is the law.. They showed us... 23-45 , working class , no records or anything... Thats all...

First off, I'm not a cop. But the issue is not is this law right or wrong. It is the law at the moment that the game you were involved in is illegal. There are cases where I don't think that pot should be illegal, but it is. Personally I don't agree with it, but that's the way it is. It shoudn't be a law that I must wear a seatbelt, but if a cop pulls me over because I forgot to put it on, I get a fine. But that's the great thing about this country, if you don't agree with a law you can speak out against it and work to get it repealed. Complaining about it here, it won't change anything. Maybe you should take some time and start a group to get the laws repealed. Or find one that's in progress and put your efforts behind that. And as others have mentioned here, maybe there's something else behind the raid that you were not involed in.

I've avoided commenting on this thread until now:Article from today's Star LedgerRaid leads to gambling charges against officersPair from Roxbury accused of promoting illegal action at Dover social clubThis was definitely a underground club. The first article lists the stakes as very low limit, but this one lists NL and stakes up to 20/40. It's too bad this happened and regardless of reasons why this place was picked out and raised - this is bad for poker.

:cry: my club in NJ got raided this friday. It was an awesome place, there were about 45-50 of us there playing a tourney and some 10/20 and 2/5 NL. the door came down and about 60-75 officers in riot gear and assault rifles poured in. I almost censored myself. They had 2 german shepards, and even brought helicopters!!! Really.. they brought friggin helicopters. after 2.5 hours of hands on table and pictures , we left empty handed. even the guys playing ping pong got all of there cash taken. i lost 200 in my pocket and 400 in chips. What is funny is they only arrested the owner and 1 other guy for a child support warrant. no one else even had a parking ticket outstanding. Just goes to show you, poker is mainstream. Now the 35 yr old accountants and construction workers don't have a place to get away for a while. play some cards and have some fun. NJ gambling laws are all grey when it comes to poker. Nobody can say for sure if what we were doing was technically illegal since no rake was being taken. OH WELL... I guess its back to AC for me. If you play at NJ clubs ,,, be careful... thats 2 raids in 1 month!!!
Did you play at that place in Pennsauken? Is that the other place the got busted?
my point is that the officers probably have much better things they could be doing then breaking up a poker room, especially in NJ
Like what, busting other illegal operations? Why shouldn't they bust up the illegal poker club?
gee I don't know, tell me if its a crime who is the victim? These people are gambling each other with their own money, how is this different than a home game if no rake is being taken, it's a private poker club where people get together and play, it might not be as illegal as you think.and if you don't think cops have more important things to do than this, then your dick must be loose.
my point is that the officers probably have much better things they could be doing then breaking up a poker room, especially in NJ
Like what, busting other illegal operations? Why shouldn't they bust up the illegal poker club?
gee I don't know, tell me if its a crime who is the victim? These people are gambling each other with their own money, how is this different than a home game if no rake is being taken, it's a private poker club where people get together and play, it might not be as illegal as you think.and if you don't think cops have more important things to do than this, then your dick must be loose.
Obviously, these guys pissed someone off.
gotta pay the cost to be he boss!
Totally off subject, but thats one of my favorite BB King songs ever. "Paying the cost to be the boss"
The point is not that its illegal its that it is a victimless crime. The only bad thing to say about it is that it is illegal, and you probably cant even give me a good reason as to why it is illegal.
I can give you a good reason... Well, a good reason for the government anyway. Because in these home games (which technically this is) the government don't get their cut. If there is money moving around and there is no tax that can be assessed to it, it's made illegal. Yes, they'll tell you it's about the seediness that surrounds it (i.e. loan sharking, drugs, etc.) but it's all BS! It's the same reason the government has to sensor TV, because of the residual effects and the "poor children" who might see a woman's breast on Tv for less than 1 second.Yes, it's illegal, and we're all required to abide by the laws of this country, but it's a stupid law and should be repealed. Maybe someday enough people will see that we can control our own lives and don't need the government to babysit everything we do. That's why I'm a Libertarian, and not a big party supporter. Sorry, didn't mean for this to turn politcal, but this crap really irks me!
But that's the great thing about this country, if you don't agree with a law you can speak out against it and work to get it repealed. Complaining about it here, it won't change anything.
You're right. Complaining here won't change anything. But neither will speaking out against it, no matter how big a group you can get to support you. The blowhards running this country have no intentions of sticking out their political necks to rock the boat and make this country what it was intended to be from the start, FREE. Anyone who believes this country is free when you can't USE drugs in your own home, and you can't gamble with YOUR own money, and where taking money to give someone a massage is legal but massaging a certain body part is not, and all of the other victimless crimes that are in place either because the government can't profit from it or because the "moral majority" stiffs in this country can't deal with it, you're out of your mind.It makes the whole concept of America just look ridiculous. And don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, but I think our entire society needs an overhaul to get us back to where we are supposed to be.
We are the goverment. Of the people yada yada.It seems obvious that the general consensus is poker should be allowed. we need to petition the powers that be and change the law.Anyone agree?And dont reply that it never works, don't wanna hear it.

Can someone tell me why poker needs to be regulated at all? Apparently, NJ is just sprucing up bc they really dont have any other major crimes happening in that area.(sw) A while back when I was 17, I had a home game with like 25 of my buddies from the high school. Well, a few people were starting to leave, and a cop car came by. Were we all going to get busted for underage gambling? No, bc nothing illegal was happening. It was pretty busy there, so the cop just came by to check it out. There was no drug use or underage drinking, just poker. Heck, the cop even gave one of my buddies a jump when his car battery died in my driveway. I hate things being illegal for being illegal. It's worse than I hate Paris Hilton for being famous for being famous. If someone can give me a logical reason as to why poker in any way is illegal let me know. Don't people play chess in NY for money in the middle of the park. I don't see any difference between chess in the parks in NY and poker in a club.

You're right. Complaining here won't change anything. But neither will speaking out against it, no matter how big a group you can get to support you. The blowhards running this country have no intentions of sticking out their political necks to rock the boat and make this country what it was intended to be from the start, FREE. Anyone who believes this country is free when you can't USE drugs in your own home, and you can't gamble with YOUR own money, and where taking money to give someone a massage is legal but massaging a certain body part is not, and all of the other victimless crimes that are in place either because the government can't profit from it or because the "moral majority" stiffs in this country can't deal with it, you're out of your mind.
Well here's what you do. If your representive is not supporting your interest find out who is running against him/her. Find out if they support your ideas. If one does, help that person out with either a donation or time to get elected. Get a group together. You can make a difference. It's because you believe your can't that you will never achieve anything. Just think of Rosa. Because one woman had a long tiring day at work, the civil rights movement had a huge push for thier cause. Someone who to this day is admiried as an inspiration and hero. And all she did was sit down.The best way to start is to explain to your reps, and have proof, that poker is a vicimless crime. Show how you believe gambling and poker are two different things. Show how regulation will mean more money for the area. Maybe just start out in your county in getting poker rooms legalized. It's easier to move the small mass of a county before going on to the entire state. Get the local press behind you by having charity hold'em tourneys to benefit the area.
definately go catch aa murderer or a thief or even one of those ****ing priests molesting all the children .I am sure there is a lot more consructive work to be done then shutting down a gaming club.

it was dover..... the funny thing is ... the media makes it seem like they nailed a underground kingpin.... this club was not underground... it was out in the open.. even a website... they even had police in their all the time... no rake ... no other charges .. no drugs... no guns... no anything.... just poker.... the highest stakes were 15/30. limit.. and 2/5 nl.... this is absurd... i have no club now.. :club: i dont think i can post links but go to meetupDOTcom and search for 5th street.. or poker in NJ.. its there.. feel free to check it out

I don't understand what the problem is. You're participating in an illeal activity. You got caught. And if all you lost was a few hunderd dollars, consider yourself lucky. You could have been charged and gotten jail time. The accountants and construction workers you mention still have places to get away too. They just can't play poker in the same place. I'm sure that there is somewhere else in the neighborhood or area to go to unwind. Poker is not the only thing to do I'm sure. Maybe they could take some time and go to AC where it is legal to play.[/quotewhat are you doing on a poker forum, wouldnt you be more comfortable at the totallitariansforum.gov?
I don't understand what the problem is. You're participating in an illeal activity. You got caught. And if all you lost was a few hunderd dollars, consider yourself lucky. You could have been charged and gotten jail time. The accountants and construction workers you mention still have places to get away too. They just can't play poker in the same place. I'm sure that there is somewhere else in the neighborhood or area to go to unwind. Poker is not the only thing to do I'm sure. Maybe they could take some time and go to AC where it is legal to play.
Die-Tupac.jpg