I know there's some discussion in other threads, but I thought the game probably deserved its own.For Christmas, my family got a PS3 and Rock Band. Everyone's had a lot of fun rotating through the various instruments (drums, guitar, and vocal). I'm not particularly thrilled with the menu systems and the songs take a while to unlock, but it is pretty entertaining and engaging nonetheless. Haven't played beyond Medium yet. I'm not sure that I like the guitar as much as the GH guitar, though there are some cool innovations.Anyone else picked it up?

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im still trying to decide between a PS3 and Xbox360, then I will decide between Rockband and Guitar Hero.
If you're going solo, I suggest GH. If you'll be going co-op or a group, I suggest RB.
Im still trying to decide between a PS3 and Xbox360, then I will decide between Rockband and Guitar Hero.
As for which game Cobalt is right. Rock Band is best experienced with a group of family or friends. Guitar Hero is best suited for single player.

Just finished unlocking all 58 songs via solo tour. The other night, my bro and I were playing through Band Tour and I remember having to play four straight sets that began with "In Bloom" and "Wanted Dead or Alive"...which got a tad annoying.I've found that my vocal talents are severely lacking.

Just finished unlocking all 58 songs via solo tour. The other night, my bro and I were playing through Band Tour and I remember having to play four straight sets that began with "In Bloom" and "Wanted Dead or Alive"...which got a tad annoying.I've found that my vocal talents are severely lacking.
What pissed me off the most was every time we picked (Mystery Setlist - Let the fans choose) it was fucking "Here it goes again" by Ok Go. Ugh!!!I did vocals most of the first night we played it cause my bro is better on drums and Brigette was getting comfy on the guitar, and at first it was impossible, but after a few songs I started to figure out how to manipulate my voice to fit it where it needed to be.... although I'm pretty sure singing to go with the game sounds 10x worse than just my normal bad singing voice. I did do Black Hole Sun vocals on Expert though. And my only 100% on guitar so far is Blitzkrieg Bop on Medium. I still can't even touch a hard song yet. If Orange ever comes into play I'm screwed.
Haven't played it yet, but I don't have any vocal ability either, heh.Also, Bon Jovi annoying? Booo! (ok, maybe "Wanted Dead or Alive" qualifies after a while)
What pissed me off the most was every time we picked (Mystery Setlist - Let the fans choose) it was fucking "Here it goes again" by Ok Go. Ugh!!!I did vocals most of the first night we played it cause my bro is better on drums and Brigette was getting comfy on the guitar, and at first it was impossible, but after a few songs I started to figure out how to manipulate my voice to fit it where it needed to be.... although I'm pretty sure singing to go with the game sounds 10x worse than just my normal bad singing voice. I did do Black Hole Sun vocals on Expert though. And my only 100% on guitar so far is Blitzkrieg Bop on Medium. I still can't even touch a hard song yet. If Orange ever comes into play I'm screwed.
loooooooooooooooooolAlso, you can't multitask (vocal/drums or vocal/guitar) while playing?
Haven't played it yet, but I don't have any vocal ability either, heh.Also, Bon Jovi annoying? Booo! (ok, maybe "Wanted Dead or Alive" qualifies after a while)loooooooooooooooooolAlso, you can't multitask (vocal/drums or vocal/guitar) while playing?
You can if you get a mic stand or something.

If I had to rate my vocal ability, I can play Easy-Medium. On Guitar, I can play Medium-Hard...which will be better when we get our replacement guitar. On Drums, I can play Medium. On Bass, I can usually do Hard.

Did the first 10 songs or so on the solo tour on expert drums. Starts getting a little difficult on some of the songs after that(eg. that song by the yeah yeah's or w/e their name is :club:)

I played this earlier tonight at a friend's house for the first time, very fun.Only complaint is that the guitar parts are really easy compared to GH, and I hate the RB guitar compared to the GH one.

Probably going to download some new songs as soon as I can get PS Network to recongize that my credit cards are valid. Anyone else run into problems in that arena? I guess I should just call tech support.

I played this earlier tonight at a friend's house for the first time, very fun.Only complaint is that the guitar parts are really easy compared to GH, and I hate the RB guitar compared to the GH one.
I have only used the GH guitar one time at Best Buy before I bought rockband, so I can't really get into much detail, but I did notice that it clicks when you hit it, versus the Rockband version that has a softer feel to it.So when I tried to grab onto the Rockband guitar strummer, I noticed that sometimes I missed notes from trying to get it back to center and then back down, or something along those lines....But then I also figured out that you can strum the thing like you would a real guitar and it's much more accurate. You don't need to grab it, you just flick your thumb over it and let it take itself back to normal. As for going up and down, I haven't had to do that very much and i'm not too good at it yet, so I can't say any differences there, but I did notice that actual strumming works best on the Rockband guitar.Anyone else with any tips or advice?
I have only used the GH guitar one time at Best Buy before I bought rockband, so I can't really get into much detail, but I did notice that it clicks when you hit it, versus the Rockband version that has a softer feel to it.So when I tried to grab onto the Rockband guitar strummer, I noticed that sometimes I missed notes from trying to get it back to center and then back down, or something along those lines....But then I also figured out that you can strum the thing like you would a real guitar and it's much more accurate. You don't need to grab it, you just flick your thumb over it and let it take itself back to normal. As for going up and down, I haven't had to do that very much and i'm not too good at it yet, so I can't say any differences there, but I did notice that actual strumming works best on the Rockband guitar.Anyone else with any tips or advice?
I wouldn't worry about up/down strumming unless you're going for expert mode. It's only needed on a couple of faster parts in a few songs through hard. My only complaint about Rockband is that you're forced to increase the difficulty level in group mode. My kids can't handle the hard level yet and my wife and our friends suck and don't like these types of games. This may be a divorce worthy offence.Sidenote on the GH guitar: The one you were using was probably broken from being on display and getting trashed. Both of mine go back to center on their own.
I wouldn't worry about up/down strumming unless you're going for expert mode. It's only needed on a couple of faster parts in a few songs through hard. My only complaint about Rockband is that you're forced to increase the difficulty level in group mode. My kids can't handle the hard level yet and my wife and our friends suck and don't like these types of games. This may be a divorce worthy offence.Sidenote on the GH guitar: The one you were using was probably broken from being on display and getting trashed. Both of mine go back to center on their own.
I'm not saying it didn't go to the center on it's own, but it did click when you hit it. This is also what I've read about the differences between the two. It wasn't broken. I guess it's hard to put into words.

I want to get this game but the PS3 stays @ home w/ my brother when im @ school so it would probably never get played but it looks like a lot of fun

The guitar is just a matter of preference to me probably seeing as how I have played a lot of GH. Somebody mentioned complaining about having to increase the difficulty in the career mode being a problem, ditto that.

Ok, so I hit a song I can't beat.Freaking "I get by" by Honest Bob and the factory to dealer incentives.On medium.That fast part at the end with the hammer ons, I am not used to those freakin things and I just can't seem to do it.I tried it on practice quite a bit, so maybe I could squeak by, but I haven't tried cause I couldn't do it too good. I mean I can't even get 100% when it's on 50% speed.

I can't beat "Suffragette City" on Hard Guitar...which was quite annoying since I had to go back and beat everything on Medium to unlock all of the songs.

Downloaded like 16 songs and beat the game on Solo Drums Medium. Got about 9 songs through Hard before getting stuck on "Here It Goes". I have a really difficult time coordinating the "basic" Red-Yellow alternating with the kick pedal towards the beginning of the song.

• 2 months later...

Is It Can Be Boston Tiem Now Plees?(Playing the hell out of that Boston 6-pack over the next couple of hours.)In Drum news, there are only 9 songs I can't beat on Hard. Gotten through about a dozen on Expert.