Is Daniel Better Now That He's Divorced?

Just from reading how he was playing, he sounds like he's playing much better poker than he has in the past. He seems to be working out the kinks of playing aggressively. I don't agree with certain plays like calling with A 4 and pushing on that diamond board, but that's just small stuff. I like his new aggressive style, even hyper-aggressive. He still plays small ball very well, so that in addition to his new found aggression should make him play much better now. Either way his playing style will mean that he will have a lot more fun. I think we might have our old Daniel back. Plus more poker in the blogs too.

Daniel will ALWAYS be a world class poker player. No matter what life throws at him.

Just from reading how he was playing, he sounds like he's playing much better poker than he has in the past. He seems to be working out the kinks of playing aggressively. I don't agree with certain plays like calling with A 4 and pushing on that diamond board, but that's just small stuff. I like his new aggressive style, even hyper-aggressive. He still plays small ball very well, so that in addition to his new found aggression should make him play much better now. Either way his playing style will mean that he will have a lot more fun. I think we might have our old Daniel back. Plus more poker in the blogs too.
How can I get a copy of your poker book and does it cost extra to get it autographed?
That A 4 hand was a great play, he writes about why in the blog, if you even cared to read it.And DN has been playing great for months now....years now, lol. Pretty sure the split had little to do with it.However, that you shared you opinion in a new thread that references that he is/has recently going through a divorce is pretty classless and a little pathetic in my opinion.
That A 4 hand was a great play, he writes about why in the blog, if you even cared to read it.And DN has been playing great for months now....years now, lol. Pretty sure the split had little to do with it.However, that you shared you opinion in a new thread that references that he is/has recently going through a divorce is pretty classless and a little pathetic in my opinion.
I didn't like the A4 hand, I understand what he did, just not a huge fan of the preflop play. That said, I don't know the opponent or DN's image at the time which is a huge factor, so I can't accurately say anything, but as far as the actual hand goes that's the point where my internet senses kick in and I either re-raise PF or fold. Given the flop you can't really avoid going broke but I think there's better ways to play it PF, I'm the biggest advocate of not RR'ing pre unless you're absolutely forced to and trying not to play big pots OOP, but in this case I think a hand like A4o will play flat out horribly post flop regardless of how good you are. The only way that I can see calling here being the correct play is if the dude is willing to fold a hand like AJ or AQ on a A xx board but won't fold A9 and up PF. If thats the case I think calling and c/r'ing literally every flop is the correct play. That's probably not the case though and the truth is that you're going to fall in that category that we learned early in our poker careers about small Aces, either you flop TP and they don't have it and fold or they hit and beat you, there's rarely an in between like when you flop trips vs a big pair or two pair vs TP...most often though you're going to be forced to either check/fold or put yourself in a position to lose your chips if the dude happened to hit a hand. I'd much rather repop this sucker preflop and have him muck KQ, KJ, or mid aces pre than have him out play us with position almost every single time. That or folding preflop and waiting for a better spot isn't a bad idea either. 30 bb's with 1hr 30min levels is usually enough to crush people playing like an internet tourney player. I'd much rather flat call here with hands like 97o and stuff than A4 off. just my opinion.

In case some missed the blog, here is DNs explanation of the A 4 hand...

"Everyone folded to an aggressive player on the button who makes it 90k. The blinds are 15k-30k with a 4k ante so I need to call 60k with Ac 4h. I could also shove, but with about 900k that seemed excessive and I don't mind playing flops out of position. I'm more confident than the average player out of position I would imagine.The flop comes Ah Jh 8h giving me top pair and a flush draw. I check to the button and he bets 100k. His range here is as wide as it gets. He'd likely make this bet with any hand he raised with. I'm not only a big favorite to have the best hand on the flop, but even if I don't, the only way I could be in bad shape were if he flopped a flush, or had an ace with a bigger heart. That's extremely unlikely.I move all in for 700k more putting the pressure on him. If he has an A-10, or A-Q with no heart I think he'd consider folding. Actually I'm sure of that because he considered folding A-8! I firmly believe that my last hand was a worse cooler than the AA vs. KK hand, seriously. "
Hope everyone has a blessed and safe Christmas. Best of luck to both you guys next year.
It's all good sexy, God forgives you :-)
Hee hee hee hee hee. It's the guys who CAN'T joke about it people should wonder about, like Larry Craig. Good comeback, DN.
I didn't like the A4 hand, I understand what he did, just not a huge fan of the preflop play. That said, I don't know the opponent or DN's image at the time which is a huge factor, so I can't accurately say anything, but as far as the actual hand goes that's the point where my internet senses kick in and I either re-raise PF or fold. Given the flop you can't really avoid going broke but I think there's better ways to play it PF, I'm the biggest advocate of not RR'ing pre unless you're absolutely forced to and trying not to play big pots OOP, but in this case I think a hand like A4o will play flat out horribly post flop regardless of how good you are. The only way that I can see calling here being the correct play is if the dude is willing to fold a hand like AJ or AQ on a A xx board but won't fold A9 and up PF. If thats the case I think calling and c/r'ing literally every flop is the correct play. That's probably not the case though and the truth is that you're going to fall in that category that we learned early in our poker careers about small Aces, either you flop TP and they don't have it and fold or they hit and beat you, there's rarely an in between like when you flop trips vs a big pair or two pair vs TP...most often though you're going to be forced to either check/fold or put yourself in a position to lose your chips if the dude happened to hit a hand. I'd much rather repop this sucker preflop and have him muck KQ, KJ, or mid aces pre than have him out play us with position almost every single time. That or folding preflop and waiting for a better spot isn't a bad idea either. 30 bb's with 1hr 30min levels is usually enough to crush people playing like an internet tourney player. I'd much rather flat call here with hands like 97o and stuff than A4 off. just my opinion.
I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I mean, if the guys hand is weak, and you think he's weak, no matter what reraising preflop is a good play, I don't think that guy is gonna call a reraise with ace 8, or push with ace eight, and if he does then you really have a tough decision for almost any flop that hits your hand. I wouldn't even flat call in a cash game with ace four offsuit, where I can rebuy, it's such a fundamentally weak play, especially in tournaments where you can be out in one hand. But if you flat call you should reraise whatever hits the flop, because 95 percent of flops you won't hit anything that is strong. This is the point where DN just got screwed by the flop, because you either push or fold. But since he made the decision to call preflop, then I like how aggressively he played it post flop. Honestly I'd bet/fold to reraise, which is kind of weak too, but I wouldn't get myself into that position in the first place. Either way I think he played great in the tournament, but I wonder if his newfound aggression and joy of poker can last. We all know that Negreanu can be a bit manic depressive in his blogs. But what poker player isn't.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
When did Daniel get divorced? I did notice he wasn't wearing that wedding band anymore. Daniel is a great poker player...always.
He made the announcement on the blog in November.True, I think his poker is still excellent despite personal issues. Perhaps that's what separates the professionals from well, the lot of us :]
  • 5 weeks later...

I think that is what makes Daniel a top player.When you play at the table, you leave your personal life at the door. Poker is businessand no matter what happens in your life, you can't let it affect your play at the table.You need to stay focused on the cards, and the people in the game, otherwise you could lose a lotmore then ( in this case ) your marriage.If Daniel wasn't already considered to be A top player, he damn well should be now.Cause He's got the skills to leave his personal life out, and still win a few games.A divorce can be a horrible thing, I didn't get any details, and I don't want to, but it souns to me as if Daniel can just close the door and keep playing. Staying cool in his head.No one knows How Daniel's feeling when he goes back to his room, locks himself in for a bit of quiet.he might be broken up about it, and then there comes a bunch of people on this forum saying that it's a good thing.??I'm really not to fond of that remark.In my opinion, ( oppinion, opinnion .. Damn my English is rusty)Way to go Daniel.You ARE a Top Player.

Divorce is never easy no matter how friendly the breakup. I'm glad to see that Daniel is having a bit of fun even if it does affect his game some. For one thing, it's way too easy to crawl into a hole and hide when you're going through something like that. And that's the last thing a person should do. So to me, it's a good thing that he's been out having a good time instead of moping around. And he'll get back on track pokerwise too before long and be better than ever.