Was My Play Here Unethical?

This hand happened last night at Potowatomi here in Milwaukee. I was playing my regular $3/5 NL game and had been playing for about an hour. Bought in for $600, was up to about $1k when this hand happened. I was in the BB with 73 os (my hand quality doesn't matter here) and I had a very LAG player to my right in the SB. The guy in seat 3 makes it $35 straight, as the action folds around to the small blind he picks up his hole cards really really high, high enough were I can see he had the 7 cc (couldn't see his other card but I already had a big piece of free information by seeing just 1 card). He decides to make it $135 to go. At this point I was just going to fold and protect my stack, but I thought, why not re-raise and scoop the already decent sized pot pre-flop? So I did. I raised it to $350 and the original raiser puts on a song and dance and folds and the SB says " I know you saw my cards, I lifted them way too high" and folds. I told him that I didn't see his cards and said that I had KK to protect my image.My question is this, I obviously wasn't trying to look at his cards, but at the time I looked over to see what his action was going to be, I caught a glimpse of his rag 7 cc. Is it unethical on my part to use this and take down a pot? Everyone I talk to says it's his responsibility to protect his whole cards and any info like that I come across I should be able to use to make my decision. But I had one guy tell me that it was unethical because I used the information that nobody else had to win a pot, and that it was an unfair advantage.I personally think that if you sit down at a $3/5 NL game and don't know how to protect your cards from the other players, then you shouldn't be playing that high.What do you guys think?

As long as you weren't going out of your way to see his hand, I don't have a problem with this. It's not your fault that guy is a moron.Cards should remain on the table anyway so hopefully the dealer slapped his hand with a ruler.

I personally hate when I accidentally see someone else's hole cards because then it just screws me up. I'll get my money in the pot with a weak hand and try to push the other guy off his hand but sometimes he's just a donk and calls and then catches up or someone else is in the pot and i end up having to fold to him.

I feel like if you saw his card because the dealer flashed it during deal, your action is considered unethical.If the player flashed you his cards because he was careless and failed to protect his hand, your action is completely ethical.nh

Everyone I talk to says it's his responsibility to protect his whole cards and any info like that I come across I should be able to use to make my decision.
This is what I go by. If you weren't in the hand it might be ok to say something to him, like I can see your cards when you lift them that high, but when you are in the hand its ok to keep to yourself its his fault.

Protect your cards.End of story.Most times I will tell a player ONCE if s/he is flashing cards. For example I told a guy at the other end of the table from me that he was showing me his cards everytime he tossed them into the muck. But I only do this as a courtesy, and only warn once. I do it partly because I may not be the only one getting the information and if I miss it, I don't want the guy sitting next to me to get it. If they continue, I'll take the free information. I'll call a card or hand dead if the Dealer flashes ANY card. Oh and they're "hole" cards, not "whole" cards - unless you're referring to complete cards.

Everyone I talk to says it's his responsibility to protect his whole cards and any info like that I come across I should be able to use to make my decision.
you answered your own Q right here. if he cant protect his cards and you see them w/o trying to go out of your way to see them, then its not your fault, and its not unethical.
What if he intentionally showed you the 7, and had another behind and took it down?Would you be asking the same question?
That thought crossed my mind. But as I said he was a total donktard who was playing every pot and raising most. He had to show down a couple really shitty hands before this and I just felt he was possibly raising with A7 etc. Still, I was almost 100% confident that my move would work if I raised enough. I was right.
I dont think its unethical. I would have done the same thing.
+1 i total agree here he needs to protect his cards at all times.
weren't you worried about the original raiser in seat 3 that might actually have a strong hand?
I knew had a hand, but I figured the only hand that can call me is AA or KK. If he has AK (which i'm pretty sure he had) then he can't call off half of his stack with AK.I think on a pretty high level people. :club:
I knew had a hand, but I figured the only hand that can call me is AA or KK. If he has AK (which i'm pretty sure he had) then he can't call off half of his stack with AK.I think on a pretty high level people. :club:
Risky dude, risky. He can't call with AK but he can shove on you if you saw you looking at the other dudes cards. Well, I'm glad it worked out though.
Risky dude, risky. He can't call with AK but he can shove on you if you saw you looking at the other dudes cards. Well, I'm glad it worked out though.
LOL. He didn't see me see his cards. He doens't know what i'm looking at. For all he knows, I could be some donk who is trying to learn poker.