• 3 months later...
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most popular with women, and homosexuals, I meant to say. Sorry about that, essay.

Pretty dissapointed, should have been at least 20 min shorter. That whole meeting at TTHH was stupid. Every one falling was used over and over agian. Sigh.

Yes, and all the LOTR movies should have clocked in at 2 hours.

I think, in general, we get movies that are too long when the director commands too much power relative to the editor. I imagine it's very difficult for a person to cut a scene he personally invested time and effort in. It never really bothered me in LOTR, because I'm a fanboy.

For reference:

Fellowship of the Ring: 178 minutes

Two Towers: 179 minutes

Return of the King: 201 minutes

The Hobbit: 169 minutes

There's no doubt that people who have not read the books will probably find The Hobbit a more satisfying movie. It's much shorter, easier to follow and doesn't have the massive spread out epic battles that could be considered confusing to some.

Epic battles aren't confusing on screen. Many similar-looking characters are.

Well, it was a brutally boring, anticlimactic drawing out of the story for no reason. The story ends when the ring gets tossed into the volcano. Everything else is just self indulgent filler. If you want to have a battle of the shire, write a new book.

If it were a separate physical volume, would that make it better? We could obviously just stop reading in the middle of a book if we feel satisfied.

I thought the end of Return of the King suffered more from rhythm problems in the movie than in the book.

I know he hobbit was geared toward a more juvenile audience, but there's nothing complex or confusing about the LOTR. It's just really, really boring for long stretches.

The books dragged for me most painfully in the middle of The Two Towers.

If it were a separate physical volume, would that make it better? We could obviously just stop reading in the middle of a book if we feel satisfied.

it's not the burden of the reader to know when a story is over to storo eading, that burden is on the author. Knowing how to end a story is part of the skill of story telling . I can't possibly know, in reading a book for the first time, that the next 150 pages aren't worth reading until I read them. Tolkien suffered from what many fantasy authors suffer from, dire need of editing. But to give Tolkien credit, 150 extra pages is better than the 100's of extra in Martin's work, or 1000's in jordan's

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The theatrical blu-ray & dvd come out today. Anyone buying now or waiting for an extended edition? That's planned to come out in Q4 before Xmas. The LOTR EE was well worth it but I don't think any additional scenes would really help The Hobbit, I think it would just slow it down too much.

I thought new releases came out on Tuesdays?

Oh well, just gives me something to do this weekend. Didn't see it in the theaters, but figure it's probably good enough to spend 20 bucks on.

• 2 months later...

I watched it a couple weeks ago and feel asleep. There are definitely some boring drawn out scenes in the LOTR Trilogy, but they were able to maintain my interest.

I was really tired though when I first watched The Hobbit, so I'll definitely give it another go.

Man that looks awesome, can't wait. I'm surprised they showed the dragon's full head (Albeit, it was dark). I thought they would have kept that a pure secret for the release, kind of like what they did with Gollum in LOTR and only showing the dragon's eye previously.

I'm sort of confused though why Legolas is in this considering he's not even mentioned in the book. Regardless more elves will help the movie anyway. The barrel escape scene was pretty sweet and I'm guessing Bilbo was wearing the ring when Smaug was looking for him.

Man that looks awesome, can't wait. I'm surprised they showed the dragon's full head (Albeit, it was dark). I thought they would have kept that a pure secret for the release, kind of like what they did with Gollum in LOTR and only showing the dragon's eye previously.

I'm sort of confused though why Legolas is in this considering he's not even mentioned in the book. Regardless more elves will help the movie anyway. The barrel escape scene was pretty sweet and I'm guessing Bilbo was wearing the ring when Smaug was looking for him.

This is why. Galadriel and Legolas were not in the book, yet Peter Jackson wanted the actors who played them involved, so he wrote them in. I'm not overly upset about it, but it's unnecessary and changes the story a bit more than I would like.

I'm sort of confused though why Legolas is in this considering he's not even mentioned in the book.

1) The hobbit is 320 pages, and a great deal of it nothing exciting is happening. How the hell are you going to make 3 movies without putting in a bunch of stuff that was not in the book.

2) Legolas was of the wood elves, who are most certainly in the book . I believe Legolas's father is the king of the wood elves, if I remember right, and he's certainly in the book, so it's not that much of a stretch

3) Legolas was just about the only male sex symbol in Lotr. I guess Strider was a bit, but Legolas by far was the most popular character with women. Since the hobbit has zero in the way of love story, they need to throw some bone to the ladies, if you want them to give a **** about the movies.