• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most popular with women, and homosexuals, I meant to say. Sorry about that, essay.

come on gov, the dark knight rises tralier was better. but i am excited for the new hobbit movies. i'll be seeing the shit out them is what i'm saying here.
Maybe it's because the Dark Knight was the best trailer I've ever seen; therefore setting my expectations way too high, but the DKR didn't get me as excited as the Hobbit did. Oh well, 2012 is going to be a fantastic year.
The hobbits were always my least favorite parts of the Lord of the Rings. I'll still see the shit out of it, but I'm much more excited for Batman.
my first impressions of the young bilbo were good. i liked the look of him.
Maybe it's because the Dark Knight was the best trailer I've ever seen; therefore setting my expectations way too high, but the DKR didn't get me as excited as the Hobbit did. Oh well, 2012 is going to be a fantastic year.
even if i were too agree that the dark knight trailer was better than the dark knight rises trailer (which i dont), they're both better than the hobbit trailer (to me (which is all that matters)).
even if i were too agree that the dark knight trailer was better than the dark knight rises trailer (which i dont), they're both better than the hobbit trailer (to me (which is all that matters)).
Fair enough. We will just have to have varying opinions on this matter, Mr. Pilgrim.
The hobbits were always my least favorite parts of the Lord of the Rings. I'll still see the shit out of it, but I'm much more excited for Batman.
Well, you'll be happy to know that there will be basically only one hobbit in both these movies, so there should be zero homoerotic hobbit tension between the characters. There might be some hot dwarf on dwarf action though, I can make no promises about that.

The amount of loops and bounds it took The Hobbit to get to this stage coupled with the excitement of seeing something new in middle earth that we haven't seen since 2003 far and away trumps Dark Knight Rises. Not to mention I read The Hobbit twice as a kid and can't wait to see Smaug come to life on the big screen. Thorin looks promising.

it's no country for old men all over in here again. GOV JUST DOESNT GET IT.
I think it's probably a matter of taste in this case. Gov was wrong about NCFOM, but he's knows he was wrong about it.My wife is illogically excited about The Hobbit and almost peed her pants watching the trailer. I, on the other hand, give Dark Knight Rises a 10 on my excitement scale and The Hobbit about a 6.5.

imo, the LOTR trilogy is far, far better than TDK. Plus, I love The Hobbit, and I have never really enjoyed a non-Nolan Batman movie. So I definitely have a stronger affinity to the LOTR series.It's not even close for me. The Hobbit would be a 10 on the excitement scale. TDKR would be maybe a 4.

I'm about to say something bold.. The hobbit is a way, way better book the LOTR are books. LOTR are self indulgent, rambling, boring messes. The last half of the last book is the walk home, for gods sakes. The story is over and the book goes on for another 100-150 pages. It's awful. The hobby is tight, conscience, dramatic. It is always moving the plot forward. I Predict that I'm going to like the hobbit movies more than the LOTR movies.

Well, you'll be happy to know that there will be basically only one hobbit in both these movies, so there should be zero homoerotic hobbit tension between the characters. There might be some hot dwarf on dwarf action though, I can make no promises about that.
I'm about to say something bold.. The hobbit is a way, way better book the LOTR are books. LOTR are self indulgent, rambling, boring messes. The last half of the last book is the walk home, for gods sakes. The story is over and the book goes on for another 100-150 pages. It's awful. The hobby is tight, conscience, dramatic. It is always moving the plot forward. I Predict that I'm going to like the hobbit movies more than the LOTR movies.
This makes me more excited about the movie. I'd still choose Batman over it if I could only see one movie, but I can't imagine a scenario where such a choice would be necessary.

I went to see the Sherlock Holmes movie last night and left the theater when the preview for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo came on. I hate watching trailers for movies I know I'm going to see. Trailers give way too much away. Like, I don't need to see Warhorse now because the only thing I didn't see in the trailer is the horse dying and having that Red Badge Of Courage moment. Trailers are ONE of the worst things about going to a theater to see a movie. So yeah, I'm not watching that trailer and I'm really excited to see the Hobbit. random: Winny The Pooh just arrived from Netflix and I didn't watch the trailer.

There's no doubt that people who have not read the books will probably find The Hobbit a more satisfying movie. It's much shorter, easier to follow and doesn't have the massive spread out epic battles that could be considered confusing to some. I wouldn't go as far as saying The Hobbit is "way way" better book than LOTR, it's just a totally different read. It's a straight up fantasy adventure and much more linear than LOTR (Hope you like dwarves). My biggest concern though is that they are spreading out a much shorter story in to 2 long movies.

The end of LOTR especially the scouring of the shire are some of my favorite parts of the books.The Hobbit was also written for a more juvenile audience.
The end of LOTR especially the scouring of the shire are some of my favorite parts of the books.The Hobbit was also written for a more juvenile audience.
Well, it was a brutally boring, anticlimactic drawing out of the story for no reason. The story ends when the ring gets tossed into the volcano. Everything else is just self indulgent filler. If you want to have a battle of the shire, write a new book. I know he hobbit was geared toward a more juvenile audience, but there's nothing complex or confusing about the LOTR. It's just really, really boring for long stretches.
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...