Hsp 500k : Last Episode

I thought this episode was sub-par. It just felt to me like they just wanted to rush into hands and what not. I think the hand with DN and Degenyamine was classic, but I think DN's move wasn't +EV on ANY level. How often is David gonna be bluffing there, for one, and for two, how often is David going to fold his hand in that spot? David has ZERO fold equity when DN re-raises. I know DN thought he had KK and he was in the right range, but there is really no way David can fold there, especially when he has over 200k invested at that point.They keep hinting at a 1 million dollar buyin game for next season.I hope it happens.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't have a $200K pot every hand. Still, wish there were more mental games this episode. If they have a $1 million /player episode, I want to rail!!!!

i guarantee there wont be a $1,000,000 buy in next season they will be lucky if they get 500k again
You are wrong.
I thought this episode was sub-par. It just felt to me like they just wanted to rush into hands and what not. I think the hand with DN and Degenyamine was classic, but I think DN's move wasn't +EV on ANY level. How often is David gonna be bluffing there, for one, and for two, how often is David going to fold his hand in that spot? David has ZERO fold equity when DN re-raises. I know DN thought he had KK and he was in the right range, but there is really no way David can fold there, especially when he has over 200k invested at that point.They keep hinting at a 1 million dollar buyin game for next season.I hope it happens.
I disagree that it was a terrible play. Daniel has not bluffed big all season, and that bet looks exactly like a set. Don't be results oriented. David B is a world class player, and world class players have to be able to get away from AA when there are beat. The only thing Daniel may have done wrong is the talk. By openly stating that he though that DB had kings he may have talked him into shoving. His saying that DB has kings is something that someone with Queens would say. DB then asked him if he could beat JJ. That means he thought Daniel had queens. (or maybe hoped)
I disagree that it was a terrible play. Daniel has not bluffed big all season, and that bet looks exactly like a set. Don't be results oriented. David B is a world class player, and world class players have to be able to get away from AA when there are beat. The only thing Daniel may have done wrong is the talk. By openly stating that he though that DB had kings he may have talked him into shoving. His saying that DB has kings is something that someone with Queens would say. DB then asked him if he could beat JJ. That means he thought Daniel had queens. (or maybe hoped)
2 things to point out:1) It was VERY late in the session, and DB was up a small amount, hadn't opened many pots at all (he even said that this hand was his only big pair other than QQ the whole session).2) In order for DB to NOT be able to call a re-raise, he would have to be completely bluffing, not a semi-bluff etc. DN even said he knew DB was huge here, but thought he could get him off of his pair if he repped 10 10 or 8 8.Daniel obviously was steaming a little from the bad call he made against Patrik with AJ. That hand definitely was a factor in the attempted 100k raise on the turn with just a weak 10.If Daniel would have been up, or even not had lost that big one against Patrik 5 minutes earlier, he would have floated his 10 away with the 80k bet on the turn from Benyamine.
I did, but it was all around suck.
To be honest, I wasn't very impressed with the entire run of the $500k game. I've seen better play and sicker moves on the Heartland Tour. Sammy Farha + backers money = absolutely horrid poker. Jamie Gold + his own money = some of the worst poker in human history. He's just awful. If the producers want to get me interested, they need to stop allowing all this ridiculous pot chopping and dealmaking and just let the players play for big money. If the players want to cushion their losses or limit their variance they need to make those deals in the green room (and it's fairly obvious that a lot of that already happens, with the sheer amount of "I'll stay out of your way if you stay out of mine" that I saw going on between some of the Big Game regs). Guy giving Benyamine a 600k break when he had him dominated was about the worst thing I've ever seen on TV, and despite all the advertising with Antonius saying "there will be a $1 million pot", no one was actually shoved a $1 million pot because by the time the river was dealt (if the action even made it that far), the pot had already been carved up 3 or 4 times with all the "run it thrice" bullshit. Forget about how long it takes Phil Hellmuth to allow a turn or river card to actually be dealt, I swear those dealers must be dealing a max of 10 hands per hour. I spent most of the time watching HSP this season just being annoyed by how professionals behave at the table. I'd rather watch talented amateurs and internet kids all day long than ever sit and watch some of those people butcher the game of poker again.The only part of HSP that I really enjoyed this season was the 7-2 bluff and how much action it brought into the game. Those episodes were truly excellent studies of how far gamblers will go to rub their peers faces in a bluff (sometimes losing a couple hundred thousand in bluffs trying to win however much from each player, I forget now).
To be honest, I wasn't very impressed with the entire run of the $500k game. I've seen better play and sicker moves on the Heartland Tour. Sammy Farha + backers money = absolutely horrid poker. Jamie Gold + his own money = some of the worst poker in human history. He's just awful. If the producers want to get me interested, they need to stop allowing all this ridiculous pot chopping and dealmaking and just let the players play for big money. If the players want to cushion their losses or limit their variance they need to make those deals in the green room (and it's fairly obvious that a lot of that already happens, with the sheer amount of "I'll stay out of your way if you stay out of mine" that I saw going on between some of the Big Game regs). Guy giving Benyamine a 600k break when he had him dominated was about the worst thing I've ever seen on TV, and despite all the advertising with Antonius saying "there will be a $1 million pot", no one was actually shoved a $1 million pot because by the time the river was dealt (if the action even made it that far), the pot had already been carved up 3 or 4 times with all the "run it thrice" bullshit. Forget about how long it takes Phil Hellmuth to allow a turn or river card to actually be dealt, I swear those dealers must be dealing a max of 10 hands per hour. I spent most of the time watching HSP this season just being annoyed by how professionals behave at the table. I'd rather watch talented amateurs and internet kids all day long than ever sit and watch some of those people butcher the game of poker again.The only part of HSP that I really enjoyed this season was the 7-2 bluff and how much action it brought into the game. Those episodes were truly excellent studies of how far gamblers will go to rub their peers faces in a bluff (sometimes losing a couple hundred thousand in bluffs trying to win however much from each player, I forget now).
A couple things about your post.1. I'm pretty sure that Sammy is playing his own money, he doesn't have a backer.2. It's the player's money and if they weren't allowed to treat it like a real game I'm sure that many of them wouldn't play it. Running it twice or three times is what is done when they play with the cameras off so to ask them while they are using their own money to not be allowed to play as they normally would isn't reasonable. The players aren't compensated enough to be dictated to like you seem to want.

Bob is right of course but what I don't understand is why the producers feel the need to stay with these hands so long. Edit that shit. You know they already edit hands so why not edit out all the negotiation and 90% of what Sammy is going on about and just get on with the show.

A couple things about your post.1. I'm pretty sure that Sammy is playing his own money, he doesn't have a backer.2. It's the player's money and if they weren't allowed to treat it like a real game I'm sure that many of them wouldn't play it. Running it twice or three times is what is done when they play with the cameras off so to ask them while they are using their own money to not be allowed to play as they normally would isn't reasonable. The players aren't compensated enough to be dictated to like you seem to want.
1. Sammy has talked about his backers on past episodes (I think they were even in the room while he was playing on a couple occasions), but it's possible he's playing his own $$$ in the $500k game, I suppose. Just seems kind of impossible to me that he could swing being consistently stuck on HSP without making some changes to the style of his play. 2. I doubt very much that there wouldn't be a line out the door for a $500k game with those terms, but agree to disagree I guess. I get that we're seeing what happens in real-life live play, but I just don't think it makes for good televised poker. It's entirely possible I'm in the minority or all by myself on that, just my opinion.

Unless I missed something Antonio E. is a bigger nit than I am. And ask Gallo, I am a tight. 1 Hour of him saying I love this game and not playing a hand.

Unless I missed something Antonio E. is a bigger nit than I am. And ask Gallo, I am a tight. 1 Hour of him saying I love this game and not playing a hand.
I concur, Antonio was a HUGE nit. Surprisingly you opened up your game a bit last time around, but you still couldn't lay down top pair against me could you? lol
1) I thought the whole season sucked, with the exception of the 7-2 bluff game.2) Hellmuth pisses me off. HSP makes me hate him more.3) I lol'ed lastnight when Gold got the "Most Missed Value Bets" award from Gabe and AJ.4) I'm tired of spewtards like Farha. I certainly wouldn't mind getting in a game with him though - he just bleeds money preflop.5) Give me a table with 4 internet guys, Doyle Brunson, Phil Ivey, Antonius, and Daniel. IMO, it's the perfect mix for a poker table.
1. Sammy has talked about his backers on past episodes (I think they were even in the room while he was playing on a couple occasions), but it's possible he's playing his own $$$ in the $500k game, I suppose. Just seems kind of impossible to me that he could swing being consistently stuck on HSP without making some changes to the style of his play. 2. I doubt very much that there wouldn't be a line out the door for a $500k game with those terms, but agree to disagree I guess. I get that we're seeing what happens in real-life live play, but I just don't think it makes for good televised poker. It's entirely possible I'm in the minority or all by myself on that, just my opinion.
Sammy is a multi millionaire business man, I have seen his networth estimated from between 20 and 100 million. He is also a degenerate gambler and admits it.

Final episode was a bit of a let down compared to some of the earlier ones. Anyone else think if the producers were really smart that they would do a 500k plo episode next season. With the right mix of players it would be the best tv poker ever.

I haven't seen anybody on television play a worse session of poker than Jamie Gold did on HSP this season... since Celebrity Poker Showdown.I concurr with the masses, the 500k session was just subpar poker viewing all the way around. Only Guy and Sammy made it entertaining, it would have been a total disaster without them there.