Dear Ouch 8-s

Dearest Ouch (or whoever),Do the same computers come with different programs when sold from different stores? I ask because I bought the exact same computer as one of my friends, but he has Roxio and I don't. The only thing I can think of is either I accidentally deleted it when I first started cleaning up all the original crap on here, or that since he bought his from Sams club and I bought mine from Best Buy that they somehow came with different programs. Whats the deal here?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How do I change the programs that open up when starting the computer? Is there a list somewhere that I can just go delete a few of the annoying ones?
start - run - msconfig - startup.you can pretty much disable everything without BREAKING anything, but some things are needed for normal operation, like antivirus, keyboard drivers for extra buttons, etc. google is your friend. you can always turn it back on.
Dearest Ouch (or whoever),Do the same computers come with different programs when sold from different stores? I ask because I bought the exact same computer as one of my friends, but he has Roxio and I don't. The only thing I can think of is either I accidentally deleted it when I first started cleaning up all the original crap on here, or that since he bought his from Sams club and I bought mine from Best Buy that they somehow came with different programs. Whats the deal here?
seems possible that they would come with different programs, but i'm not sure. roxio has made good progress lately, but i still like nero best anyways.
falcon is a genius.
i am impressed. but would the video driver really still be in effect over VNC? i thought that VNC had it's own video driver?
i am impressed. but would the video driver really still be in effect over VNC? i thought that VNC had it's own video driver?
I don't really know how VNC works, honestly.re: roxiounless you're wanting to burn video DVDs, infra recorder (for windows) works fine for me. free software (open source, on windows) exists for almost every imaginable task these days. GIMP for photoshop. openoffice for MS office. etc.

well what I want the program for is the lightscribe feature. I have some Disk Labeler program but it really sucks. there just isn't much customization possible. anybody know any good lightscribe software thats free?

start - run - msconfig - startup.you can pretty much disable everything without BREAKING anything, but some things are needed for normal operation, like antivirus, keyboard drivers for extra buttons, etc. google is your friend. you can always turn it back on.
I've never told you this before, but I love you.
well what I want the program for is the lightscribe feature. I have some Disk Labeler program but it really sucks. there just isn't much customization possible. anybody know any good lightscribe software thats free?
i assume you have a lightscribe drive? try checking out the HP site and see if they have anything for your model. or did you laptop come with a disc of programs/utilities/drivers, etc? perhaps you were supposed to burn one before you did anything with the computer?
I've never told you this before, but I love you.
get in line. the good news is, it forms behind me.

Hey, I'm having problems burning CDs. In iTunes it goes to initializing burn disc then canceling burn disc and comes up with an error message. In Roxio it comes up with an error message too. My laptop's only like 7 months old. Any idea what to do?

i assume you have a lightscribe drive? try checking out the HP site and see if they have anything for your model. or did you laptop come with a disc of programs/utilities/drivers, etc? perhaps you were supposed to burn one before you did anything with the computer?
well after looking into it a little, I don't think I deleted anything. I think it just came with a crappy program for it. hell, it might not be all that crappy compared to other labeling software either, I don't know. it came with cyberlink dvd software, and the labeler thing is in with that. it works, but it just isn't all that customizable and its kinda clunky to use. I was just wondering if there was anything out there that was better and free. something like an open office or something like that for CD/Lightscribe labeling. I've actually done a few of them so far and they're really neat, but I'd like more options to let my creativity flow.
Hey, I'm having problems burning CDs. In iTunes it goes to initializing burn disc then canceling burn disc and comes up with an error message. In Roxio it comes up with an error message too. My laptop's only like 7 months old. Any idea what to do?
try googling the error message
well after looking into it a little, I don't think I deleted anything. I think it just came with a crappy program for it. hell, it might not be all that crappy compared to other labeling software either, I don't know. it came with cyberlink dvd software, and the labeler thing is in with that. it works, but it just isn't all that customizable and its kinda clunky to use. I was just wondering if there was anything out there that was better and free. something like an open office or something like that for CD/Lightscribe labeling. I've actually done a few of them so far and they're really neat, but I'd like more options to let my creativity flow.
no idea, i've got a lightscribe burner but i've never lightscrobe.
no idea, i've got a lightscribe burner but i've never lightscrobe.
oh man, you should try it. its the tits. so far I've made a radiohead cd and a shins cd, both look pretty cool.
oh man, you should try it. its the tits. so far I've made a radiohead cd and a shins cd, both look pretty cool.
yeah, now if only you had any taste in music.....
falcon is a genius.
Not really, I have a huge reading comprehension problem.
What do you suppose this haze is? I thought maybe it was a color-space conversion issue, so I dorked around with the color depth to no avail. This is the Nvidia binary driver, but I get the same thing with the generic one. Any other ideas?
Although my housemate is a genius, so try the other suggestion.

Regarding the green haze:Turning off sub-pixel smoothing helps a lot. All of the text now looks fine. So, thanks for that. The graphical elements still have the haze, though.Switching to a blue theme makes the window decorations look better. It's probably good enough to use now, but it still bothers me from a I-should-figure-out-how-to-fix-that perspective.

Dear oh learned one.I have another dilemna I am hoping you can guide me through. I installed a ? version of MS Office Pro 2000 on my boss' laptop and lately his Outlook has been shutting down on him a lot. We decided to just buy the full version of Outlook 2007, instead of the full version of Office as we've been having some problems with other people who have sent us Word documents.Anyways, when I install the new Outlook I want to be sure that all of his current and archived messages, along with contact file move into the new version.I am hoping that 07 will recognize the 00 version and ask if they should be brought into the new program, but I am not that big of an optimist.My questions is...Is there a way to be sure I can still retrieve his old e-mails (inbox and sent) as well as the archived (inbox and sent) and the contacts?And this one could be a dealbreaker for me. Even though I'm sure I pleased his wife with her increased speed, not performing to my supposed full potential on this job could get me into some boiling water.Thanks.

Dear oh learned one.I have another dilemna I am hoping you can guide me through. I installed a ? version of MS Office Pro 2000 on my boss' laptop and lately his Outlook has been shutting down on him a lot. We decided to just buy the full version of Outlook 2007, instead of the full version of Office as we've been having some problems with other people who have sent us Word documents.Anyways, when I install the new Outlook I want to be sure that all of his current and archived messages, along with contact file move into the new version.I am hoping that 07 will recognize the 00 version and ask if they should be brought into the new program, but I am not that big of an optimist.My questions is...Is there a way to be sure I can still retrieve his old e-mails (inbox and sent) as well as the archived (inbox and sent) and the contacts?And this one could be a dealbreaker for me. Even though I'm sure I pleased his wife with her increased speed, not performing to my supposed full potential on this job could get me into some boiling water.Thanks.
yes, it's definately possible. google export outlook 2000 and import outlook 2007, or migrate outlook 2000 to 2007 or something similar.
yes, it's definately possible. google export outlook 2000 and import outlook 2007, or migrate outlook 2000 to 2007 or something similar.
weak. this is the "ask ouch" thread not the "let ouch tell you to use google" thread COME ON!
weak. this is the "ask ouch" thread not the "let ouch tell you to use google" thread COME ON!
life becomes so much simpler when you know how to finesse the milk out of google's sensitive nips.
life becomes so much simpler when you know how to finesse the milk out of google's sensitive nips.
you can put a number of things in that sentence to replace 'google' and it remains true.i just don't feel like looking it up.
Shit... I might as well just PM DNA.
What's google?