Dear Ouch 8-s

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, it did it again. Twice. I'm now on my awful old laptop.I did realize that I was wrong...typically, the web browsing is the only thing that freezes. So if IE freezes, Firefox can't be opened, but other programs can be used.I'm not sure this computer still has AIM/MSN, I'll give it a shot.

• 1 month later...

Question for you computer savvy experts.Im having trouble opening some documents (word/excel) from my desktop. If I open them within word or excel I have no problems but when I try to use the shortcut from my desktop it gives me an error saying "the file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.." blah blah blahIt never used to do this but I was adding/deleting programs and I think I may have deleted something I shouldnt have.Any thoughts?Also, what the hell is Java??

Question for you computer savvy experts.Im having trouble opening some documents (word/excel) from my desktop. If I open them within word or excel I have no problems but when I try to use the shortcut from my desktop it gives me an error saying "the file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.." blah blah blahIt never used to do this but I was adding/deleting programs and I think I may have deleted something I shouldnt have.Any thoughts?Also, what the hell is Java??
Somewhere there is an area that allows you to apply automatic associations to an extension.For instance when you open a .cdr file, it associates this file to Coreldraw and tells the computer to open Coreldraw first, then load this file.You need to find this location, probably through help, and create associations for the file extensions that your files. For instance, .xls file applies to Excel, once you do this it will work.Or you can wait for Ouch to explain this in English ( well Canadian )

And Java is a program that must be upgraded every 3 hours because someone at Java must justify their paycheck.I don't know what it actually does, but it needs to be upgraded now guaranteed. Currently the latest version is 2.4.2.3.2.54.6.3.2.4.43.6.23.4.34656.3.7

heh, i'll try to not use too many Us for you. sorry, yo.different versions of windows do it slightly differently but you can right click the file and select Open With (and then in there say "always use this program to open this type of file") or you can go into My Computer > Tools > FOlder OPtions > file types and set them in there.

Somewhere there is an area that allows you to apply automatic associations to an extension.For instance when you open a .cdr file, it associates this file to Coreldraw and tells the computer to open Coreldraw first, then load this file.You need to find this location, probably through help, and create associations for the file extensions that your files. For instance, .xls file applies to Excel, once you do this it will work.Or you can wait for Ouch to explain this in English ( well Canadian )
Lol, yeah I didnt understand a word of that. I mean, I get it, but don't. Know what Im saying?
And Java is a program that must be upgraded every 3 hours because someone at Java must justify their paycheck.I don't know what it actually does, but it needs to be upgraded now guaranteed. Currently the latest version is 2.4.2.3.2.54.6.3.2.4.43.6.23.4.34656.3.7
suprisingly accurate.you can go to Control Panel and tell java to not check automatically for updates.
Lol, yeah I didnt understand a word of that. I mean, I get it, but don't. Know what Im saying?
Its computer, nobody really understands it, just say things like Byte and extension, throw in the notion that your resources are probably full, and you can be a troubleshooter for IBM.
suprisingly accurate.you can go to Control Panel and tell java to not check automatically for updates.
My laptop refuses to work correctly because of a windows upgrade, so I reset to the older version and just refuse to upgrade. I currently have like 52 upgrades suggested.I should probably tell it to stop looking, but it seems to be so happy feeling like it is doing something.Hate to not support its self esteem by telling it to stop.Pretty sure this will get me a pass when they become self-aware.Maybe they will give me Florida and a bunch of slaves....
heh, i'll try to not use too many Us for you. sorry, yo.different versions of windows do it slightly differently but you can right click the file and select Open With (and then in there say "always use this program to open this type of file") or you can go into My Computer > Tools > FOlder OPtions > file types and set them in there.
Ok, yeah. I tried that but it doesnt (or maybe Im just blind) give me an option for Word or Excel, only Works. And if you think I can find "My Computer" or "Tools" or any of that technical stuff you've obviously forgotten who youre dealing with.
My laptop refuses to work correctly because of a windows upgrade, so I reset to the older version and just refuse to upgrade. I currently have like 52 upgrades suggested.I should probably tell it to stop looking, but it seems to be so happy feeling like it is doing something.Hate to not support its self esteem by telling it to stop.
my doctor said i was going to die so i stopped going to the doctor, i feel super healthy now and don't see wh
my doctor said i was going to die so i stopped going to the doctor, i feel super healthy now and don't see wh
They asked George Burns what his doctor said about his smoking cigars at his age. He said, "I don't know, he died"Study at Harvard found that 10 out of 10 people die, so stay up late and enjoy ice cream every now and then.
Ok, yeah. I tried that but it doesnt (or maybe Im just blind) give me an option for Word or Excel, only Works. And if you think I can find "My Computer" or "Tools" or any of that technical stuff you've obviously forgotten who youre dealing with.
there should be an option to look for other programs to use. word is winword.exe, excel is excel.exe - both are found somewhere like "C:\programs files\microsoft office\office" or similar.
there should be an option to look for other programs to use. word is winword.exe, excel is excel.exe - both are found somewhere like "C:\programs files\microsoft office\office" or similar.
Neither of those exist.
are you sure you have word and excel installed?
Lol, how do you think I created the files in the first place?? But I was removing programs and I may have unintentionally removed something i shouldnt have. Yet.. Im still able to go into Word and Excel and created documents, I just cant open them from anywhere else other than within Word or Excel.
Right click on the word or excel icon and select properties. That will give you the location of the application and you can search it out in the "open with" tool.
shouldn't you be breast feeding?