Indiana Hoosiers Basketball

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

**** this season**** kelvin samspn**** evrythingdrinking my pain awayi love dj white, i hope bassett doesnt transfer, thanks for showing up gordon

Well, this season sucked. Even more so due to the high (and deservedly so) expectations that we had coming into the season. It's hard to really say how I feel about our loss to Arkansas, I'm disappointed, but certainly not mad. How can I be mad when the season ended a month ago? It's obvious that the blame should fall squarely on Kelvin Sampson. He's the one who sat in the office of one of the greatest coaches ever knowingly making phone calls that he was not allowed. Sure, the administration could have handled it better, but he shouldn't have ever done those things. Some might blame the players for seemingly giving up this season. How can I blame them though? These players are the same age as I am, I know I would have been affected had I been in their shoes. I certainly can't put any blame on Dakich, he's just not a very good coach, he didn't ask to be put in this situation.The two players who garnered the most praise throughout the season were DJ White and Eric Gordon. White was one of the top 5 big men in the country this year and earned the award for Big Ten POY. Gordon got most of the hype, because of his freshman status and tremendous play-making ability. Though their praise may be similar, their legacy at IU will be much different. White will go down as one of the most loved and talented big men in the storied history of IU basketball, Gordon will go down as on of the greatest disappointments. You may be thinking, how can you consider Gordon a disappointment? Well, here's a good blog that sums up the overall feeling of Hoosier nation about Gordon (note: that was before the NCAA tournament). Everything I would say is in there, so I won't bother repeating it. Now onto DJ. I love this man. He was a 5-star recruit coming out of high school recruited by Mike Davis. He had a very good freshman season and there were high hopes for IU during his sophomore season when him and Killingsworth were set to run wild on people. Unfortunately, breaking your foot twice will slow you down, and then the man that recruited him left. Unlike his good friend Robert Vaden, he didn't follow Mike Davis to UAB, and stayed faithful to IU. Once Sampson got here, DJ's game developed immensely. He was no longer the big guy that settled for jump-shots, he started attacking the basket and became a deadly force on both the offensive and defensive end. His loyalty to IU and killer work-ethic will forever be remembered by the IU faithful, and he will always be loved.The past is the past though, this season is over and I don't plan to look back. The immediate future is bleak for Indiana basketball having our two top recruits for next year already seeking releases fro their LOI and current players not commenting on their future with IU basketball. Some players have already restated their commitment for IU basketball, and if we have the right players return and the right coach we could still have a decent team. My biggest worry is Armon Bassett leaving, he really developed into a good point guard and defender, who is also a dead-eye shooter. I hope Crawford stays too, he has the potential to develop into a very good shooting guard. Ellis has already stated he will be back for sure, along with Thomas and Holman. If those two can develop over the summer we could have a good froncourt next season.Maybe the more pressing issue is who the next coach will be. I really like Tony Bennett from Washington St. and Sean Miller from Xavier. There have been rumors about Bruce Pearl and Thad Matta, who have both expressed interest in IU in years past. Whoever IU hires as coach, I hope he embraces the tradition of IU and has the vision to lead this once storied program into the future.

I don't really see the need for the hate on Gordon. He is a freshman, not everyone comes into college and dominates immediately. TO's are always the one thing you can look at with any freshman guard and your going to have trouble finding a freshman guard who put in the minutes he did and doesn't turn it over quite a bit.He has a great first step, a solid jumper and he is physical enough to get to the hole and finish. That stuff is going to make him a lottery pick and has him light years ahead of some of the horrible players he was compared to at the bottom of that article. Could he use another year to really get his game ready for the NBA? Sure, but so could a lot of other players. Not everyone is Tim Duncan.If you want to be upset with anyone (in addition to Sampson) I'd be upset with the IU administration for starting the committee to find a new coach while the post season was still in progress. Way to tell your team that you aren't supporting them fully right now.

I don't really see the need for the hate on Gordon. He is a freshman, not everyone comes into college and dominates immediately. TO's are always the one thing you can look at with any freshman guard and your going to have trouble finding a freshman guard who put in the minutes he did and doesn't turn it over quite a bit.He has a great first step, a solid jumper and he is physical enough to get to the hole and finish. That stuff is going to make him a lottery pick and has him light years ahead of some of the horrible players he was compared to at the bottom of that article. Could he use another year to really get his game ready for the NBA? Sure, but so could a lot of other players. Not everyone is Tim Duncan.If you want to be upset with anyone (in addition to Sampson) I'd be upset with the IU administration for starting the committee to find a new coach while the post season was still in progress. Way to tell your team that you aren't supporting them fully right now.
I didn't mean for that to come off as "hating on" Gordon, because he is a tremendous talent, and will be a lottery pick. It justs seems that every national media outlet praises him for everything. He has many faults in his game, but somehow every story written about him is about how great he is when over the past few games he has really struggled. Every time Indiana is on Sportscenter, it's about how well Gordon did, when DJ is dropping 20+ pts and 15+ boards game in and game out.Gordon's jumpshot has been non-existent for the last few games, and he never had a great mid-range game, actually it's barely mediocre. He has a very weak handle and is a turnover machine. With that said, he was a deadly first step, great athleticism, and great strength for somebody his age. I guess a lot of the disappointment stems from all the hype that surrounded him and he really didn't perform when it mattered most.Trust me, I'm very pissed at the administration right now, but they didn't destroy our season.
I didn't mean for that to come off as "hating on" Gordon, because he is a tremendous talent, and will be a lottery pick. It justs seems that every national media outlet praises him for everything. He has many faults in his game, but somehow every story written about him is about how great he is when over the past few games he has really struggled. Every time Indiana is on Sportscenter, it's about how well Gordon did, when DJ is dropping 20+ pts and 15+ boards game in and game out.Gordon's jumpshot has been non-existent for the last few games, and he never had a great mid-range game, actually it's barely mediocre. He has a very weak handle and is a turnover machine. With that said, he was a deadly first step, great athleticism, and great strength for somebody his age. I guess a lot of the disappointment stems from all the hype that surrounded him and he really didn't perform when it mattered most.Trust me, I'm very pissed at the administration right now, but they didn't destroy our season.
No, this man did:kelvin-sampson-3.jpg
No, this man did:kelvin-sampson-3.jpg
i dunno which pic is sexier king. i mean having kelvin's hands above his head and your sig's pic too... man tough decision. lol. but yea, dakich was mediocre in a mediocre college. kelvin ****ed up. gordon will be gone unless he somehow decides to stay. i wouldnt be shocked if armon stayed. pls hire tony or sean. deandre pls learn how to take the ball straight up and learn how not to foul. if you do that sir, you will be a beast at iu.

I'm vvvv happy with the new hire.Obviously disappointed with the loss of Bassett b/c I think he has huge upside...I wonder what that real story is. It will obviously be a couple years before we sniff the tourney again, but I absolutely LOVE this hire.

I'm vvvv happy with the new hire.Obviously disappointed with the loss of Bassett b/c I think he has huge upside...I wonder what that real story is. It will obviously be a couple years before we sniff the tourney again, but I absolutely LOVE this hire.
I think both Bassett and Ellis will be back on the team once Crean gets here, or at least that seems to be the common feeling around campus. Dakich was over the line with suspending them.I do like this hire though. He wasn't at the top of my list, but after missing out on Tony Bennett I'm happy with this. Also, one of our recruits for this year who asked out of his letter of intent was considering going to Marquette after Indiana, so we may still be able to get him.

I unno im just still not on the tom crean bandwagon. he can recruit but I don't really know if he's that good of a coach. he hasnyt gotten his team over the hump since d-wade has been to mq. just so much talked about how mr. james is so good but 1 tourney win since the 03 ncaa's. I wouldn't be too shocked either way of what armon and jamarcus do. new coach yes, same dickheaded a.d. tho. definitely would like to see each stay along with crawford. any idea where he's seeking a transfer too?

I unno im just still not on the tom crean bandwagon. he can recruit but I don't really know if he's that good of a coach. he hasnyt gotten his team over the hump since d-wade has been to mq. just so much talked about how mr. james is so good but 1 tourney win since the 03 ncaa's. I wouldn't be too shocked either way of what armon and jamarcus do. new coach yes, same dickheaded a.d. tho. definitely would like to see each stay along with crawford. any idea where he's seeking a transfer too?
No, I haven't heard anything about Crawford.Crean met with the whole team last night, so we will see how that turns out. He's also planning on talking to Devin Ebanks and Terrell Holloway, our two top recruits for next year that got released from their LOI's.Hopefully most of these players come back. I'm most concerned about Bassett because he's a stud, but if we don't get some of these players back we will be really really bad next year.
Here's audio of Crean's press conference:http://www.insidethehall.com/2008/04/02/au...ess-conference/
i'll prolly listen to this later. im starting to get more of a good vibe on this hire, just still feelin like meh about it being tom crean. at least he's gettin order restored but the way im taking things, if bassett and ellis really did miss the meeting, i think it was due to the fact they knew we were hiring a coach soon and have had enough of dan's shit. apparently he figured he could play god for the last days of his interim stint. i'll give md a bit of credit, he at least managed the team well after the whole bobby ordeal.

I think you guys got a good coach in Crean. I think once the probation is done and he gets some of the top in state talent the program will be one of the best in the conference easily.

• 6 months later...