The Peanut Gallery

Forgive me, but I have to mention TV's celebrity poker in this forum. It seems that maybe the fad of yelling from the stands started on the celebrity poker show and continues on the latest WPT. We all know this doesn't happen (or hopefully) at say Foxwoods or the Bell, but will it continue at the next WSoP?What is your take on it? Is it good in terms of bringing fans to the game, or how I feel it ruins the game?DN, wouldn't mind hearing your take on it either as it seems to have happened in the hand with Barry on the cruise, and I am sure elsewhere.

Hey, I'm watching the same thing... anyway... I think it might be another aspect of distraction to deal with. And could add some more dimension to the game. Look at how pro atheletes have to deal with fans heckling or screaming... homefield advantage type of thing... I don't neccisarily think it's bad for the game... could make things more interesting.

Ruin the game?Does it negatively impact your viewing of people with no idea how to play at all playing NL holdem and drinking??The show is more celebrity than poker, they should have freakin cheerleaders and blind escelation girls like they do between rounds in boxing.Also midgets. Midgets who set themselves on fire.

Hmm.... I think that the crowds could help players who are masters of the psycholigical aspect of the game. How so? Well if you have a guy who you beat in a pot and you have a cheering section, that might annoy him that people think you are that much better than him. Thus your cheering section might help to get under his skin even more. Or maybe he's embarassed that everyone is cheering for you instead of him.... maybe this urkes him and now he's on full blown tilt.... *shrug*Just a thought....

Does it negatively impact your viewing of people with no idea how to play at all playing NL holdem and drinking??
I was speaking of the game in general on the most basic of terms. The game that Brunson and Binion and all the other names that get thrown around played. I am by no means a relic of the game nor even more obviously a great player yet, but it seems that poker is more of a "gentleman's" game not one to hoop and hollar.We had a large topic of posts with Josh Arieh and his behavior along with other players behaviors on TV (and I assume off TV). Most agree it's disrespectful and though OK on the football field not OK at a poker table. Anyway, let's dismiss the celebrity poker as mere entertainment and heartache for the viewer. Let's concern ourselves with true pro's and how the shouts affect them.

Well, due to the exposure of poker right now you are going to find less and less gentlemanly gamesmanship overall. Granted those games exist, just likely not in public card rooms at non-professional limits.

Well, due to the exposure of poker right now you are going to find less and less gentlemanly gamesmanship overall.  Granted those games exist, just likely not in public card rooms at non-professional limits.
Agreed, I tend to run around at 10-20 games and you can do alright at those. Venturing much lower it becomes more and more of a gamble.

Yep. I think the 10/20 will be vulnerable within a year or two tho.... just so many people playing those games will become more accesible.Basically the best way to deal with it is to get used to it and get better yourself, that way you can be a few levels ahead of them in terms of limits, and when they do catch up you can out play them; plain and simple :D

Yep.  I think the 10/20 will be vulnerable within a year or two tho.... just so many people playing those games will become more accesible.
Maybe by that time I will have the experience and (even more hopeful) the skill to move up. Maybe I can outrun this charge.

It is ruining the game and distracting the REAL players. I don't think it matters on the celebrity tour but it DOES on the WSOP and WPT.When your thinking to yourself at a key moment, would you like a fan to distract you by being boisterous and disrespectful? I wouldn't.They need to do something about this to make it a minimum and punish those who do it.Miller