• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great article.Can someone make tons of money without a college degree? Yes. But it's extremely rare. For every very successful business owner with no degree there are thousands of people that could have gone to school, didn't, and now work very hard for little return. But that's not the point. The point is that undergrad is fucking awesome if you do it right. There's no substitute for it. I'd take my senior year over the life of a 21 year old poker star every single time. Plus you can have senior year and then be a poker pro, but you can't go pro and then get that senior year back. Yeah Guapo, more and more people are going to school when they're a little older, but it's not the same (I know that's not what you were saying, just making a point).

This is totally true."Youth is wasted on the young" , as they saying goes. By the time they realize it, it will be too late, as it was for the rest of us.
Am I the only person that recognized what I had going for me while I was in school? At the tail end of most of our ridiculous nights my friends and I would drunkenly/highly talk about the fact that we never wanted to leave, and then just stare off into space, everyone saying "college" once in a while.
Am I the only person that recognized what I had going for me while I was in school? At the tail end of most of our ridiculous nights my friends and I would drunkenly/highly talk about the fact that we never wanted to leave, and then just stare off into space, everyone saying "college" once in a while.
I think a lot of people do, but the actual significance doesn't really sink in until it's gone and real life starts to grinding ya down.
I don't agree with this at all. I work with mostly young people and probably 75% of them at least had student loans to get through college. I went to a small school and 90%+ of the students were 18-22 years of age and almost everyone had a part time job and did not have their living expenses paid for at all. I can't speak for grad school students because I didn't go, but a quick google search showed Chicago's numbers to be pretty accurate. Also, I graduated in 4 years and took 15 hours every semester, and had to take two summer classes for two classes I dropped, and worked 20-30 hours ever week. I may be in the minority there but I can't imagine it's THAT rare.
Maybe in Chicago but California is filled with "commuter" schools. And if I took 15 units a semester I would have still taken 5 years to graduate.

Now that I am mostly secure, I have given thought to going back to school, maybe take econommics, or spelling.But it would be for personal enrichment, not job hunting as I know how to make money. Find something no one wants to do and do it wellI was talking to nutz a few days ago and we both agree that had poker been around, we would have gone crazy chasing the pro label. Way good thing it didn't happen in my case, that's for sure.But the idea that school is a great thing because of the parties is a little bent thinking. But I'll never know since they kicked me out of school district in 9th grade and I went once a week for an hour for all of my high school. Say no to drugs kids.

If I knew I could make a bit of money from poker or get a steady job that I will enjoy for a while... I'd get the hell out of college so quick.You could get a job or play poker and still live next to a college campus with all the parties and shit. Its not like going to class makes you more social.

School = suckersBut it is the only way corp America can place a value on you as an unknown entity.Good luck, but school will hold you back from the real money.That's what the founder of Dell said in a commencment speech, not me.
most people making under 40K/year did not go to college. conversely, most multi-millionares did not go to college.
most people making under 40K/year did not go to college. conversely, most multi-millionares did not go to college.
I used to make under 40K/year
this thread makes me a sand panda as i am still unsure what to do with the rest of my life.
Get out of the sand and find some bamboo?Everyone I know under the age of 30 is unsure what to do with their lives...I think most of us grew up with the idea that if we went to college we would be handed a good job. Unfortunately, so did everyone else in our age group, and now college degrees are so prevalent that they're basically worthless. On the other hand, good luck getting a job working for someone else without one.
I only know one person who graduated in 4 years.
That is abnormal. The sample of people that you knew probably weren't all that bright unless they all fall under the category below that I'm going to discuss. Finishing in four years is pretty standard for most people. That being said, for some people it's better to take more time. Maybe it's a money issue, or they didn't like their major and switched. Those are valid reasons for taking longer.

I plan on riding daddy's coattails. He can roll me and I'll pretend I work hard but really just play poker all day. :DJK, stay in school so you don't end up a degenerate...or Ryland

QFThonestly, even if you make 20k a month playing online poker, take a few hours a week off to enroll into college just for the experience.
Sorry Royal but I have to disagree. If I could make 20k a month off of poker, I would not have stayed in school. College isn't for everyone.
That is abnormal. The sample of people that you knew probably weren't all that bright unless they all fall under the category below that I'm going to discuss. Finishing in four years is pretty standard for most people. That being said, for some people it's better to take more time. Maybe it's a money issue, or they didn't like their major and switched. Those are valid reasons for taking longer.
I'm going to take 4.5-5 because i can play hockey for my school for 5 years.
You could get a job or play poker and still live next to a college campus with all the parties and shit. Its not like going to class makes you more social.
It seems like this would be the case, but it just doesn't work like that. It's true that college really isn't for everyone though.
college degrees are worthless. good luck getting a job without one.
What?
On the other hand, good luck getting a job working for someone else without one.
As has already been mentioned here- "college degrees" are superb for mediocre people. Matter of fact, they're required kit. Since no one believes themselves to be mediocre even though they really are, we've all come to rationalize college as if it's a valid surrogate for actual achievement... but really, it doesn't mean much.I have wasted and am presently wasting my time in classes because the 'early-mid life' profession I want to go into requires college as a totally inflexible dictate, however, one thing I've learned during my journeys in real life is that if ones only goal is success and/or money, the presence or absence of "college" usually plays a nominal role, at best. More often, it plays no role in success whatsoever (assuming we're talking "actual success" and not some "Chief Operating Officer of Pencil Sharpening and Paper Shuffling" position making 60K a year at Anycorp USA)Of course, this excludes fields where college is an absolute prerequisite for getting in the door. Physicians, high level finance, attorneys, etc. People who have the personality types and skill sets to succeed will succeed with college or without it.People who have the personality types to "work for someone else" for the rest of their lives need college desperately in order to afford that second car and plasma screen TV.
No way, Degrees are now requiring between 132 and 150 units for graduation (unless you take communications which is the easiest most worthless degree, but thats another story) So the only way to get out of school in 4 years is to take 15 units plus summer school every year, or 18 units a semester. And that is just unrealisitc for most people.It took me 6 years, admittedly a full year was lost to droping classes and retaking accounting, but as I said, full load still would have taken 5 years.I have a finance degree from Sacramento State and I would say the average age of students in my classes during my final 2 years were 24-25, and about 20% of those students were in their late 20's to early 40's. Ofcourse I am basing everything on my knowledge of CA colleges. Many people here in ca are sent back to Grad school by their employers, and can be as old as in their 50's getting their MBA's.I am deciding right now whether or not to get my CFP in a masters program, and I am 31, and one of the youngest people in my company to try and aquire a CFP.
I didn't read the article that carefully, BUT:The absolute best time of my life was in college. Who cannot like being surrounded by tons of people your age, drinking, etc. Do you hate going to class???? Of course. Everyone does. Even good students.Seriously, you will never find yourself in a situation again where you can be young, have so much in front of you, and have so much fun.If you are good at poker, great! But, why quit school? Play poker, hang out with your friends, and enjoy your late teens and early twenties...you won't get another chance to do that.My point isn't based on an education (which is still valid). It's based on a once-in-a-lifetime chance to be surrounded by friends your age without any real pressure. I've completed college. I've completed grad school. I've played online poker since the boom.You will have a lifetime to play poker. You will have 15 years or so to go to grad school (without being one of the weirdos who's really old in grad school). You will only have ONE chance to be a college student the same age as your peers.
Yeah.
the presence or absence of "college" usually plays a nominal role, at best. More often, it plays no role in success whatsoever (assuming we're talking "actual success" and not some "Chief Operating Officer of Pencil Sharpening and Paper Shuffling" position making 60K a year at Anycorp USA)Of course, this excludes fields where college is an absolute prerequisite for getting in the door. Doctors, high level finance, etc.
I think you're underestimating the number of careers out there that pay well (for the general population 6 figures is considered a successful career) and have that college degree prerequisite. We're talking about basically every management position in every $20M and up company in the country. Some of you might take issue with the 6 figure thing, but I don't think we're talking about multi million per year type success here in order for someone to qualify as having made a good decision in terms of going to school or not. Correct me if I'm wrong.Anyways, I see your point, but the bolded part of your post is an overstatement. Maybe for every individual case it won't make or break a career, but in general someone with a degree has a much higher chance of being successful. You and Balloon guy are more the exception than the rule.
People who have the personality types and skill sets to succeed will succeed with college or without it.People who have the personality types to "work for someone else" for the rest of their lives need college desperately in order to afford that second car and plasma screen TV.
Well said.