Playing Presto Utg

Played a live NLHE MTT yesterday, 260 players, $650 buy-in, hosted by several well-known poker pros. I had been playing at a table with a well-known pro (villain) for several hours when the following hand occurred. The pro and I had both been playing TAG; in fact, I had won every hand I'd shown down (one set, kings twice, flush) and several others without a fight; he had also showed down some very strong hands. The rest of the table was mostly playing loose passive, with a lot of limping/unraised pots/multiway flops.Blinds are 200/400 with 25 ante (starting pot = 850). Hero has approx 15000 chips, Villain has approx 25k in chips.UTG Hero (5c5s), calls 4006 foldsButton Villain calls 400SB foldsBB checksPot 1650Flop: 4c 4s 7dBB checksHero bets 800Villain raises to 2500BB foldsHero ?

Am I the only one who hates limping UTG?Personally, if I'm UTG i'm going to be either raising or folding. It just seems that limping narrows down a players range to AXs sometimes KXs or a small-middle pp.That being said, I understand why you did it with the table being loose passive. I just think that a small pp is either a fold or raise UTG, I mean, even if we get a ton of people in the flop, almost anything is an over card, and we are going to have to lay it down to any action unless we are set mining.On to the hand itself: I think it's close to either a shove or fold. Since you've been playing tight, maybe he doesn't put you on a pp, but instead two clubs, AJ-A10, things of that nature, and that you are trying to steal it.On the other hand, he limped also, which doesn't really narrow his range down any further than yours is. I can't see us flat calling this. If a high card comes, and he bets, we are going to have to throw it away. I personally lean toward folding, since we still have an M of over 15, the rest of the table seems weak, and we can find a better place than this.

If you're limping... play for set value. Check/fold any flop w/ out a 5 on it.As played.. easy fold. You didn't raise preflop, and because of that, (although it may not have mattered) villain could have anything here. Let him take this, and don't value-bet a crappy two pair next time.

If you're limping... play for set value. Check/fold any flop w/ out a 5 on it.As played.. easy fold. You didn't raise preflop, and because of that, (although it may not have mattered) villain could have anything here. Let him take this, and don't value-bet a crappy two pair next time.
What you suggest (flop set or check/fold) was my plan preflop, but other than a set I felt the flop I got was one of the better ones possible for my hand. Quickly thinking about what the villain's possible holdings were, I felt I likely had the best hand as well as fold equity should I shove after he raised (he had definitely shown he could lay down a hand to a reraise).
What you suggest (flop set or check/fold) was my plan preflop, but other than a set I felt the flop I got was one of the better ones possible for my hand. Quickly thinking about what the villain's possible holdings were, I felt I likely had the best hand as well as fold equity should I shove after he raised (he had definitely shown he could lay down a hand to a reraise).
You're asking us if you should turn your hand into a bluff. My answer is no because the bluff makes no sense, even though it's a really bad question to ask in an online forum...And yes, if you limp here you're playing for set value.

i think 3-betting is fine here. you're repping a big overpair, and that flop is highly unlikely to have helped villain. you tid often enough to make it profitable.

i think 3-betting is fine here. you're repping a big overpair, and that flop is highly unlikely to have helped villain. you tid often enough to make it profitable.
I agree with mk that 3 betting here is profitable. I just don't like this situation. Why get involved in a confrontation with the best player at the table (or 2nd best if you think you are the best) in a marginal situation? Now he may be raising with air (its quite possible) but if you 3 bet you have to go all the way. I don't like it, especially when you say he hasn't been messing around. You can find a better spot than this situation.
Yeah, I think you either have to come back ott or fold. Calling is too dangerous, coz your oop. If another relative blank comes off are you happy calling another bullet? I probably fold here but that's coz I'm too much of a puzzy to reraise