Official Buffalo Sabres Thread

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't know why giving someone the benefit of the doubt would be so hard.   Like, at any point in life. Maybe I'm a push over, but I'm more than happy to give most people the benefit of the doubt in

Ted Nolan's dream job? Coaching the Sabres without a GM.

Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 1m Mikhail Grigorenko has informed the #Sabres that he will be reporting to the Quebec Remparts.

RUMOUR:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-trade-rumours-oilers-sabres-talking-monster-trade-ryan-miller-tomas-vanek-nail-yakupov/

Edmonton and Buffalo talking Monster trade that would send Ryan Miller and Tomas Vanek to Edmonton for Yakupov and a package.

Not sure if there is any truth to it, if I am the Sabres I am making that deal right now..Do not pass go, do not collect $200...

Unless Edmonton gets some sort of guarantee that Miller and Vanek will sign with them, I dont see this happening.

It is interesting though..Ill add to the trade:

Miller, Vanek and Tyler Myers for Yakupov, Dubnyk and a Second ...

I think if the Oilers can get assurance Miller and/or Vanek can sign a contract, its a trade that makes sense for both teams.. Lots of players with super talent, needing a change of scenery..

I know its just a rumour but its fun to speculate, as we dont see a lot of these big hockey trades happening.

Since 2010-2011 season:

Dubnyk: .915

Miller: .916

if you take out Devan's awful start to this year, it's dead even.

And Devan has played for much worse teams than Miller.

Obviously I have no clue and speculating, but with the contract situation and the way both teams are playing a swap could work for both teams.

The recipe is ripe for a classic panic move.

1. New inexperienced GM

2. Wanted to make a splash in the offseason, said he would make a splash in the offseason, couldnt get it done.

3. Awful start by a team thats been hyped for years.

4. Vocal and now impatient fanbase.

5. Awful start by a goalie who people are still unsure is a #1.

6. Big name UFA goalie out there, with a big name fwd who Edm wanted before.

It would be a terrible deal to make for Edm., and I cant see any GM making the deal, but I could see how the right conditions are there.

They would be insane to deal Yakupov for such a return (Im talking just Miller+Vanek as the rumour is), but maybe they have seen something really bad in Yak's game.

And Devan has played for much worse teams than Miller.

Obviously I have no clue and speculating, but with the contract situation and the way both teams are playing a swap could work for both teams.

Oh, I wouldn't be surprised if Mactavish did something. I'm just pointing out that Miller isn't going to be the saviour for the Oilers.

The recipe is ripe for a classic panic move.

1. New inexperienced GM

2. Wanted to make a splash in the offseason, said he would make a splash in the offseason, couldnt get it done.

3. Awful start by a team thats been hyped for years.

4. Vocal and now impatient fanbase.

5. Awful start by a goalie who people are still unsure is a #1.

6. Big name UFA goalie out there, with a big name fwd who Edm wanted before.

It would be a terrible deal to make for Edm., and I cant see any GM making the deal, but I could see how the right conditions are there.

They would be insane to deal Yakupov for such a return (Im talking just Miller+Vanek as the rumour is), but maybe they have seen something really bad in Yak's game.

it would be an awful, awful deal for the oilers. Mactavish wants to make his "bold move", and he will end up setting the organization back.

Great points Arp...

If I was Edmonton and I am trading such a big asset, I would do it for a stud dman..Sure Dubynk and Labarbera havent started well, but their defense isnt very good IMO...

Could Tyler Myers be fixed?

Should they be going after Dion Phaneuf , who is from Edmonton?

Again Ill add they have done a great job of accumulating a fantasy team with RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Gagner......

Darnell Nurse is supposed to be good though.

Oh, I wouldn't be surprised if Mactavish did something. I'm just pointing out that Miller isn't going to be the saviour for the Oilers.

Very true..They need to do something though..They need to make a decision.

They realize that Devan is a very good goalie , that is just struggling...Sign him to an extension TODAY, and give him the net...

Or they make a trade.

I doubt Labarbera is even in the equation.

Why does Edmonton have to do something?

I don't think they have to do something because of 7/8 games, but I think they need to figure out if this is the direction they want to keep going with.

They need to decide if they are just gonna let the fwds grow without veteran support, if they need a top D a la Weber, or if Dubnyk really is their guy.

If I were them, I would find the forward that has the best combo of value/they can do without, and trade him for a D, but an established, true #1 D.

Though sometimes I wonder if their bad defensive game has more to do with their forwards than their D-men.

Yak is on record all over the place as being quoted saying he doesn't like to play defense and acknowledges himself as a puck hog. That's a pretty considerable leak...kind of a modern day Pavel Bure except I don't think Yak has half the skill and ability that Bure had.

I'm torn, to be honest. I know Miller and Vanek are long gone after this season, so getting a player who is a blue chip prospect with 60 point downside and 90 point upside to replace Vanek's production is very attractive. All the same, I'd want Edmonton to add to the package just on the fairly significant chance that he's the modern day Alex Daigle. Thinking Yak, Dubeybro and a 2nd would be a very nice and probably pretty equal return, but if I know Darcy he'll want more than that and if a deal ends up happening he'll probably get his way. There's a reason we call him Darth Regier.

. Thinking Yak, Dubeybro and a 2nd would be a very nice and probably pretty equal return, but if I know Darcy he'll want more than that and if a deal ends up happening he'll probably get his way. There's a reason we call him Darth Regier.

You think:

Yakupov+Dubnyk+2nd=Miller+Vanek

Is that right? And, Darcy wont do it?

You think:

Yakupov+Dubnyk+2nd=Miller+Vanek

Is that right? And, Darcy wont do it?

I don't have the lofty opinion of Yak that others seem to have, I guess. I don't believe he's a franchise forward in the same conversation with Hall, Stamkos, Tavares, Kane, or really any of the guys taken #1 overall in the last few years.

You realize we're talking about a top five goalie in the NHL and a 60-70+ point forward, right? Even as rentals, if they get Edmonton over the hump and into the playoffs then they're worth acquiring, especially if you don't think Yakupov will live up to expectation and you're selling him at max value. Plus they're buying them now rather than at the deadline, giving the team the whole season to fully turn it around.

Hell, Filip Forsberg was billed as a top tier forward prospect and in my opinion will probably carry a similar ultimate value Yakupov does 5-6 years down the line, and all he brought Washington was Martin Erat who is now skating their 4th line for 8 minutes a night.

Now if I can just find a way to get Tyler Myers included in this deal...

I don't have the lofty opinion of Yak that others seem to have, I guess. I don't believe he's a franchise forward in the same conversation with Hall, Stamkos, Tavares, Kane, or really any of the guys taken #1 overall in the last few years.

You realize we're talking about a top five goalie in the NHL and a 60-70+ point forward, right? Even as rentals, if they get Edmonton over the hump and into the playoffs then they're worth acquiring, especially if you don't think Yakupov will live up to expectation and you're selling him at max value. Plus they're buying them now rather than at the deadline, giving the team the whole season to fully turn it around.

Hell, Filip Forsberg was billed as a top tier forward prospect and in my opinion will probably carry a similar ultimate value Yakupov does 5-6 years down the line, and all he brought Washington was Martin Erat who is now skating their 4th line for 8 minutes a night.

I included him in the deal..

Myers needs a change.

I included him in the deal..

Myers needs a change.

Ah, so you did. Everyone needs a change...Myers needs to be out of Buffalo.

Thinking this gets it done:

Vanek, Miller and Myers

for

Yakupov, Klefbom, Dubnyk and a 1st.

That's an overpayment by Edmonton, but they need the immediate help and Vanek and Miller are immediate help without requiring the Oilers to sacrifice very much...just a forward they are scratching to the press box, a defenseman they have no room for and won't next year either, the goalie they're seeking to replace (sorry Dubey), and a high pick which is standard in a huge trade like this.

To be honest, I like the package we got for Pominville way better than that one, but Yakupov is intriguing and might be able to turn it around, who knows.

Shedding Myers and his huge contract is addition by subtraction, he just needs to go. I've been saying it for two years and the rest of the hockey world finally caught up.

Yak is on record all over the place as being quoted saying he doesn't like to play defense and acknowledges himself as a puck hog. That's a pretty considerable leak...kind of a modern day Pavel Bure except I don't think Yak has half the skill and ability that Bure had.

TSN1200 had the head scout for Team Russia (Socchi) on yesterday? He was pretty damming of Yakupov as well -- basically said he needs to shut up and listen to the coach. IMHO the player has "going back to float in the KHL written all over him" (give it a season or two)

We disagree not only on the worth of Yakupov, but also on the worth of Miller+Vanek. I dont think Yakupov has shown anything like other #1 overalls you mentioned, but that doesnt suddenly make him worth a couple of UFA's, especially to a team like Edmonton.

I am aware yes that Vanek gets 60-70pts a year. I play fantasy hockey too.

He's a UFA in a matter of months, does Edmonton look like a team that should be selling off their future for a playoff run for a Cup this year?

Not only are they UFA's, but I dont think Miller has been a top 5 gtd in the NHL in a really long long time, by almost anyone's measure. So no, I do not realize that Miller is a top 5 gtd.

I wont get into Forsberg-Erat, because I think you neglected lots of issues with that deal, and it really has no bearing on why we should think this deal is a good one or not for Edmonton.

TSN1200 had the head scout for Team Russia (Socchi) on yesterday? He was pretty damming of Yakupov as well -- basically said he needs to shut up and listen to the coach. The player has "going back to float in the KHL written all over him" (give it a season or two)

A Russian said that about a Russian?

TSN1200 had the head scout for Team Russia (Socchi) on yesterday? He was pretty damming of Yakupov as well -- basically said he needs to shut up and listen to the coach. The player has "going back to float in the KHL written all over him" (give it a season or two)

This is what I'm saying, and it absolutely murders Yak's implied value in the long term. Especially when it's coming from multiple sources.

Arp, I'm not saying that I think Edmonton should take a deal like I'm proposing...if I was in their shoes I probably wouldn't unless I was utterly convinced that Yak is going to bust. I'm saying that Darcy Regier wins trades and wins them handily and obviously, otherwise he doesn't make them. If Miller/Vanek are going to Edmonton, it's going to be a robbery.

To be honest, I can't even recall the last time a potential superstar blue chip prospect was dealt so soon after he was drafted, otherwise I'd start looking at the return he brought. I can basically guarantee that it isn't as much as people would have projected before it happened.

Arp, I'm not saying that I think Edmonton should take a deal like I'm proposing...if I was in their shoes I probably wouldn't unless I was utterly convinced that Yak is going to bust. I'm saying that Darcy Regier wins trades and wins them handily and obviously, otherwise he doesn't make them. If Miller/Vanek are going to Edmonton, it's going to be a robbery.

Oh ok. Then we are discussing different things it sounds like.

Your talking about what you think WILL happen (Darcy rapes MacT) and Im talking about what I think SHOULD happen (Oilers dont sell off Yak for rentals).

I actually think Miller+Vanek are good pickups for Edmonton, but only if they are willing to resign. The thing that seems to fit best to me is Miller to NYI, but I guess I keep reading Miller wants to go West.

To be honest, I can't even recall the last time a potential superstar blue chip prospect was dealt so soon after he was drafted, otherwise I'd start looking at the return he brought. I can basically guarantee that it isn't as much as people would have projected before it happened.

Phil Kessel?