Official Buffalo Sabres Thread

And it appears that he's going to be a healthy scratch tonight.
It's seriously about time...he's been completely awful all season and no matter which other D-man they put him out there with he manages to drag them down. You guys should have heard me yelling at the TV on Saturday...my buddy was over and said "geez...I never realized just how much you hate Tyler Myers until now"...lol. I actually don't hate the kid, but I do hate his golden-calf status among the faithful...to me he's almost shockingly overrated in the NHL.
  • Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't know why giving someone the benefit of the doubt would be so hard.   Like, at any point in life. Maybe I'm a push over, but I'm more than happy to give most people the benefit of the doubt in

Ted Nolan's dream job? Coaching the Sabres without a GM.

Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 1m Mikhail Grigorenko has informed the #Sabres that he will be reporting to the Quebec Remparts.

Standard disclaimer: I don't really understand all the rules of hockey.If a similar play like that was made except that it was a defenseman and not a goalie, is it a legal/clean hit? How far out can a goalie go before he is fair game?

Standard disclaimer: I don't really understand all the rules of hockey.If a similar play like that was made except that it was a defenseman and not a goalie, is it a legal/clean hit? How far out can a goalie go before he is fair game?
A goalie is never strictly speaking "fair game", both officially and unofficially, and Lucic hit him up high, targeting the head which is even more non-kosher. I don't know the exact rule but I know there's one on the books explicitly stating that goalies aren't fair game even when they're out of the crease.
A goalie is never strictly speaking "fair game", both officially and unofficially, and Lucic hit him up high, targeting the head which is even more non-kosher. I don't know the exact rule but I know there's one on the books explicitly stating that goalies aren't fair game even when they're out of the crease.
They should do like what I used to do in NHL '94. Just have the goalie skate up ice and start a modified power play. Of course, that usually ended with a long goal immediately being given up, but it was still fun.
Yes, it is clean. I mean, Lucic did go a little high, but not really at the head. If it is a D-man, there's no way it is more than 2 minutes, and they probably have to fudge something to give him that. Goalies are never fair game.

I just don't get it. Shanahan really thinks Lucic didn't look up and have time to get out of the way? It seems absolutely impossible a former hockey player could actually think an NHL'er would go 15 strides with his head down in open ice.

I'm pretty amazed we were able to come back in that game after how bad the team looked through 40 minutes. Enroth was the man all game, just played fantastic. The shootout was incredible...Thomas Vanek scored on a wristshot that looked absolutely effortless, you'd have to watch the replay to understand just what I mean...effortless. Brad Boyes with a pretty, pretty deke on Price and just like that, Buffalo is in 2nd place alone in the East, one point out of first with a game in hand over Pittsburgh. Fantastic effort in the 3rd...first time all year that Buffalo has won when trailing going into the 3rd...first time all year Montreal has lost when leading going into the 3rd.

I didn't get to see the game. What did you think of the line change to put Roy up with Vanek and Pominville? I really don't think I want Roy with Vanek but it seemed to spark the line and it worked so who am I to argue.

I didn't get to see the game. What did you think of the line change to put Roy up with Vanek and Pominville? I really don't think I want Roy with Vanek but it seemed to spark the line and it worked so who am I to argue.
I thought it was a Lindy masterstroke to be honest, between that move and shortening the bench in the third period it really made all the difference. Buffalo wasn't in the game at all until Lindy made tweaks in the second intermission. It was the difference between 2 points and no points.
Listening to the Hockeycentral guys from Monday, they're saying that if the Sabres claim a concussion, they need to document it to the league.
Yeah, thats true. Thats why Wilson screwed himself with Reimer, because he didn't follow the concussion protocol and now painted himself into a corner where they CAN'T say it's a concussion..
I'm pretty amazed we were able to come back in that game after how bad the team looked through 40 minutes. Enroth was the man all game, just played fantastic. The shootout was incredible...Thomas Vanek scored on a wristshot that looked absolutely effortless, you'd have to watch the replay to understand just what I mean...effortless. Brad Boyes with a pretty, pretty deke on Price and just like that, Buffalo is in 2nd place alone in the East, one point out of first with a game in hand over Pittsburgh. Fantastic effort in the 3rd...first time all year that Buffalo has won when trailing going into the 3rd...first time all year Montreal has lost when leading going into the 3rd.
Dont get too comfortable in 2nd place in the East..We will pass you tonight.
Dont get too comfortable in 2nd place in the East..We will pass you tonight.
Yeah, probably. I still can't believe Buffalo doesn't play Toronto for the first time until mid December.We'll already have played Boston, Montreal and Ottawa at least twice by then.
  • 2 weeks later...
How was the Gaustad/Lucic fight?Must be nice when you know a team is going to come looking for a fight, and you have a 6'8 monster on your side, so no one else actually has to fight.
Gaustad was wearing glass mittens and was afraid to break them.Lucic threw about 5 punches that the NESN announcers seemed to think were Mike Tyson-like.Gaustand went down but I'm not sure if he fell or if Lucic's stench knocked him over.In summary, pretty crappy fight and Milan Lucic is still one of the biggest pieces of shit in the league.http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?c...5&id=137270

Thanks Dale. Watching that fight..well if I'm the Sabres, that's why I run Thomas. Lucic may be a piece of crap, but there's not many guys in the league who'll beat him in a fight. Fighting him proves nothing. If you think the hit was that dirty, then run Thomas, run Seguin and run guys like he ran Miller...that can't fight back.

Another example of why I shake my head at some of hockeys traditions. Way to stand up for your goalie by staging a fight, two weeks later.
Yeah, I agree. If you weren't going to man up and deal with it when it happened, it's utterly pointless to do so later on.Lucic has amazing reach...bastard looks almost impossible to hit.
This is why:http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2011/11/24/w...cic-last-night/If you guys aren't regularly reading this blog yet, you should be.
This doesnt convince me. If you and I get into a fight in a bar (how likely is this?), I dont really care if 2 weeks later, at another bar, you beat up the same guy. Im not looking for violence or retribution, Im looking to see if you can try to back me up there+then so i dont get my ass kicked. Im not so sure thats enough to convince to go bar hopping with you again. What I learned from all this is that if any team has the balls to hit Miller again, you can count on Gaustad to be ready to get his ass kicked 2 weeks later, after everyone shames him into to. That today, people feel like Buffalo stood up for themselves by engaging in 1 stupid staged fight. You want to stand up for yourself? As a team, hit every Bruin in sight. Play right on the edge, and hit hit hit all night. 1 staged fight to me reeks of superficial crap.Im ranting, but my biggest point is that this is no deterrent in any way to anyone for future shots to Miller. Boston, or otherwise. And I dont blame Gaustad really, poor guy ahving to fight. Maybe the rest of the team should have been tougher+better last night, and won the damn game. Hows that for retribution?
This is why:http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2011/11/24/w...cic-last-night/If you guys aren't regularly reading this blog yet, you should be.
Like I said above, I'm with MLP on this. The blog says absolutely nothing. Just neanderthal "you have to fight, he hurt your friend." I get that he had to fight if that is the prevailing mentality. But it'd mean more to me if he stuck his ass in Thomas's face first, then fought whoever challenged him. Just standing there and fighting Lucic on his own terms is giving someone like Lucic who doesn't mind fighting free reign to run whoever he wants.The current mentality means that someone like Lucic can hit whoever. And since if a non-fighter hurts someone, the fighter still ends up fighting for him, everyone can still hit at will and no one is defending anyone. I think it is a broken system and anyone who thinks Gaustad fighting Lucic here means anything is kidding themselves.