Official Buffalo Sabres Thread

My guess is this is something they'll look at closing in CBA negotiations over the course of the next season (current CBA expires at the end of the year). They'll just look for better wording so these don't really happen to this extreme, I'd bet. However, this isn't the first one of these or anything, it really shouldn't be shocking. There's probably been 2 dozen of these signed in the last little while.Like, here's the thing, right. Sign a guy who is 31 to a 10 year deal. Right now he's a solid first line forward, good for 35 goals, 70 points. He's probably worth $6M on the open market on a one-year deal, hypothetically. So you sign him for a deal of like this:Age - Salary31 - $832 - $833 - $734 - $735 - $536 - $537- $338 - $139 - $140 - $1That's $45 over the course of 10 seasons, but all of those salaries line up to what he'll probably be worth over the course of his contract. Big money during his prime and declining salary as his skills diminish. Because of the uncertainty of the cap and of inflation, I'm not adjusting for that, and I think it'd be crazy for GMs or players to do it as well.$4.5 million is a decent average cap hit and it reflects what will likely be his average value to the team over the course of his contract.The only real way to fix this, is to just go to salary = cap hit, but then you'd get some other wonky contracts like $2M in the first year, then $10M the next year when they have more room or something, or vice versa. There's always going to be some sort of exploitation, there's too much at stake for the teams and players not to.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't know why giving someone the benefit of the doubt would be so hard.   Like, at any point in life. Maybe I'm a push over, but I'm more than happy to give most people the benefit of the doubt in

Ted Nolan's dream job? Coaching the Sabres without a GM.

Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 1m Mikhail Grigorenko has informed the #Sabres that he will be reporting to the Quebec Remparts.

Such cool news that every season ticket in the house will be $10 per game.https://www.formstack.com/forms/?1091474-Gl85l0YwYo
Booo, I thought this was for the Sabres...What if they sign Brad Richards? One of the Sabres fans want to mock up the lineup with Ehrhoff and Richards? I might have to take back what I said earlier about them not being cup contenders.
My guess is this is something they'll look at closing in CBA negotiations over the course of the next season (current CBA expires at the end of the year). They'll just look for better wording so these don't really happen to this extreme, I'd bet. However, this isn't the first one of these or anything, it really shouldn't be shocking. There's probably been 2 dozen of these signed in the last little while.Like, here's the thing, right. Sign a guy who is 31 to a 10 year deal. Right now he's a solid first line forward, good for 35 goals, 70 points. He's probably worth $6M on the open market on a one-year deal, hypothetically. So you sign him for a deal of like this:Age - Salary31 - $832 - $833 - $734 - $735 - $536 - $537- $338 - $139 - $140 - $1That's $45 over the course of 10 seasons, but all of those salaries line up to what he'll probably be worth over the course of his contract. Big money during his prime and declining salary as his skills diminish. Because of the uncertainty of the cap and of inflation, I'm not adjusting for that, and I think it'd be crazy for GMs or players to do it as well.$4.5 million is a decent average cap hit and it reflects what will likely be his average value to the team over the course of his contract.The only real way to fix this, is to just go to salary = cap hit, but then you'd get some other wonky contracts like $2M in the first year, then $10M the next year when they have more room or something, or vice versa. There's always going to be some sort of exploitation, there's too much at stake for the teams and players not to.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. The only real solution is to have salary=cap hit ALL the way thru..5 year deal for $25 million..You get paid $5 million every year and cap hit is $5 million..Its simple and its how it should be..Everything else is open to criticism and circumvention.
Booo, I thought this was for the Sabres...What if they sign Brad Richards? One of the Sabres fans want to mock up the lineup with Ehrhoff and Richards? I might have to take back what I said earlier about them not being cup contenders.
If the Sabres sign Richards I wont be happy..They are becoming a threat again in the division.If the Leafs improve like we all hope , our division will be very strong with the exception of the Sens.
If the Sabres sign Richards I wont be happy..They are becoming a threat again in the division.If the Leafs improve like we all hope , our division will be very strong with the exception of the Sens.
If we sign Richards the Northeast is wrapped in the 3rd week of October...it's 2006 all over again. :club:

Has Brad Richards turned into Wayne Gretzky?:)Sorry Adam, Christian Ehrhoff, Robyn Regehr and Brad Richards won't be enough, imo.Also, I agree with Serge to some extent on the contract. It is cap circumvention, but it's done within the rules so the NHL can kick themselves in the nuts.

Agree with everything Dale just said. We make fun of NHL teams that overvalue+overpay these ufa's, but as fans we seem to be doing same thing. i have alwyas liked Richards, but even im bored of talk about him. That said, it's nice to see Buffalo get things to go their way thanks to new ownership. Funny how ownership can help huh???We all know there is no way Ehrhoff is gonna honour all of that deal. I don't care how much money you got, no one is gonna commit to living in Buffalo for 10years!

I know you live in Rochester but Adam are you going to take this!!!!!!
Heh, Arp would be really surprised to learn just how many former Sabres and NHL'ers in general still live in Buffalo...Michael Peca, Marty Biron, Dave Andreychuk, hell even Leafs legend Daryl Sittler lived in Buffalo for years and years before moving back to Canada. Marcel Dionne lived in the Buffalo area for YEARS. :club: It's a hard area to sell hockey players who've only seen the part you get on the bus between the airport and the arena, but once you move to Upstate NY it's hard to pick up and leave again.
Matt Barnaby said on tv and Twitter how great living in Buffalo is, and he still makes his home there as well.
Is this the guy who was arrested for beating someone up the other day? Hmmm, maybe he's not the best judge of things.Come on guys, I know Adam's our friend (Rochester not Buffalo) and we dont like picking on a whole city of good people....but its BUFFALO for gods sake. No one wants to live there!Today should be proof. I think Leino's next best offer was like half what he got to move his ass to upper New York state.(and we all know Leino wont be in Buffalo until midSept. Hes not spending his summers at the Anchor Bar!):club:
oh ya, great wings, but you got the hell out of the city once you were done, right???
Well we had to wait for morning until one of us could drive again, but yeah I wouldn't want to stay there longer than need be.

I'll admit, I'm really surprised by the Leino signing...not that he isn't a good player but the last thing we really needed in free agency is another skilled winger. If he can center the 2nd line better than Connolly did then I'm all for it, but personally I don't see it. $4 million cap is a lot for him as a player as well...kinda confused.

I'll admit, I'm really surprised by the Leino signing...not that he isn't a good player but the last thing we really needed in free agency is another skilled winger. If he can center the 2nd line better than Connolly did then I'm all for it, but personally I don't see it. $4 million cap is a lot for him as a player as well...kinda confused.
Me too. Considering what was said at the presser (they are into the 10% overage, looking at trades that will upgrade roster) that they still know exactly what you did. Too many wings, center still needs to be addressed.

I make the "Buffalo Sucks" jokes all the time, but I actually like it here quite a bit. The Elmwood Village always rates highly in neighborhood rankings done by magazines and travel brochures, not just for NY, but the entire US. I didn't grow up here and I've also lived in the rich part of San Diego (La Jolla) so it's not just a case of loyalty or ignorance. The city's reputation is far, far worse than its actuality.

My personal thought on what Buffalo has done:They have balls and respect them for spending the money.However they have made some huge mistakes IMO. Leino had one good year and Ehrhoff is signed longer than most of the NHL???Ehrhoff will be making more money than Sidney Crosby , Alex Ovechkin and most of the NHL next year..Something wrong with that as well.Good luck Buffalo, I will hate you more now...Let the rivalry heat up.

Good luck Buffalo, I will hate you more now...Let the rivalry heat up.
At least we can have a mutual hate in NYR now.Bring it... :club: