Guitar Training Websites

I've now taken a few guitar lessons and it's not going very well...mostly because the instructor is an idiot that spends half of our time teaching himself whatever he is about to teach me. I came across this site today when looking up how to play Me and Julio on youtube, and I'm now thinking that something like this would be a lot better for me. It's a hell of a lot cheaper (hi scram), and it seems like with the amount of free time I have it makes more sense to have access to something like this 24/7 instead of just the half hour weekly.Does anyone have experience with the site above or any other one like it? Advice? Suggestions? Etc?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get Guitar Hero ! I've heard from many people that it really messes you up if you play "real" guitar.Slash was on Conan O'Brien recently and said the same thing.
I don't see how it could screw you up since they are two completely different things.

I played very, very seriously for a long time and then quit when my playing hit the wall.Gave it up for a while, and recently, i've returned to it.During the lapse, the web blew up with all the crazy interactive 2.0 shit that's become common in the past few years.Yes, it is a tremendous resource- one that seriously marginalizes mediocre and/or lower level live instruction. I find myself utilizing web content exclusively for instruction these days. Also, it shows how much insane talent is really out there.

Yes, it is a tremendous resource- one that seriously marginalizes mediocre and/or lower level live instruction. I find myself utilizing web content exclusively for instruction these days. Also, it shows how much insane talent is really out there.
Any specific recommendations? I realize you've looked at advanced shit while I need basic/intermediate instruction, but I'm guessing that the best sites are good at all of it.

It depends on how good you are at "earballing" shit.I have what they call perfect pitch, so I can basically hear songs, comprehend the underlying technicals in my mind and then work on playing it. Youtube videos are good enough for me. For most everyone else, you will at least need something that shows finger positioning. Seriously, unless you're looking to play obscure stuff, a decent youtube search will show you examples of people playing- from there, you can get an idea of what fingers go where. For strummy stuff, starting with a chord book and obtaining fluency is the basic foundation of it all. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...p;search=Search

It depends on how good you are at "earballing" shit.I have what they call perfect pitch, so I can basically hear songs, comprehend the underlying technicals in my mind and then work on playing it. Youtube videos are good enough for me. For most everyone else, you will at least need something that shows finger positioning. Seriously, unless you're looking to play obscure stuff, a decent youtube search will show you examples of people playing- from there, you can get an idea of what fingers go where. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...p;search=Search
Is there anything you don't know everything about?
Is there anything you don't know everything about?
Guns, guitars, watches, stained glass, power tools, the theoretical underpinnings of poker, criminal sentencing at both the state and federal level, Deli foods, valuing securities and pricing real estate. I know everything about those things. I know very little else.
It depends on how good you are at "earballing" shit.I have what they call 'perfect pitch', so I can basically hear songs, comprehend the underlying technicals in my mind and then work on playing it. Youtube videos are good enough for me. For most everyone else, you will at least need something that shows finger positioning. Seriously, unless you're looking to play obscure stuff, a decent youtube search will show you examples of people playing- from there, you can get an idea of what fingers go where. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...p;search=Search
I've learned some songs from youtube already...that's actually how I came across the instructional site (it was linked to from an incomplete teaser for how to play Me and Julio or something else I recently searched). I'm have a decent ear, but I need more of a base before I can just hear a song and pick it up. I think I need to learn the basics of how the chords and scales work with each other (and, actually, how to play the chords I don't already know from messing around), a primer on how to read tabs, and maybe some exercises for improving my speed in both hands (aside from just playing songs like I've been doing).
I've learned some songs from youtube already...that's actually how I came across the instructional site (it was linked to from an incomplete teaser for how to play Me and Julio or something else I recently searched). I'm have a decent ear, but I need more of a base before I can just hear a song and pick it up. I think I need to learn the basics of how the chords and scales work with each other, a primer on how to read tabs, and maybe some exercises for improving my speed in both hands (aside from just playing songs like I've been doing).
The biggest mistake I made when I was first starting was trying to fly the plane before I even knew how to sweep it. It caused huge gaps in my technical abilities and I basically painted myself in a corner from the outset. Definitely, definitely start with a solid technical foundation. Learn your chords, scales, modes- add in arpeggios, etc. Understand the root theories behind the sounds.It takes time and dedication, but once you get over that hump, shit gets a lot easier.I had to unlearn a lot of stuff.
The biggest mistake I made when I was first starting was trying to fly the plane before I even knew how to sweep it. It caused huge gaps in my technical abilities and I basically painted myself in a corner from the outset. Definitely, definitely start with a solid technical foundation. Learn your chords, scales, modes- add in arpeggios, etc. Understand the root theories behind the sounds.It takes time and dedication, but once you get over that hump, shit gets a lot easier.I had to unlearn a lot of stuff.[/quoteCoincidentally, I'm trying to learn to play guitar again(tried a few years ago, got a few pages into a book and lost interest) I basically am tone deaf, but did play the piano for about 6 years so I can read music pretty well.Do you recommend I work through my lesson book, or learn the scales and go from there?

I'm probably the worst guy to give advice to as far as learning to play without some sort of auditory tonal recognition skills.A lot of great guitar technicians have been "tone deaf" as far as pitch comprehension so it isn't really a barrier, but it does require a different academic approach that I know nothing about.

Coincidentally, I'm trying to learn to play guitar again(tried a few years ago, got a few pages into a book and lost interest) I basically am tone deaf, but did play the piano for about 6 years so I can read music pretty well.Do you recommend I work through my lesson book, or learn the scales and go from there?
Music theory is even more important for you then. Learn scales and modes until they are burned into your fingertips. Solo's, harmonies, and general melodies all stem from them and can enable you to get to jam sessions with friends a lot sooner, which are of course, a blast.

It really depends on what you want to learn. Are you looking to just learn how to play all the cool songs to help get your penis touched or are you looking for something more.If the first part is the path you want to take then just grab the Guitar Tab White Pages at your local music store or bookstore. Tab is easy and requires no instruction really. Each line represents a string on your guitar and the number represents what fret you put your finger on and that is it. If you know the song you are playing it shouldn't be to difficult. If you don't know the song then it is a tab harder since you need to be able to read music to know what an 8th note is and a rest and a quarter note and the tempo and such.If it's the latter than there are tons of books, videos, and I am sure websites that will give you full musical instruction. Hell OnDemand on my comcast digital cable channel has a whole section on learning how to play guitar. I took a few lessons to learn how to use a guitar and play gay songs like twinkle twinkle. Then I quit and just bought tab books. I can now listen to a song and like scram figure it out. It's all I did when younger was pull out my tapes(yes there were no CD's back then) and trying to learn the whole tape.

for twenty dollars a month that website looks like a good deal to me. you could get that and use what you learn from it to learn how to play as many songs as you can in whatever direction you want to go with your playing, which is how you learn to really play anyway. i wouldn't recommend a teacher unless you know exactly what you want to learn from them.

I just recently got back into playing. I had started when I was around 12 and got off to a fast start, thanks in large part to my teacher who is a professional studio guitarist and producer. I really haven't ever seen or heard of a player with more straight up chops and technical talent then this guy had. Luckily for me, he started giving lessons basically for fun and some extra pocket change, and I got in early. He had a policy where your price as a student would never go up, regardless of whether or not he raised prices for newcomers.I broke my hand in a football game a while back and because of it, I kind of fell out of guitar playing. I picked it up again a few months ago, and as of last week went back to my teacher, who still charges me $15 an hour even though now his name has gotten around and he's charging new students somewhere around $35-40.I realize this has nothing to do with you speedz, but I just want to let you know that I'm better than you. Enjoy your day.

I'm probably the worst guy to give advice to as far as learning to play without some sort of auditory tonal recognition skills.A lot of great guitar technicians have been "tone deaf" as far as pitch comprehension so it isn't really a barrier, but it does require a different academic approach that I know nothing about.
I took 4 years of music theory throughout high school and college, but I could not imagine trying to teach myself songs and write music if I were tone deaf. I have a good ear to start with, and as I'm sure you know, it gets sharper with use. When I used to play everyday for hours I wouldn't need to have my guitar in front of me when I heard most songs. I could just peg the key and the majority of the chords as I listened to it. Since I got a little rusty, I can still come close without the instrument on my lap, but it is a bit harder. Nonetheless, being tone deaf to me is about as hard to fathom as being blind. I'll save you guys the trouble..."But you are half blind because your eyes squint!"LoLzErBeAmZ!
I just recently got back into playing. I had started when I was around 12 and got off to a fast start, thanks in large part to my teacher who is a professional studio guitarist and producer. I really haven't ever seen or heard of a player with more straight up chops and technical talent then this guy had. Luckily for me, he started giving lessons basically for fun and some extra pocket change, and I got in early. He had a policy where your price as a student would never go up, regardless of whether or not he raised prices for newcomers.I broke my hand in a football game a while back and because of it, I kind of fell out of guitar playing. I picked it up again a few months ago, and as of last week went back to my teacher, who still charges me $15 an hour even though now his name has gotten around and he's charging new students somewhere around $35-40.I realize this has nothing to do with you speedz, but I just want to let you know that I'm better than you. Enjoy your day.
i have absolutely no name as a guitar teacher and i charge $30 for 45 minutes, its so sweet.

Ok, I just took my third (and last) lesson. The third failure in a row combined with this thread has convinced me to sign up for that site. Thanks.

I realize this has nothing to do with you speedz, but I just want to let you know that I'm better than you. Enjoy your day.
I could call your place of employment and send you on a wild goose chase to deliver a pizza to the middle of a corn field. I'm almost positive this makes me better than you.Shazaam!

Scram, I bet you my life savings that you don't have perfect pitch. I've studied for 10 years and have amazing RELATIVE pitch (something you might be talking about). It is an extreme rarity for anyone to truly have perfect pitch. That is something you have to be born with. No offense, but the ability to hear something and replay it on an instrument completely misses the point of perfect pitch. That just means you can hear the pitch of what you're listening to and can copy it onto an instrument. People do that everyday. Think about when you sing along with the radio. If you can sing all the pitches correctly, that doesn't mean you have perfect pitch. If you can hear something and then replay it on a guitar, that doesn't mean you have perfect pitch.I have a friend that has memorized the pitch C and he'll give me all the octaves.... from that, I can randomly plink notes out on the piano... he hears the m3 and can tell me it's an Eb. and THAT'S not even perfect pitch... that's relative pitch.The one person I've ever met with perfect pitch was my college piano instructor who had his masters from IU. You could replay Chopin and he could sing along saying each note as it's played exactly. It's about the mental recognition of the pitch. The funny thing in his case was that his mental recognition came by color. He would hear notes and uncontrollable waves of colors would wash through him as pitches went by. The story surrounding him goes that he almost wouldn't perform in the college's auditorium because all of the walls were an extremely bright and bold red. When he played something fast or chords with a lot of notes, the walls would screw him up on what he thought he was playing.C ------ D Eb ------- F D G Ab Bb ----- C C!!!!!! Guy was insane. Proof of perfect pitch would be you staring at a wall and me slamming my arm down on a piano and you telling me every note that is being held. Seriously, life savings...... and if you did have it, well, it would be worth it :club: * Identify and name individual pitches (e.g. A, B, C#) played on various instruments * Name the key of a given piece of tonal music * Identify and name all the tones of a given chord or other tonal mass * Sing a given pitch without an external reference * Name the pitches of common everyday occurrences such as car horns

Scram, I bet you my life savings that you don't have perfect pitch.
You'd lose.
Proof of perfect pitch would be you staring at a wall and me slamming my arm down on a piano and you telling me every note that is being held. * Identify and name all the tones of a given chord or other tonal mass
Tonal masses are the only textural dynamics that give me troubles, so if that's required for "perfect pitch", then I guess not, but everything else, absolutely. I can identify pitch as far as the closest tonal relation to human speech, too. My tonal recognition isn't quite on par with an Eric Johnson type (like, being able to tell what kind of battery is being used in an effects pedal) but it's probably in the top .5%.If the threshold for what's required to legitimately claim "perfect pitch" is the top .0001%, then I guess I can't.