Should I reraise this pot to go make it HU against the BB? Also, checking the flop is bad, and calling the flop is bad correct?PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FCP)SB ($263.55)BB ($102.60)UTG ($139.95)Hero ($85.30)Button ($88.60)Preflop: Hero is MP with A :club: , K :) . 1 fold, Hero raises to $4, Button calls $4, 1 fold, BB raises to $17, Hero calls $13, Button calls $13.Flop: ($51.50) Q :D , A :D , T :D(3 players)BB checks, Hero checks, Button bets $71.6 (All-In), BB folds, Hero calls $68.30 (All-In).Turn: ($188.10) 4 :)(2 players, 2 all-in)River: ($188.10) 5 :D(2 players, 2 all-in)Final Pot: $188.11

sticky spotpreflop - against most players i 4 bet and commit to calling a shove (pretty much would have to because of the dead $ in the pot). if BB is really tight, i'm ok with letting this go because flat calling here really sucks. no offense - i just mean the situation it creates is chitty because you'd be putting in a quarter of your stack preflop with just a drawing hand, possibly 3 way, and your relative position postflop would really stink because you're caught in a sandwich again. flop - sort of read dependent. do you have any? specifically, a read on the button? not really worried about BB after he checks - if he's got half a brain he should be leading with AA/QQ/TT.

This really really really looks like AQ from button. I think you have to lead this flop and fold to a shove. 4-betting PF is ok here, but I dont mind calling the 3-bet either. A 3-bet from the BB is usually a strong hand.

This really really really looks like AQ from button. I think you have to lead this flop and fold to a shove. 4-betting PF is ok here, but I dont mind calling the 3-bet either. A 3-bet from the BB is usually a strong hand.
we can't lead and foldunless we totally weak lead (worse than checking), we'd be getting the odds to draw even to our gutteri wouldn't necesarily give a 3-bet from the BB too much credit unless villain's really tight. people squeeze from there a lot, especially 5 handed, exactly because it puts us in an awkward spot like this.
Should I reraise this pot to go make it HU against the BB? Also, checking the flop is bad, and calling the flop is bad correct?PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) SB ($263.55)BB ($102.60)UTG ($139.95)Hero ($85.30)Button ($88.60)Preflop: Hero is MP with A :club: , K :D . 1 fold, Hero raises to $4, Button calls $4, 1 fold, BB raises to $17, Hero calls $13, Button calls $13.Flop: ($51.50) Q :D , A :D , T :D(3 players)BB checks, Hero checks, Button bets $71.6 (All-In), BB folds, Hero calls $68.30 (All-In).
BB dumped KK on the flop I'm guessing. Button smooth calls you PF, then comes along for the RR and pushes the flop. I think if you called the $17 raise PF, you have to call all in on the flop. Pretty standard if you're gonna call pre-flop. I'm guessing you chopped or ran into QQ. I can't imagine AQ calling a raise and a re-raise.

Eh, I doubt button ever shows up with QQ here.I'm more worried about AQ, and to a much lesser extent AT. We've got 7 outs against AQ, 4 outs against a set (plus runners). Plus we're ahead a bunch of the time, imo.

BB dumped KK on the flop I'm guessing. Button smooth calls you PF, then comes along for the RR and pushes the flop. I think if you called the $17 raise PF, you have to call all in on the flop. Pretty standard if you're gonna call pre-flop. I'm guessing you chopped or ran into QQ. I can't imagine AQ calling a raise and a re-raise.
Why in the world would you put in specifically on KK. This could jsut as easily be JJ or 1010. I fold to the shove. What is he shoving that you are beating?
Why in the world would you put in specifically on KK. This could jsut as easily be JJ or 1010. I fold to the shove. What is he shoving that you are beating?
Because that's what mtdesmoines does.I don't know if he really puts people on one specific hand as opposed to ranges, but that's what he always posts.I'm certain he knows better in practice, though.edit - but yeah, his range is probably pretty tight in this case, or at worst very polarized between super strong hands that missed (KK, JJ), and total air that he was squeezing.

This all sucks. Hard.Maybe fold preflop. Maybe call preflop. Maybe shove preflop. Maybe check flop. Maybe bet flop. Maybe fold to push. Maybe call push.With reads I could go any way on any of these.If BB is LAG I shove preflop. If BB is tight passive I fold preflop. In between I don't mind the call.I think I usually check the flop. The only hands you beat from BB are JJ and KK and I think button regularly has AQ or TT here. It's kind of a WA/WB flop. ish.Without a read I think I fold to the shove, although I do think AK is often in button's range. It depends though. If button is bad loose passive and can have AJ here then it's a call. If it's AK/AQ every time then it's a fold.

The only hands BB can check/fold there if he's a standard $100nl player are KK and JJ. KK is also more likely to reraise preflop. We do hold a K though, so it probably balances.BB never has TT here because he CHECK/FOLDED A SET.
Are you saying the BB would fold TT on that flop, then?Besides, did you see the words, "I'm GUESSING"?
Eh, I doubt button ever shows up with QQ here.I'm more worried about AQ, and to a much lesser extent AT. We've got 7 outs against AQ, 4 outs against a set (plus runners). Plus we're ahead a bunch of the time, imo.
Zach, don't you think AQ and AT get out PF? I would.You can take a big flop HU with a weaker A, but not a three way flop.
The only hands BB can check/fold there if he's a standard $100nl player are KK and JJ. KK is also more likely to reraise preflop. We do hold a K though, so it probably balances.BB never has TT here because he CHECK/FOLDED A SET.
KK and JJ and MAAAAYYYYYBEEEE 99 are the only BB hands that behave this way at the flop, unless we ran into someone blowing smoke up our ass with a suited middle connector.
Zach, don't you think AQ and AT get out PF? I would.You can take a big flop HU with a weaker A, but not a three way flop.
What I think, and what poor players actually do aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.I think AT will fold pf 98% of the time though, AQ, and more specifically AQs might stick around. I mean, it all depends on the player, right? Some guys could show up with A2 soooted here a lot.========On the flip side, why would TT/QQ jam this flop like this?
What I think, and what poor players actually do aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.I think AT will fold pf 98% of the time though, AQ, and more specifically AQs might stick around. I mean, it all depends on the player, right? Some guys could show up with A2 soooted here a lot.========On the flip side, why would TT/QQ jam this flop like this?
True.Right. Why would any hand that hit this board hard jam it? Any hand hitting harder than ours is crushing this board. Why wouldn't they milk it?
True.Right. Why would any hand that hit this board hard jam it? Any hand hitting harder than ours is crushing this board. Why wouldn't they milk it?
The reason I think we're behind right now is because it seems like villain has to have a made hand to push into this board. He probably wants to end the hand now before a J or K peels off and there's four broadways out there.
The reason I think we're behind right now is because it seems like villain has to have a made hand to push into this board. He probably wants to end the hand now before a J or K peels off and there's four broadways out there.
paired and unpaired cards drawing to broadway KK JJ QJ KQ on this board are frozen -- they can't bet here. WE don't need to go all in to protect against them. AAA QQQ and TTT are going to send out a smaller, CRAI-able bet so they can get it in. This villain wants to scare everyone off. Why? Answer: AK.

I would've avoided this situation by reraising preflop and just committing myself to the pot. Players like to squeeze a lot and you're almost always flipping, sometimes dominated and rarely dominating, probably something in the range of 70%/25%/5% here and that's if you get called when you shove preflop. Sometimes you get folds when you would be flipping and that increases your equity in that spot.I can't see calling this flop. Is he gonna shove here with KK or JJ? That's pretty suicidal to shove that hand into 2 people with that action on that board. Leading the flop is bad. I think putting any money in here is just bad since you're almost never winning and definitely not good enough to call from a pot odds standpoint. The best you're realistically ever doing here is chopping with another AK.So, mostly I think we should shove preflop, but since we didn't and we saw that flop 3 handed, I think it's gotta be a fold.

paired and unpaired cards hitting broadway or drawing to broadway KK JJ QJ KQ on this board are frozen -- they can't bet here. WE don't need to go all in to protect against them. AAA QQQ and TTT are going to send out a smaller, CRAI-able bet so they can get it in. This villain wants to scare everyone off. Why? Answer: AK.
PLEASE assign a range of hands. It makes so much more sense. I agree he often has AK here, but if he's got TT or QQ, I'd shove too. Look at stack sizes. Look at board texture. Look at there being 2 opponents. If I see this flop in a reraised pot and I had the iniative, I'm probably just shoveling AK, AQ, QQ, and TT here and I'll let anyone else figure out what they wanna do. AA is the one hand where I might put in a 3/4 PSB, but that's only because I know that nobody else likely has an Ace to call me with anyway. I might just shove that hand too. With stack sizes, any bet is essentially a shove anyway.If we're gonna concede that he almost never shows up with AJ/KK/JJ then this is a really easy fold.
Acid, are you mixing up the button and the bb in this hand?
Naturally. :)Ok, new question for the OP: Why did you not bet the flop after the BB checked?You're still probably losing, but I'd be more inclined to call now because of pot odds.