you can't be a winner all the time.

I always see people passing on their tales of winning sessions, or "OMG I FLOPPED [insert hand name here]". Hey, I'm happy for those that win. It's a great feeling to win. I know the feeling. And don't get me wrong, I'm guilty of story telling to a degree, but I think that there aren't enough people posting about losing sessions. And I don't want those who just start playing to come here and take on the mind set that you can win all the time. So, here's my latest session, which was a losing one.Notable hands, both victorious and defeated:1) Check and unraised pot from the BB with Doyle [10-2], flop two pair, and it holds up. I like it when I win with Doyle, it kind of pays silent homage to the man. Picked up a $40-ish pot or so.2) Had 7-7 from the button, raised it, couple of callers, flop the set, turn Quads, win a $60-ish pot along with the Monte Carlo payout, which was only $70 or so, since it was just restarted. Oh well, extra money is extra money.3) Pulled an incredibly well-timed semi-bluff with middle pair and a prominent wheel draw for my opponent to muck his pocket tens. That one was a fluke. 99.99% of the time you can't really bluff out anyone in $3/$6.4) Had Qc-Jc, flop comes down with three clubs, cap the whole way on and after the flop, [turn and river were insignificant], lost a monster pot to Ac-Kc flush. Lost something like $63 dollars on that hand.5) Lost a flopped set of Jacks to a double-gutted straight that he runner-runnered. Didn't dwell on that too much, bad beats just happen. It's par of the game. Lost a decent chunk though, $50 or so. 6) Had A-J, horrendously overplayed it, ended up mucking my pair of J's on the Turn after being check-raised with a board that grossly reeked of a flush. Lost about $20.After three hours of playing, I had lost about $120 all told, which sucks for the bankroll.The point of this post?All you newer players, don't believe the Chris Moneymaker hype. Did he get lucky and win 2.5 million dollars? Yes he did. Is he a good player? Not in the slightest. Don't think that just because he did it, magically, you can too. You can't win all the time, you have to know your limits and stick to 'em. Hoped this helped a little. :D:club::D:D

:roll: what a stupid post. how does your post show anything that moneymaker is lucky and isnt good at poker? get a life. my AA got cracked so the sky is green. thats the kind of comparison youre making. :roll:

I don't understand why everyone bashes Chris Moneymaker first of all he did get lucky more times than most to win the WSOP but that still means he played what thousands of hands right. He isn't a Howard Lederer, but you know what? He Won and he deserves some sort of respect for that? Don't you think? I don't have a braclet and he does.I think the Poker Superstars Invitational is showing Chris exactly what type of person it takes to be playing with that caliber of player day in and day out. But to bash someone on some messageboard somewhere just to make yourself feel better. That is truly sad.

i agree. People tend to talk about 'HOW MUCH THEY WIN' but now how much they lose and that is a serious problem for newcomers. Only the ones that talks about losing sessions are the ones that are known to be already successful. But I understand why people don't talk about losing sessions. But i just hope newcomers understand the difference and keep an open mind when it comes to learning this game. It is VERY DIFFICULT. Usually eveyrone just says it's VERY DIFFICULT and that's all you'll hear about it. However the experience is much more tormenting and it can be detrimental to your self esteem and attitude in life. I cant imagine how early poker players did it in the past. Sometimes you need someone to refer to in the poker world and that is the reason why I LOVE THIS SITE. Those avidly go on here are all from the school of Daniel Negreanu.