Rebuy Strategy

Played my first small-stakes rebuy tourney today, a $2.20 + rebuy + add-on sat to the Million. The action was crazy and I had no idea how to compensate. What kind of strategy do you guys use for this type of tourney? All guns blazing and keep rebuying if you have to?One guy got yelled at in chat when he called a reraise for all his 9000 or so chips with J8 and won right before the rebuy period ended. Since the double-rebuy amount is 4000 chips, he basically risked 5000 chips (+$4) for a chance to double to 18000. Is that good strategy in a rebuy like this?

Yes. because if this was directly to the million, he is risking the +4 equity he has, to put himself in a much better shot of getting the $200+seat.If he misses, he double rebuys, adds on, and is pretty much where he left off.

Yup, low stakes buy in just keep pumping it in with anythink promising...suited gappers, non-suited no gappers, two broadways, A9+. Once I double or triple up I tighten up considerably on the all ins, trying to see a lot of cheap flops. Near the bubble with an above average stack dont play anything for a lot of money except the nuts After the break watch out for smallish stacks that still act like theyre in rebuy mode.

Didn't make it far enough to employ "near-the-bubble" strategy. I busted out in 255th (out of 650+). Can't say I'm a big fan of that structure - the whole thing just seemed like chaos. You can't really play poker when people are taking all sorts of risks, busting out, and then double-rebuying right back in. I play low stakes precisely because I don't have the bankroll to support larger buy-ins, so the last thing I wanted to do was blow a bunch of cash to keep trying in this thing. I was already annoyed with myself for turning the $2.20 buyin into $6.20!

I like the Shootouts to the Sunday Mill better too...also, the $5 rebuy to the $55 seat (Nightly 50 Grand Maybe?) R a little better beucause there are more seats per entry, thereby the late play doesn't get as crazy-still crazy, but not as crazy.

How does a shootout work?
It's basically like a series of single table sitn'gos, where the winner of each round advances to the next round. The advantage of a shootout is, that with every new round, every player is at the same chiplevel again. This compensates the luckstreaks of some donks in the earlier rounds of a tournament.

Sure, but don't you actually have to win your SnG to move on to the next round? That's a lot more challenging than a regular MTT where you just have to make it far enough in to cash or win a seat.

I'd stay away from the rebuys unless u have the balls to keep pushing and rebuying. If you are playing one that is not for a satellite then re buy right away and play super tight agg until the re-buy is over. Do have the double rebuy on if you need it early, and take the add on if you think you have enough chips to get to the money. The tourney should mellow out a bit after the add on. The problem with the above strategy is that you will not make BIG money in ANY re buy unless you are hyper agg and catch cards early.

Playing shootouts to the Sunday Mil is basicaly burning money.
As i said in the other thread, shootouts that arent fully bought into, and start with short tables are the exception, if youve got short table skills.
Yup, low stakes buy in just keep pumping it in with anythink promising...suited gappers, non-suited no gappers, two broadways, A9+. Once I double or triple up I tighten up considerably on the all ins, trying to see a lot of cheap flops. Near the bubble with an above average stack dont play anything for a lot of money except the nuts After the break watch out for smallish stacks that still act like theyre in rebuy mode.
QFT