Trips On Flop, Facing A Bet On Turn And River

Same villian as the KK hand I posted. Solid player who doesn't get crazy out of line, but is capable of playing hands trickily.Villian has $3500, I cover.About 6 of us see the flop. Villian calls in hijackI call on button with 76oFlop J77, 2 hearts.Checks to Villian who bets $50.co calls.I raise to $200Villian calls, co folds.Turn offsuit 8. (pot $510)Villian leads $400I callRiver offsuit 5. (pot $1310)Villian leads $500Thoughts on:1) Anyone consider folding turn?2) Call or fold or bluffraise/shove river?Mark

think i just call the river based on odds.you're probably beat here more often than not, but probably not more than the odds dictate.there are a lot of ways to interpret the turn donk, especially since villain is tricky. - he wants to charge you with in case you're just semibluffing with just a naked flush draw, but is fine folding it if you raise the turn again, so he has a J. - he's got 7x (still ahead of yours) and is charging draws/block betting against what he thinks could be superior 7x hands. hard for you to raise that turn without at least T9/A7. - he's got a boat/T9/A7 and is ok with you raising again with 7x or with a draw based on you viewing the donkbet as weak. so the turn donkbet doesn't really help us narrow his range - tricky indeed. so no, i don't fold the turn - the range is still wide enough to not fold our hand.once he bets the river though, it's definitely not a boat (should bet more if it's going to bet to maximize), so we're left with Jx, T9, 7x. I think T9 & high 7x hands either c-c because they can afford to call up to a full PSB that could be a bluff, while also eliminating the risk of facing a shove on a paired board, or they bet more than 2/5 pot to maximize against 7x, and commit themselves to calling a shove. it doesn't make sense for villain to bet small enough to find a fold (and simultaneously reduce his value) with the top end of his range, when he can be reasonably sure a bet about that size is coming from you if you have a hand that could call the bet he made. but for the rest of his range - this bet makes perfect sense. he gets to name his price, gets ok value if he's ahead, and you can't raise here most of the time. which means we could raise here, turn our hand into a bluff and fold a slightly better 7x, but i think the odds are good enough that it's ok just to call because every so often he only has a J. BTW - these are great hands Mark. Thanks for posting them.

think i just call the river based on odds.you're probably beat here more often than not, but probably not more than the odds dictate.there are a lot of ways to interpret the turn donk, especially since villain is tricky. - he wants to charge you with in case you're just semibluffing with just a naked flush draw, but is fine folding it if you raise the turn again, so he has a J. - he's got 7x (still ahead of yours) and is charging draws/block betting against what he thinks could be superior 7x hands. hard for you to raise that turn without at least T9/A7. - he's got a boat/T9/A7 and is ok with you raising again with 7x or with a draw based on you viewing the donkbet as weak. so the turn donkbet doesn't really help us narrow his range - tricky indeed. so no, i don't fold the turn - the range is still wide enough to not fold our hand.once he bets the river though, it's definitely not a boat (should bet more if it's going to bet to maximize), so we're left with Jx, T9, 7x. I think T9 & high 7x hands either c-c because they can afford to call up to a full PSB that could be a bluff, while also eliminating the risk of facing a shove on a paired board, or they bet more than 2/5 pot to maximize against 7x, and commit themselves to calling a shove. it doesn't make sense for villain to bet small enough to find a fold (and simultaneously reduce his value) with the top end of his range, when he can be reasonably sure a bet about that size is coming from you if you have a hand that could call the bet he made. but for the rest of his range - this bet makes perfect sense. he gets to name his price, gets ok value if he's ahead, and you can't raise here most of the time. which means we could raise here, turn our hand into a bluff and fold a slightly better 7x, but i think the odds are good enough that it's ok just to call because every so often he only has a J. BTW - these are great hands Mark. Thanks for posting them.
This was really helpful. Good post.
I know you are not suppose to post, but what did he have (if you called)?
I do know what villian had this hand and I'll post it probably when I get back from my session today.Mark
I do know what villian had this hand and I'll post it probably when I get back from my session today.Mark
I probably call and really don't like it. People never fold trips in live games as often as they should, so a bluff raise seems sketchy here as well.Also, how'd the HJ bet the flop, the SB called and then you raised from the button? Just wondering.

If the villain is tricky knows you are aggressive the weak bet on the river could be designed to induce a bluffraise. I'm not sure a bluffraise will get many better hands to fold, maybe 79/7T/7A, but you would need to know is villain is capable of making such a laydownIf the villain is setting his price with a Jack, then raising will surely fold him out.Getting good odds I think this is A Jack enough to call.

So you didn't call? Wasn't the odds good enough to warrant a call, even if you are most likely beat?

Hate all 3 options tbh. Pretty gross I don't see how your hand is ever good.Don't bluff raise the river, definitely won't be successful often enough to be profitable.Meh, I guess just fold. Or you could call and hope he was doing something silly and then just chalk it up to a "cooler" or "being priced in"?

Also, how'd the HJ bet the flop, the SB called and then you raised from the button? Just wondering.
Sorry, I got the positions wrong in the hh since these were the same villians in another hand. sb was really in the CO.Mark

I tanked this hand for a good 2 or 3 minutes. I didn't see how I could be good, but I was getting such a good price. Someone gave me the old 'come on you know you aren't calling' line, so I showed my 7 and folded. Villian showed K7s.Mark

if he plays suited king rags, should that change your view about him and his reasoning for certain plays,like his smooth call flop, lead turn bet... which is always weird IMO and should send some sort of signal that he's trying to get money in the pot.

Is there a reason for showing the 7?
Yeah, I wanted him to show his hand. How it went down was, a couple guys at the other end of the table were talking because I was tanking so long, and one of them said: 'Come on man, you know you aren't calling', thinking I had AJ here or something. So I flashed just that side of the table the seven and said something that politely meant to stfu because their donkey asses probably instacall here and get stacked. I was friendly with my opponent so when he saw I showed a 7 and folded, he showed me his hand.Mark
Same villian as the KK hand I posted. Solid player who doesn't get crazy out of line, but is capable of playing hands trickily.Villian has $3500, I cover.About 6 of us see the flop. Villian calls in hijackI call on button with 76oFlop J77, 2 hearts.Checks to Villian who bets $50.co calls.I raise to $200Villian calls, co folds.Turn offsuit 8. (pot $510)Villian leads $400I callRiver offsuit 5. (pot $1310)Villian leads $500Thoughts on:1) Anyone consider folding turn?2) Call or fold or bluffraise/shove river?Mark
I def. call the turn. What's the point of having position if u're not going to use it? : )as played, it's really hard but I think river is a fold. This guy seems to pretty much focus only on value betting. You don't even beat 57 here. It really looks like 9,Ts here given his river bet. can he make hero calls? I don't think he has a boat here and a shove is really dangerous but I think if you have a good image, you can get him off his hand here.
I def. call the turn. What's the point of having position if u're not going to use it? : )as played, it's really hard but I think river is a fold. This guy seems to pretty much focus only on value betting. You don't even beat 57 here. It really looks like 9,Ts here given his river bet. can he make hero calls? I don't think he has a boat here and a shove is really dangerous but I think if you have a good image, you can get him off his hand here.
I am sure he would have folded if I shoved now that I know he had K7s. But I was really worried about 75 or 78 having a boat already.Mark