Just wanted to bring this up...Have you ever played in an MTT where people just keep going all in and then losing to rebuy. Then when the rebuys get cut off they still go all in.The odds calculators amongst you like myself must fume at these tactics.If its an $18 rebuy wthh 140 people say in an MTT and they hit 6 or so rebuys they have to at least make the final table to atleast break even.MADNESS if you ask me.Is there a member who uses this tactic? If so I would love to hear your theory. Maybe I am missing out on something?What are others feelings on this and have you seen it happen much at your on-line poker rooms?

Personally I hate rebuys and nearly refuse to play them, but on occassion I get a hankerin (thats a southern term for 'urge') to play one. When I do play a rebuy I play the first hour tighter then a drum only playing the most premium of hands and I always utilize the addon unless I am above 80% avg stack.I have seen the madness that you talk about and I dont think there is any way someone can make money doing that on a regular basis. Some people confuse rebuy tournies with turbo tournies and think they have to build there stack as fast as possible. A big stack can help intimidate and take a few extra blinds, but in the long run its best to just play your normal game.Its kinda of like a fish in a ring game. You chase enough flops, turns, and rivers you will always end up losing more of you're bankroll then you will ever add to it. I personally hate all-in crap unless its really high blinds and no other plays make sense. I know its a part of the game and it wouldnt be NL without the power of the all-in, but to me its a wussy move that usually says "I'm not that good at poker so I will let a coin decide if I can continue playing or not"

I personally hate rebuys as well. One of my friends plays them all the time and goes all-in every couple of minutes online. I asked him why, and he said "because I have the money to do it, and sooner or later I'll hit my card". Makes no sense to me.

I have read stories of a certain Pro (D.N.) that played in a rebuy tourney and took advantage of the rebuy more than 25X. People called him all kinds of things, guess what, he made the final table and made back all his investment and then some.Playing rebuy tourneys can be tricky, depending on the blind structure. If by the end of the rebuy period, the blinds are a significant % of the rebuy stack, it could be difficult to keep up with the rest of the pack (that is now playing with all of your chips).EDIT: gussr beat me to this one.

in defense of those who rebuy many times, i'm not one of them, when you rebuy many times there are generally many chips at your table. therefore, if you are a strong enough player to regain those chips, it can give you an advantage over players at tables with less chips.

also remember that the ability to rebuy makes it easier to take early risks that might pay off and put you in a great position. for example, i hosted a single rebuy tourney at my house with about 12 people. we had 2 tables of six. in the first 20 minutes a solid player (player a) was up against an all-in post-flop bet from a loose maniac (player b)that isn't very good and has continuously(past tourneys, too) showed he can play any two cards. player a calls with A 5 suited with A x x onthe board. in a normal non-rebuy tourney he probably would have folded that hand and waited for a better chance to take player b's money, but since he knew he could re-buy he took the risk. if he wins the pot he is sitting pretty, if he doesn't he rebuys and has some extra work to do. sure enough, he got beat by two under pairs re-bought and was able to get his money back and finish third.i personally don't play in rebuy tourneys online or in public cardrooms, i don't feel i am advanced enough to know how to adjust my odds and risk analysis. we only do them at the home games so people get to play a little longer if they get a little crazy early on. that and it is more money for the good players to win when the maniacs rebuy :)q

Daniel happened to tell the rebuy story when he was on The Fan590 all sports radio in Toronto just after the Borgata tourney. It was replayed last night.He said he just wasn't in the mood to play (as happens) and in fact rebought 27 times. He said even the dealer was commenting that he didn't really know how to play poker and he was the talk of the room.Finally it started to bug him and he decided to show everyone. He spent $27,000 on rebuys and ended up winning the event for $105,000, making a tidy profit.

Another note: each rebuy dilutes the value of every stack that is in play, by putting that many more chips into play. The challenge in these tourneys is if you get stuck in one where the other tables are rebuying like mad, and you are stuck at a tight table. When your table breaks up, you can be severely shortstacked.