Official Firearms Thread

This shooting club is something I'd have access too if I wanted to treat myself.

http://www.valhallas....com/index.html

It's on the same property of a somewhat exclusive resort called Elk Mountain. I've eaten at the resorts restaurant three times which is Michelin rated. Dude spent in the 9 figures building this resort and he's a gun nut so he built what he has described to me as his fantasy shooting club. I've met the dude a couple of times and he's cool. The energy absorbing rubberized walls for the urban live fire scenario rooms cost over 2 mill alone. Dude invites special forces like army rangers, green berets and other bad asses to come and train in the facility and on his xxx acres of mountain land.

I'd like to go shoot and take a tour but it's pricey. Membership to the shooting club is 68K which surely qualifies as exclusive. I'm not even sure that gets you a humidor in the cigar lounge.

Edit: The Daily Show did a skit that's not too bad called Last Resort about this facility.

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being a Winnner is like playing with the cheat codes on.

Ouc, I cant see an image but I assume its just a stripped lower?       Buy a fire control group, which has the trigger, hammer, disconnector, safety, and the pins and springs. I like DPMS parts. S

I take it back. She's flippin' gorgeous!   http://i.imgur.com/f38kVtJ.jpg       Boooooo, I don't know the code to make that show up as a pic instead of a link.

The Razor with stainless casing cycled through really well. I have no idea if I'd be able to feel the difference between the 165g and 180g anyway. I'm going to shoot some more this weekend so I'll check out the MagTech 180 if the local gun store carries that brand. Once I find my preference, I'll be stocking up cause that's what I do. I'm not driving 3hrs round trip to get ammo like I did to get the gun.

Reloading always seemed like it would be such a pain in the dick. It's not that much cheaper even if you had all the equipment when you factor in cost of time and the materials are becoming more and more expensive. I think Beans mentioned somewhere it's more expensive to reload because you end up shooting way more which makes perfect sense. I'd still like to have the means to do it and a stockpile of supplies per the prepping thread but I just don't see myself making that investment anytime soon. I think it's pretty much a requirement if you have some of the more rare rifles though.

Yeah, I'd like to get a reloading station set up myself. Seems like a good way to fill some time. I've also heard it's fun once you get comfortable with it and can start experimenting with custom loads.

I pretty much have been shooting winchester for target ammo. I don't like putting really dirty/corrosive ammo through my pistol and with the really cheap stuff you see that more I think. winchester seems to be a decent compromosive. occassionally I'll pick up some reloads at a gun show or something to keep up supplies.

as far as 165 vs. 180. I happen to have an article on some balistics testing that was looking at "stopping power" that might help you make up your own mind. I'm pretty ambivalent for the most part, but I seem to enjoy shooting 165 a bit more when I'm shooting a lot of rounds. i think the recoil on the 180 is noticeably more.

the test fired 100 rds of numerous calibers into 10% ordinance gelatin. For his purposes of stopping power he is looking for a round that travels @ 1000 fps* with 13" penetration and expansion of 1.5 on average. It should be noted that he tried 17 different rounds and came up with an average of 1144, 13.7", and 1.69 respectively. But for our purposes, let's look at 2 different rounds from the same manufacturer.

remington 165 golden saber: 1117, 14.5, 1.68

remington 180 golden saber: 981, 14.0, 1.95

I don't know that the expansion factor is enough to overcome the greater velocity and penetration of the 165. I think this is one of those situations in shooting, and there are many, where it really comes down to subjective preference over objective data.

*he also mentioned that the velocity could vary around 100 fps from shot to shot fwiw.

Shotguns.....GO

I won't consider my collection complete until I own a SPAS-12. Had an opportunity to buy one a couple weeks ago, but yeah...didn't have $1600 to part with right that second.

Actually, probably could have just stopped with "I won't consider my collection complete".

Shotguns.....GO

I'm not going to be of much help here. I don't own one but have shot a few many years ago. If I was going to pick one up, it would be for home D. Some of the Mossberg 500s look suitable, if a little overdone with some (imho) bells and whistles I wouldn't be all that interested in. Basically, I'd be looking for a pump action with a barrel of 18.5" in 12 gauge. As I get older, I consider getting one more and more so I have to worry about aim less and less.

mossberg 590 tri rail is very likely going to be my next large purchase. mossbergs have a fairly good rep amongst hunters and this one looks really gnarly, even if hank is too cool for it.

mossberg 590 tri rail is very likely going to be my next large purchase. mossbergs have a fairly good rep amongst hunters and this one looks really gnarly, even if hank is too cool for it.

I just fail to see any real utility to a tactical rail on a pump shotgun, please enlighten me, I'm here to learnd. If I were to get one that was fancy schmancy it would probably be the one with the fore grip flashlight.

Shotguns beat the everloving feck out of rail accessories, you can just trust me on that. Too easily we forget that you're firing a .68 caliber projectile out the end of that thing.

Finally broke down and bought a read dot site for my M4. Only 40 bucks but no magnification. Mounted on the carry handle which I like because I can still use iron sites if I want to.

And speaking of looking cool, I also got this bad boy

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Sportsman-Tactical-Scenario-Black/dp/B002TUAHRK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3H7EARAL5R0R1&coliid=I2DAXCB8J5P1OR

I won't consider my collection complete until I own a SPAS-12. Had an opportunity to buy one a couple weeks ago, but yeah...didn't have $1600 to part with right that second.

Actually, probably could have just stopped with "I won't consider my collection complete".

I'll be bock

I'm not going to be of much help here. I don't own one but have shot a few many years ago. If I was going to pick one up, it would be for home D. Some of the Mossberg 500s look suitable, if a little overdone with some (imho) bells and whistles I wouldn't be all that interested in. Basically, I'd be looking for a pump action with a barrel of 18.5" in 12 gauge. As I get older, I consider getting one more and more so I have to worry about aim less and less.

Yeah, something like this but then what if you found out you liked to shoot the thing and blow up those pesky cantaloupes, milk jugs and maybe some clay pigeons?

Finally broke down and bought a read dot site for my M4. Only 40 bucks but no magnification. Mounted on the carry handle which I like because I can still use iron sites if I want to.

And speaking of looking cool, I also got this bad boy

http://www.amazon.co...=I2DAXCB8J5P1OR

Neat! I don't think I'd ever wear anything like that.

I just came up from a google rabbit hole that started with 'mounting red dot sight for m4'. That was fun. Now you have to go do some shooting. You'll have to sight this in, right?

This looks like it's made to be super versatile and it's really neat looking.

I'll be bock

Yeah, something like this but then what if you found out you liked to shoot the thing and blow up those pesky cantaloupes, milk jugs and maybe some clay pigeons?

Neat! I don't think I'd ever wear anything like that.

I just came up from a google rabbit hole that started with 'mounting red dot sight for m4'. That was fun. Now you have to go do some shooting. You'll have to sight this in, right?

I've recently been through that rabbit hole myself. Gonna play around with a laser bore sighter that I picked up which should at least get me in the neighborhood. Then take it to the range one of these weekends when it's not arctic temps which will probably mean March :(

Today called my local gun shop who has a small shop that will special order, buys/sells some used stuff and is a decent place to get ammo. He said he's had a lot of people coming in since last Friday looking for AR-15's and by closing time his wholesalers were out of every make and model they had. His wholesalers also ran out of all magazines too. bleh

Apparently just the threat of any gun control legislation has created a run on AR-15 type guns.

I called the largest gun dealer near me (75miles away) and they said it's pretty much all they've sold since Friday. They have 5 models in stock, will probably be out of stock by Saturday which is when I could drive up there, and can't order anything because the wholesalers are out of stock or they are holding what they to jack up the prices if a gun control law gets close.

I think I want this: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/75197

Buying a lower and upper separate is no longer possible with the run on this type of gun since Friday.

He said he's had a lot of people coming in since last Friday looking for AR-15's and by closing time his wholesalers were out of every make and model they had.

Those guys sure sound like a bunch of winners.

Shotguns.....GO

Did you pull the trigger yet? That turn of phrase is kind of Tilting. wah wah, so bad.

Is this available with a shorter barrel? Seems like 40" is a long gun to be clearing the house. You gonna trick it out?

Is this available with a shorter barrel? Seems like 40" is a long gun to be clearing the house. You gonna trick it out?

This is what I keep at home for "issues".

52340_1.jpg

Mossburg 500 Mariner.

How in the heck do you shoot that? Never tried to fire a pistol grip.

Do you use bird shot to wound, buck shot to harm badly/kill or a slug to blow off part of an invaders body?

How in the heck do you shoot that? Never tried to fire a pistol grip.

Do you use bird shot to wound, buck shot to harm badly/kill or a slug to blow off part of an invaders body?

No, I just load it with buckshot and deal with the fact that my wrists hurt after pulling the trigger. You hold it at waist level, trying to fire it at shoulder level is a great way to get kicked in the face.

Did you pull the trigger yet? That turn of phrase is kind of Tilting. wah wah, so bad.

I did, just got the ship confirmation yesterday (much quicker than I had anticipated). and yeah, it's a pretty long one, but I opted for highest capacity possible instead of maneuverability. those are more likely to be banned/better against zombies (more likely to use my pistol for home defense anyways). and yeah I already ordered a pistol grip and bandolier sling, and I already have a flashlight rail adapter for it. past that there's probably not a lot more to do. maybe one of those side holsters that hold another 6 rounds or something, but those are more expensive than they should be so I don't know.

Hank, Shake, Adam, Beans...trying to buy an AR 15 lower, nobody has them. Soonest delivery time I have been told is 3-6 months.

Help?

yep, private seller and be prepared to pay like $3k. I doubt any store has any more in stock. really your only hope at this point is that the house keeps any gun control bill from passing. and I don't think that's at all likely.