Official Firearms Thread

Wait...are you arguing that he lives in a decent suburb, you live in an area where the average whitey would be afraid to walk out the front door, yet the property value is higher in your neighborhood? I feel like this would break some kind of real estate law. Or maybe the laws of nature themselves.
We're comparing Chicago to Randomtown, Michigan here. The dynamics are totally different. There are safe places in Iowa where a house can be had for $30,000, yet some of the remaining dangerous places in Harlem sell for considerably more... He was making a shitty leap of logic by presuming that since his neighborhood in Michigan is safe and mine in Chicago is gritty, he's somehow in a better financial spot.
  • Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being a Winnner is like playing with the cheat codes on.

Ouc, I cant see an image but I assume its just a stripped lower?       Buy a fire control group, which has the trigger, hammer, disconnector, safety, and the pins and springs. I like DPMS parts. S

I take it back. She's flippin' gorgeous!   http://i.imgur.com/f38kVtJ.jpg       Boooooo, I don't know the code to make that show up as a pic instead of a link.

Again, why do you continue to argue that I don't feel people should defend themselves? Do you literally just makes this shit up for the fun of it? I have no issue with any person owning a gun for fun, hunting, safety, or all of the above. I respect it. It's your right. It's my right too. But I personally, YES PERSONALLY, have decided that prior to this point in my life and up to this minute, I have no need to get a gun for play, hunting, or safety. I am not at all telling anyone that they can't own a gun. My dad has guns, my father in law has guns, friends have guns, and I don't. They don't get their vagina all sandy over it so why are you?
It's possible that I jumped the gun, but as a grizzled veteran of this 'debate' the presence of A usually portends the presence of B.If you're really just a "I made a personal decision to not own a gun but I couldn't care less what you do" kinda guy, then OK. Whatever. The situation you described- rocks from an overpass and summary ambush is interesting to be sure, and a god-awful sort of 'worst case scenario'. Still, you'll find that very few people who advocate defensive firearm ownership believe that it is some sort of magical cure-all talisman that will favorably end all situations. What a firearm is is an option... There was an interesting article in a gun rag around 2004 that described a guy who was being held up outside his store... Three armed robbers got the drop on him and wound up lifting his bag of cash from the shop. The shopkeeper had a carry permit and was armed, but the situation was such that there was just no way he could employ his firearm without getting killed... So, he didn't. When they got the drop on ya, they got the drop on ya... Not even two weeks back, a cop here in Chicago, Thor Soderberg, was killed when some mentally diseased person ambushed him in the parking lot, snatched his gun and shot him in the head. There are situations where guns aggravate an otherwise shitty situation and if you don't have the requisite critical thinking skills to carry a gun yet decipher one situation from the other, fine. Personal decision for you to make. Plenty of others don't suffer from that impedance, though, so when you cite stuff like kids accidentally getting shot or your own anecdotes about getting robbed and how a gun would've been useless, it's going to raise hackles, since that's usually a precursor to a strain of logic that doesn't arrive at "but I don't care what you do".

I don't own a gun, think that fewer guns in the country would be a good thing, but that there is no way the government should have any ability to take them away.But recently an ex-employee who is down on his luck told me he wanted to hock some guns, and the thought of owning some hand guns that the government knows nothing about really appealed to me.It is possible that there may remotely be a felony or two attached he told me.This for some reason made them more interesting.But I will probably puss out

I don't own a gun, think that fewer guns in the country would be a good thing, but that there is no way the government should have any ability to take them away.But recently an ex-employee who is down on his luck told me he wanted to hock some guns, and the thought of owning some hand guns that the government knows nothing about really appealed to me.It is possible that there may remotely be a felony or two attached he told me.This for some reason made them more interesting.But I will probably puss out
You are seriously considering taking possession of guns with questionable histories which you presumably will never register?
It's possible that I jumped the gun, but as a grizzled veteran of this 'debate' the presence of A usually portends the presence of B.If you're really just a "I made a personal decision to not own a gun but I couldn't care less what you do" kinda guy, then OK. Whatever. The situation you described- rocks from an overpass and summary ambush is interesting to be sure, and a god-awful sort of 'worst case scenario'. Still, you'll find that very few people who advocate defensive firearm ownership believe that it is some sort of magical cure-all talisman that will favorably end all situations. What a firearm is is an option... There was an interesting article in a gun rag around 2004 that described a guy who was being held up outside his store... Three armed robbers got the drop on him and wound up lifting his bag of cash from the shop. The shopkeeper had a carry permit and was armed, but the situation was such that there was just no way he could employ his firearm without getting killed... So, he didn't. When they got the drop on ya, they got the drop on ya... Not even two weeks back, a cop here in Chicago, Thor Soderberg, was killed when some mentally diseased person ambushed him in the parking lot, snatched his gun and shot him in the head. There are situations where guns aggravate an otherwise shitty situation and if you don't have the requisite critical thinking skills to carry a gun yet decipher one situation from the other, fine. Personal decision for you to make. Plenty of others don't suffer from that impedance, though, so when you cite stuff like kids accidentally getting shot or your own anecdotes about getting robbed and how a gun would've been useless, it's going to raise hackles, since that's usually a precursor to a strain of logic that doesn't arrive at "but I don't care what you do".
If I had the time and money I would be like speedz and go out and get me a .22 clone. Probably the M4 Hank linked in another thread. My grandfather had guns and growing up he would take out on his "back 40" and let me shoot at targets and such. It was fun no question. But I don't have an overwhelming need for one. If I had $500 I would probably put it towards a guitar or amp or something. But, trust me when I say, I don't begrudge anyone who wants a gun for any reason other than I guess to commit a crime obv. Plus to be honest, I hate most people so I probably would have shot someone for a really bad reason at some point by now.
You are seriously considering taking possession of guns with questionable histories which you presumably will never register?
Just one gun...I mean it's not like I'm breaking a drug law or something
Anyone have experience with this one, or thoughts on Colts in general? I showed this link to a friend today who think that they make shitty guns and just coast on the brand name, but he might have just had one bad experience.Same question for the S&W M&P 15-22.

I have a Remington 7400 30-06 for hunting. It is too much of a gun for the kind of area I am hunting. How much should I be able to sell this gun for? It is in very good shape with a few minor scratches on the receiver. It has been fired probably less then 100 times. It is scoped but I will probably keep the scope for my next gun... which brings me to my next question..What are your thoughts on the Tikka T3? I have read some favorable reviews online but I have not talked to anyone that actually owns one. I held one at Bass Pro this week and I think I am in love.

I have a Remington 7400 30-06 for hunting. It is too much of a gun for the kind of area I am hunting. How much should I be able to sell this gun for? It is in very good shape with a few minor scratches on the receiver. It has been fired probably less then 100 times. It is scoped but I will probably keep the scope for my next gun... which brings me to my next question..What are your thoughts on the Tikka T3? I have read some favorable reviews online but I have not talked to anyone that actually owns one. I held one at Bass Pro this week and I think I am in love.
I don't know much about the 7400 but a quick google tells me they were discontinued in 2004. I would hang on to it for a few more years as you will probably be able to ask a bit higher price. Assuming the gun is worth a shit to begin with. Check gunbroker.com and you might be able to judge what the market is like for them.

Ok, class taken, application entered...the officer told me he's sure I'll get a full Class A (large capacity) LTC unrestricted (although I don't picture myself carrying a concealed weapon in public). Massachusetts has some pretty heavy laws...in my class the instructor kept prefacing comments with, "Remember, this is only in Mass." For example, I can't have a handgun with a clip carrying more than 10 cartridges unless it was made before February 1998, and I can't have a rifle with a clip carrying more than 10 cartridges unless it was made before September 1994 (ok, I forget the exact dates). Large capacity rifles are considered "assault weapons" and therefore illegal if they have any of three things that I forget at the moment...maybe an adjustable stock, a flash suppressor, or something else. Probably the same as the federal restrictions that aren't applicable anymore.Anyways, I should have about 4-6 weeks to torture myself about what to buy. I think I'm off the GSG-5, mostly because I'm not sure I want to buy an actual weapon from a company that usually makes airsoft guns. That leaves the Colt M4, which apparently is also manufactured by an airsoft company and Colt just licensed out their name (which may be good or bad depending on how one feels about Colts). The S&W M&P 15-22 is still an option, though I'm not crazy about the fact that it's made of all polymer...I guess the Colt is made mostly of an alloy and is noticably heavier, which I like. I don't know much about the sig 550 .22, which maybe should be on the list.Decisions, man. I've decided I'll buy a handgun as a graduation present to myself in 3 years.Edit: It's actually the Sig 522 and it's now in the lead.

Ok, class taken, application entered...the officer told me he's sure I'll get a full Class A (large capacity) LTC unrestricted (although I don't picture myself carrying a concealed weapon in public). Massachusetts has some pretty heavy laws...in my class the instructor kept prefacing comments with, "Remember, this is only in Mass." For example, I can't have a handgun with a clip carrying more than 10 cartridges unless it was made before February 1998, and I can't have a rifle with a clip carrying more than 10 cartridges unless it was made before September 1994 (ok, I forget the exact dates). Large capacity rifles are considered "assault weapons" and therefore illegal if they have any of three things that I forget at the moment...maybe an adjustable stock, a flash suppressor, or something else. Probably the same as the federal restrictions that aren't applicable anymore.Anyways, I should have about 4-6 weeks to torture myself about what to buy. I think I'm off the GSG-5, mostly because I'm not sure I want to buy an actual weapon from a company that usually makes airsoft guns. That leaves the Colt M4, which apparently is also manufactured by an airsoft company and Colt just licensed out their name (which may be good or bad depending on how one feels about Colts). The S&W M&P 15-22 is still an option, though I'm not crazy about the fact that it's made of all polymer...I guess the Colt is made mostly of an alloy and is noticably heavier, which I like. I don't know much about the sig 550 .22, which maybe should be on the list.Decisions, man. I've decided I'll buy a handgun as a graduation present to myself in 3 years.
I think that the Colt might be manufactured by Walther
So it's the Colt M4...designed by Umarex, manufactured by Walther? Quite the team effort.
wrap your brain around this: walthers in the U.S. are distributed by Smith & Wesson. at least the handguns are anyway.
wrap your brain around this: walthers in the U.S. are distributed by Smith & Wesson. at least the handguns are anyway.
When I first started getting into guns for carry, I thought that I had to have a PPK......then I shot one......and bought a Seecamp.LWSCherryPhone.jpg
When I first started getting into guns for carry, I thought that I had to have a PPK......then I shot one......and bought a Seecamp.LWSCherryPhone.jpg
My dad bought a ppk. Thing jammed every other shot and was just a horrible experience. Any more than 30 shots or so and it bruised his hand. He got lucky and the place he bought it from allowed him to return for full refund to be applied toward the purchase of a Beretta.

I had a PPKs. I called it the jam-O-matic. They are very temperamental about what ammo is used. If you like that James Bond look, then a good gunsmith can make them shoot great.

I had a PPKs. I called it the jam-O-matic. They are very temperamental about what ammo is used. If you like that James Bond look, then a good gunsmith can make them shoot great.
The jamming was one thing, but the thing is just so uncomfortable to shoot. I don't even have terribly large hands, it must be terrible for someone with big hands.
photo.jpgNot the best picture, but two of my favorite personal handguns. Ruger LCR 5 shot .38+P and my SIG P229 .40 S&W.
I shot a few rounds through Sig once and if I didn't have a Beretta .40 that would be my choice. I also like that hammerless .38, seems like it would be a good concealed carry gun.

Back in the day, my pocket guns were a KelTec P11, a AMT DA Backup .45 and a NAA .22 mag. The NAA was good to go right out of the box, the KelTec needed typical tuning to be 100%, the AMT DA Backup was a real ****ing bear to get reliable enough for carry- Ihad to detail strip the whole damn thing, burnish every bearing surface (including the rails) then chamfer the hell out of the chamber. Once the mechanicals were straight, I had to then get a heavier recoil spring and work hard on the mags (we're talking reforming the lips with heat, retempering, deburring... ugh) That gun took me a month of headaches and a few specialty tools to get right, but once it was running 100% (basically with Speer Lawman), it was a gem. Nothing like a .45 that fits in the palm of your hand... A ****ing brick, yes, but tiny...One of the most retarded-lucky shots I ever made was on an Armadillo with the NAA. It's basically a belly gun, but I took it with whenever I went fishing in case we caught something really big or needed it for whatever. So, there we were, fishing, drinking lots of beer and an Armadillo went walking by way down the shoreline, about 60 yards off... We snickered and exchanged a few dares... Aimed about 2' above its ear and god damn if I didn't drill the poor fucker... Always felt kinda guilty about that.

I shot a few rounds through Sig once and if I didn't have a Beretta .40 that would be my choice. I also like that hammerless .38, seems like it would be a good concealed carry gun.
It's great for front pocket carry, with the holster I bought for it the thing disappears into any jeans, pants or shorts I own. Only weighs like 15oz unloaded (not sure how much loaded but can't be that much more), compared to like 36oz unloaded for the SIG which is just completely unuseable for me as a CCW. That little LCR is LOUD though...I was shocked the first time I popped a few rounds off just how loud it is.
photo.jpgNot the best picture, but two of my favorite personal handguns. Ruger LCR 5 shot .38+P and my SIG P229 .40 S&W.
I love my 229.