okay, i play more live cash 1/3 NL cash games than online play (dont really like online) anyways what is everyones thoughts on a hand where you have position say 1 behind button and pick up AK and its a limped pot to you, obviously go with my standard raise and get a lets say 2 callers. how do you all play the hand if the flop is a rainbow and you dont hit the flop? do you bluff the pot of just instafold to any standard bets? im horrible in this position when sitting with A's high and will likely throw away AKo or suited to any bets.... is this wrong?

AK in a cash game is not much more than a drawing hand. If you face aggression on a low uncoordinated flop that misses your hand, you can usually let it go.Nice avatar.

okay, i play more live cash 1/3 NL cash games than online play (dont really like online) anyways what is everyones thoughts on a hand where you have position say 1 behind button and pick up AK and its a limped pot to you, obviously go with my standard raise and get a lets say 2 callers. how do you all play the hand if the flop is a rainbow and you dont hit the flop? do you bluff the pot of just instafold to any standard bets? im horrible in this position when sitting with A's high and will likely throw away AKo or suited to any bets.... is this wrong?
I like to get AK heads up, and I raise harder with it. Learn to flop a K on an uncoordinated board and you're fine. Even if you don't ... PRESSURE that flop with a c-bet. You'll come out way ahead in the long run by providing action.
1. AK in a cash game is not much more than a drawing hand. If you face aggression on a low uncoordinated flop that misses your hand, you can usually let it go.2. Nice avatar.
1. No. 2. Yes.
Did you see how Doyle played AK in the HSP game?Perfect.
Link?
This question is waaaaaaaaay too vague.
Pretty much.

Of course its vague, im looking for how you all would play an AKo in general with a rainbow flop pretty much! just thinking that if you have a standard raise to get ppl out and get it heads up with someone else and you miss the flop, how do you go about your play? wasted monies in the pot with a pre-flop raise that doesnt hit.... makes me sick

Of course its vague, im looking for how you all would play an AKo in general with a rainbow flop pretty much! just thinking that if you have a standard raise to get ppl out and get it heads up with someone else and you miss the flop, how do you go about your play? wasted monies in the pot with a pre-flop raise that doesnt hit.... makes me sick
The point is, if you have a "standard" play to such a vague scenario, it is either at best useless or more likely a significant leak.

From my experience, it all boils down to the coordination of the flop.as well as the players that limped/called. (specifically what are these players limping with?)from my experience, its either small pp's or suited anything or even those type of players that will limp/call with K-10+AJ.If checked around, I usually bet 50% of the time 3 way, and 90% of the time heads up.Just my 2 cents. and I agree with you I tend to enjoy live play vs. online.

It depends mostly on the tendencies of the villains. Are they loose or tight? Are they the kind who'll play set or forget with a small/mid-pair or will they call it down to the bitter end? Do they perceive you as loose or tight? Are they so short stacked that they're likely calling any bet with even the weakest hand/draw? Are your villains all limpers or did any cold-call? What's your position relative to the villains? How many villains are there?If you want a generic answer that you can modify to the specific situation then invent a generic situation.1/2 NL live full ring everyone has around 200 in front, it's your 4th hand and you're in the CO.3 limpers, you see AKo and raise to 12, B and blinds fold, 2 limpers call one folds.Flop 843r, checks to you.

new game, without a read, first hand. ak, raised preflop, missed flop. i typically c bet the flop and give it up on the turn if i dont hit. if anyone bets into me i give it up immediately.

Are they so short stacked that they're likely calling any bet with even the weakest hand/draw?
If I have AK vs a short stacker who's so short he's very committed, I don't mind calling an all in on a blank flop. Especially if he has a weak hand/weak draw.

it's always nice to be able to see your opponents cards when you're making a decision... since ya know, short stacks usually shove w/ nothing in cash games... totally standard play... something tells me you loose alot more doing this than you win... OP - auto shutting down when you brick the flop w/ ANYTHING you raised PF w/ is probably the most -EV play in poker... i'm not saying you cbet 100% of the time... i certainly dont... but i'd say it's a dam good idea to do it like @ least 50-75% of the time.... how do you expect to get paid when you have a hand? nobody's calling, it's obvious you've got it: you're betting... you shut down when you miss...vs even a low level thinker, you're play becomes transparent & exploitable... if you wanna get value on 3 streets w/ the flopped nuts, you're gonna have to be firing away both when you've got it & when you dont...

This answer to this question also depends on your image, especially the image of your opponents as well. If im in a situation where i raise AK pre and get only two callers, I'm only Cbetting if its a dry flop and i have a good read on my opponents, and if i have been playing fairly tight post flop where they would respect the 3/4 PSB more from me.

it's always nice to be able to see your opponents cards when you're making a decision... since ya know, short stacks usually shove w/ nothing in cash games... totally standard play... something tells me you loose alot more doing this than you win...
if he's short enough he's pot committed, are you not pot committed as well if it's down to you and him? and i was responding to the hypothetical "if he has a weak hand or weak draw"is this where i say something snarky now because it's the internetedit: oh i got it - "it's lose, not loose" ZING!

Some boards are better for a continuation bet than others. Q74 rainbow is better than 962 rainbow because we could have reasonably hit the queen.Consider the stack sizes, the styles of your opponents, your own reputation, and the positions of the players.

post above was really good, didnt even think about the leak in my game where if I have a hand and pop it to a raise and miss a flop and shut down, then it will be very exploited and your right, anyone can see thatback to the drawing board

Ok. What is the adjustment to people who will routinely call your c-bets, regardless of position because they know you won't bet the turn without a hand.If you aren't getting hands, and they keep calling your c-bets, how can you win?-Steve

Ok. What is the adjustment to people who will routinely call your c-bets, regardless of position because they know you won't bet the turn without a hand.If you aren't getting hands, and they keep calling your c-bets, how can you win?-Steve
You must be running bad at the moment. I feel your pain.If you know that they know that you won't fire two barrels without a hand, start firing two barrels without a hand sometimes. And tighten up against people who routinely call you down.Examine the board and try to put them on a hand, consider their previous actions and calls, and attempt to put a story together for each hand and determine what they are calling you down with. Oh, and making more hands helps too.
1. Ok. What is the adjustment to people who will routinely call ...?2. If you aren't getting hands, and they keep calling your c-bets, how can you win?
1. Are you kidding? 2. Then you have to wait. Poker is a game of adjustments. After I've sat for an hour at any live table, I can tell you my strategies are completely different for every single player at the table. Every single one. I suck online. I crush live. Live poker is a people game.
1. Are you kidding? 2. Then you have to wait. Poker is a game of adjustments. After I've sat for an hour at any live table, I can tell you my strategies are completely different for every single player at the table. Every single one. I suck online. I crush live. Live poker is a people game.
makes you a tad predictable, eh?That is the root of the problem; we know their bad play of calling extremely thin on a near consistant basis will cost them money, but it takes ability to win pots with marginal hands out of possiblity. Unless we want to fire a second barrel with air routinely...Also, please keep the responses in context to what I said.
1. makes you a tad predictable, eh?2. That is the root of the problem; we know their bad play of calling extremely thin on a near consistant basis will cost them money, but it takes ability to win pots with marginal hands out of possiblity. Unless we want to fire a second barrel with air routinely...3. Also, please keep the responses in context to what I said.
1. Not really. A calling station is a calling station all day long. Seriously. 2. Against a calling station, you need showdown value. If you don't have it, you can't play them.3. No.