tuan le, varkonyi, moneymaker, raymer, huck seed, gu

I'm no psychologist, but there's a really interesting pattern here. All of these guys have been accused of sucking, right here on this forum. When was the last time the RUNNER UP of a major tournament sucked? Oh wait, THEY'RE always good; it's just the guy who actually wins who got lucky/sucks. I'm sure it's just a coincidence. But maybe it's worth thinking about.

amen.but your title cut off after the letters "Gu", not sure who that is?aseemedit: nevermind. gus hansen.

only person on that list i dont like is moneymaker.. i think the rest are talented poker players........ esp gus hansen.. i like his agressive style
Watched Gus Hansen in a qualifier for the British Poker Open last night. After raising with junk all night (as he does) he gets dealt A K off suit, and raises with this also. Roy Brindley calls with Q 8 off suit.Flop:A K 7 rainbow.Roy Brindley then moves all in. Gus comments that unless he has three sevens he is in a world of pain before calling.Turn:QRoy Brindley now claims he has five outs. Gus laughs and asks the dealer to "please give the man an 8".River:8I laughed for about three hours after that.
only person on that list i dont like is moneymaker.. i think the rest are talented poker players........ esp gus hansen.. i like his agressive style
Watched Gus Hansen in a qualifier for the British Poker Open last night. After raising with junk all night (as he does) he gets dealt A K off suit, and raises with this also. Roy Brindley calls with Q 8 off suit.Flop:A K 7 rainbow.Roy Brindley then moves all in. Gus comments that unless he has three sevens he is in a world of pain before calling.Turn:QRoy Brindley now claims he has five outs. Gus laughs and asks the dealer to "please give the man an 8".River:8I laughed for about three hours after that.
Now thats funny right there.. haha.... if you are agressive like that u hit that big hand and just get paid...
Not sure why its funny please tell me i want to laugh with you

I just laugh when people say Gus is just a lucky player. All the guys on your list are talented IMO with the exception of Varkonyi. I wouldn't put Moneymaker anywhere near Gus but he still has some talent. But it's just funny to hear people say they got lucky, of course they did. It's the only way to win, you have to win a few pots as an underdog.

"Not sure why its funny please tell me i want to laugh with you"B/C he only had 2 outs (2 remaining Qs), I guess he thought the other 3 8s would help him.....lolThat's classic.

great stories like this only make you fear gus even more.kudos to him and his style... and god bless everyone out there that attempts to play like him (and winds up at my table).

When was the last time the RUNNER UP of a major tournament sucked? Oh wait, THEY'RE always good; it's just the guy who actually wins who got lucky/sucksI would never say he sucks because I think he is talented just like eveyone else on your list with the exception of Varkoni. But, David Williams got pretty damn lucky to get to 2nd. I remember him being all in a couple of times as a dog and catching a miracle.

Yeah, of course. My purpose in this thread was just to point out the venom that gets directed at players who win big events. this is the FIRST time I've ever heard anyone say DAvid William "sucked," but if we'd won... who knows?

You can't survive a 5 day (or whatever) poker tournament without being both lucky and skilled. I hate it when my friends say that Moneymaker isn't that good and just got lucky. I got $10 that says he cleans up our homegame...

Varkoyi probably better than Tuan Le.....That is the sad reality.Mentioning Gus Hansen and Huck Seed with those guys is an insult.
That's absolutely ridiculous. Varkoni went on a hugh rush and hit every hand for one tournament, and hasn't been heard from since. Tuan Le had already had some success before winning two hugh tourneys.
Varkoyi probably better than Tuan Le.....That is the sad reality.Mentioning Gus Hansen and Huck Seed with those guys is an insult.
That's absolutely ridiculous. Varkoni went on a hugh rush and hit every hand for one tournament, and hasn't been heard from since. Tuan Le had already had some success before winning two hugh tourneys.
There the same guy.....Tuan Le hit every card there was to hit....at least Varkonyi played position perfectly at the final table in the WSOP. Tuan Le just...well....sucks.
There the same guy.....Tuan Le hit every card there was to hit....at least Varkonyi played position perfectly at the final table in the WSOP. Tuan Le just...well....sucks.
yea, he really sucks. sucks like a $4m check.
Also, they were rigged up to heart monitors. Gus tried a big bluff on Devilfish, and whilst he was deciding whether to call or not they checked Gus' heart rate. 56 beats per minute. The guy is immense.
And Makavelli looks at what has become of his post, and sadly he thinks to himself, My point point has been lost...
i feel your pain. :club: aseem
who is saying raymer sucks?that would be an absurd comment.Raymer is a very good player.
are you kidding? plenty of idiots think raymer is a lucky amateur who sucks at poker.it's no different with raymer, tuan, gus (previously at least), moneymaker, etc.aseem
who is saying raymer sucks?that would be an absurd comment.Raymer is a very good player.
are you kidding? plenty of idiots think raymer is a lucky amateur who sucks at poker.it's no different with raymer, tuan, gus (previously at least), moneymaker, etc.aseem
Yeah I heard alot of people saying Raymer sucked because he went all in and was in a bunch or race situations. Of course they don't care that he was only risking 75K of his 3.2M stack to knock a player out. Watch him on PStars, the railbirds are ridiculous.