A Religious Quandry

In terms of believing in God, there are three options: you do, you don't, or you aren't sure.In terms of what you think of God's intentions, there are many options: he loves you, he's indifferent, he's out to get you, he's running a very complex social experiment, he created us for a science fair at god school, he forgot we existed but will destroy us once he remembers and sees what we're like, etc.So it's worse to think that he's out to get you, since there are so many more options and therefore a greater chance of being incorrect.

In terms of believing in God, there are three options: you do, you don't, or you aren't sure.In terms of what you think of God's intentions, there are many options: he loves you, he's indifferent, he's out to get you, he's running a very complex social experiment, he created us for a science fair at god school, he forgot we existed but will destroy us once he remembers and sees what we're like, etc.So it's worse to think that he's out to get you, since there are so many more options and therefore a greater chance of being incorrect.
well played
I may not always love you..But as long as there are, stars above youyou never need to doubt it.. I'm make you so.. sure about itGod only knows what I'd be without you
It really makes my day to see that someone else out there can quote Brian Wilson lyrics....and in context....nh..Jayray
Which is worse: not believing in God or believing that he exists and is out to get you?
Believing that he is out to get you, because you would know best. It could be your inner self realizing you are at odds with your maker. Heed the warning. Speaking of that, last night I was feeling a bit flu like, sore all over, etc., so I took 3 Ibuprofen and downed about a 1/4 of a bottle of Nighttime tylenol cold and cough, but the off brand because it is stronger. I was ****ed up- I even woke up at one point yelling,night terrors style. It felt awesome. I should do that again.
nah brian didn't write those lyrics just the music
I won't even argue...I am just so impressed that you know who Brian Wilson and Tony Asher are....props to you...
I won't even argue...I am just so impressed that you know who Brian Wilson and Tony Asher are....props to you...
huge fan of brian but it bothers me that everyone orgasms over van dyke parks when the lyrics to pet sounds are so beautiful

I saw Brian Wilson open for Paul Simon a few years back. Drugs have not been kind to him. Looked like he had to wake up to sing each verse. He fell over twice on stage while doing nothing but standing there.

I saw Brian Wilson open for Paul Simon a few years back. Drugs have not been kind to him. Looked like he had to wake up to sing each verse. He fell over twice on stage while doing nothing but standing there.
Yeah, for a mega-rich superstar....that guy has had a rough way to go in life......pumped out some great music though....
huge fan of brian but it bothers me that everyone orgasms over van dyke parks when the lyrics to pet sounds are so beautiful
One of the best albums ever made......no question...
Which is worse: not believing in God or believing that he exists and is out to get you?
Belief in God is the ultimate form of paranoia - that your life is being judged by some sort of cosmic dictator who will tot up the good and bad things you do and 'reward' or 'punish' you accordingly. Obviously that is worse than not believing in God, which is after all just a sensible response to the fact there is not the slightest evidence or reason to think such a being exists.
Not believing in God only has ramifications if such a being exists. Option #2 guarantees that such a being exists and that (in his all powerfulness) wants only for you to experience pain and suffering. Option #1 gives us a 50/50 (although realistically 70/30 at best) whether God exists and in turn whether we suffer.As gambling men and women (as I'm sure you all are on this fine forum) option #2 is clearly the worst answer as it 100% guarantees a life of maleficence and f@edupery.Option #1 at least gives us a chance at content.

You can put odds on anything.If for the sake of argument there is no knowledge that either proves nor denies the existence of God, then believing in him is a coin flip.The difference between Option #1 and 2 is that #2 guarantees that the God you believe in is the cause of all your ills. Not believing in God has no repercussions unless of course you die and end up in Hell.So live your whole life in fear for choosing one side, or choose the other and possibly suffer when you die.