Paul Martin Is To Thank

cheers to paul martin for a great dollar ~this blue is for you :club:
The Canadian dollar isn't particularly strong. It's more than the American dollar is significantly weakened.I haven't actually looked it up, but the financial professionals in my life have mentioned that we haven't changed vs other stronger currencies (ie the Euro, and something in Asia, I don't quite recall.)Either way, the strong dollar sucks balls for Canada as a whole. As a net exporter, and with the US as our primary trade partner, the cost of our goods has risen significantly with the decrease of the US dollar.Meanwhile, it sucks balls for me, because I make all my money in American, and pay for everything in Canadian.:D

What always sort of cracked me up was ignorance over the "68 cent dollar". Where everyone in Canada would quote their wage or some price in "Dollars" and then compare it to US$ as if that meant something just because the Currencies shared a name.

What always sort of cracked me up was ignorance over the "68 cent dollar". Where everyone in Canada would quote their wage or some price in "Dollars" and then compare it to US$ as if that meant something just because the Currencies shared a name.
I don't recall that specifically happening...Was it in publications where they'd want to be compared to American jobs of the same type or something?I'm certain it would have been for comparative purposes, in one way or another.
I don't recall that specifically happening...Was it in publications where they'd want to be compared to American jobs of the same type or something?I'm certain it would have been for comparative purposes, in one way or another.
No, no. Individuals would do this.
cheers to paul martin for a great dollar ~this blue is for you :club:
LOL. The US dollar is weak.Your dollar isn't particularly "strong" at all.fig3-6-en.gif(I am actually stoked about a weak dollar. This should bode well for what little manufacturing we have left)

Well, the Canadian dollar is on an upward trend vs the pound and euro (which are mislabelled on the graph above) and currently sits just over 0.5 GBP and at about 0.725 Euro, so the CAD is relatively strong. That's not likely to last long term with the weak US dollar though, Canada depends heavily on cross border trade. Not sure exactly why Paul Martin is getting credit, he hasn't been finance minister for a while and the dollar is still fine.

2 main reasons the cnd dollar is so high vs. the us dollar is that the us dollar has been trending weaker against most currencies, and the high price of oil.the head guy at the bank of canada just recently said that our high dollar vs. the us is not representative of strong economic fundamentals in canada, that its increase has been stronger than what should be expected.http://www.thestar.com/columnists/article/271390

Until you switch from liters to gallons for gas you will always trail the US.Took me a calculator to figure how much you guys paid for gas back in the 90's when I drove through half your country.Hint: It was a lot

Daniel here are some golf tips. This will help.First off I am a 7 handicap who never had a lesson in his life. One big key to hitting the ball good is being able to hit it bad. Meaning you have to know how to slice and hook the ball if you want to hit it straight. You can hit the ball good when you know how not to hit the ball. Practice slicing and hooking the ball on purpose. This will give you the feel of a swing. Then you can just get into the middle of those swings and you will be fine. For slicing have an open stance and come inside out across the ball. For hooking have a closed stance and come over the top of the ball. Once you can do those when you want you will know what it takes to make a good swing. Keep your swing as simple as possible. Don't think too much about things when hitting the ball.Also for scoring, practice as much on chipping and putting as you do on the range.

LOL. The US dollar is weak.Your dollar isn't particularly "strong" at all.fig3-6-en.gif(I am actually stoked about a weak dollar. This should bode well for what little manufacturing we have left)
Some times you really suprise me with your nuggets of knowledge. This is the reason the dollar has weakened, we are sending our money all over the world becasuse it has been historically cheaper for us to manufacture and have lower wages in other countires.DN hit the nail on the head with his comment about the movie industry going north to film, unless there is a specific location they want to shoot at, this will almost die with weakend USD in canada. Hopefully we can bring some more blue collar work into this country, it still is not going to replace sweat shops that make shoes for $.60 a day, but auto manufacturing and electronics manufacturing may see an increase here especially if we can give some tax breaks as incentive.

George W Bush and China's appetite for commodities have more to do with are dollar than Paul Martin. I will give him credit for being the first finance minister in along time to balance a federal budget. But since he left we still havent gone back to the days of huge defeceits. He was probally more just a beneficiary of timing.

George W Bush and China's appetite for commodities have more to do with are dollar than Paul Martin. I will give him credit for being the first finance minister in along time to balance a federal budget. But since he left we still havent gone back to the days of huge defeceits. He was probally more just a beneficiary of timing.
Probably true of 95% of all politicians.
Yes, yes and yes.OP is on crack if he truly thinks Paul Martin had anything to do with the growth of the global economy, the rise of China and their incredible demand for our resources, increasing oil prices etc etc. He didn't balance the budget, growing tax revenues balanced it by itself. Giving him any credit would be like giving an Alberta premier credit for the oil in the ground and our annual multi-billion dollar surpluses.

I think its more of the collapse of the US dollar. The housing in the US is really hurting wich in turn keeps interest rates falling, while our housing market is booming which keeps interest rates rising.

Some times you really suprise me with your nuggets of knowledge. This is the reason the dollar has weakened, we are sending our money all over the world becasuse it has been historically cheaper for us to manufacture and have lower wages in other countires.DN hit the nail on the head with his comment about the movie industry going north to film, unless there is a specific location they want to shoot at, this will almost die with weakend USD in canada. Hopefully we can bring some more blue collar work into this country, it still is not going to replace sweat shops that make shoes for $.60 a day, but auto manufacturing and electronics manufacturing may see an increase here especially if we can give some tax breaks as incentive.
It is funny that in the same post DN thinks it's bad fiscal policy for the US to have a weaker dollar, but then laments the movie industry in Toronto suffering because of the weaker dollar (Guess what, the studios in Vancouver have closed up shop too). So the US needs to have a stronger dollar so we can send jobs back to Canada??? I don't think so. The weaker dollar creates more demand for our goods worldwide. Everything we make is cheaper. Would you rather have a Boeing 777 or an Airbus A350 if the 777 is $30 million cheaper due to currency exchange? Guess what might be the next casualty of the weaker dollar? Ever see all those automotive mfg plants that went to Ontario because of the 30% discount? There is no longer a need to put up with border problems when it is now more expensive to be in Canada. That's terrible, maybe those plants will come back to Michigan or Ohio now. Terrible economic policy, according to DN anyway.Also, US border cities are very much enjoying the influx of Canadians wanting to spend money, as goods are so much cheaper than buying the same thing in Canada. Bombardier (Canadian company) had to make it's US dealers stop selling to Canadians, because it would take business away from it's Canadian dealers. It's terrible ecomonic policy for the US, with all these Canadians coming to the US wanting to spend money. What should we do with all the Canadian dollars spent in the US now.So I guess what we need to learn from Danial's blog is that the US needs a better fiscal policy so we can send more jobs to foreign countries like Canada. And make it more economically feasible for foreigners to come to the US and make money and send it back to their home country.I don't think so.

It was the not the intentional policy of the US government to have a weak dollar; it's merely the confluence of various factors that has caused it.There are economic benefits to having a strong currency, and there are economic benefits to having a weak one. A weak currency does not lead to prosperity. In the long run, the most prosperous nations have the strongest currencies and the highest labour costs (i.e. rich countries have wealthy people who earn lots of money), so long-term weakness in a currency is a sign that something is wrong.I don't think this is going to be a long-term thing - within five years the US dollar will bounce back to more reasonable levels.

2 main reasons the cnd dollar is so high vs. the us dollar is that the us dollar has been trending weaker against most currencies, and the high price of oil. snip
These aren't reasons, rather they are observations and correlations. Lol...You know the price of oil is denominated in US$ and that is not a trivial point, ask the Europeans...

Sheesh it got over $1.10 today. Sawmills around B.C. are starting to shut down so imagine its gonna get pretty bad in manufacturing for this country. I see a recesion coming in a hurry. Just hope China keeps growing and can pick up some of the slack for are resources.

• 11 months later...
Until you switch from liters to gallons for gas you will always trail the US.Took me a calculator to figure how much you guys paid for gas back in the 90's when I drove through half your country.Hint: It was a lot
Rob: that's why I go across the border to get my gas lol, it's 4 liters = 1 gallon of your gas, even with the exchange on the dollar I still come out ahead. At noon time our dollar was at 0.8220.As for Paul Martin he was the best person for balancing the budget for this country. but we know the Cons have been in power for the last 4 yearsAs far as the ecomony goes the trend has always been, what ever the USA goes though the rest of the world feels it and follows