The Well: Looshle

Ok, so if you are unfamiliar with a well, basically it's a thread where players answer questions from us about their poker history, experiences and anything else they are knowledgeable about. It's a great way to learn from the people who have already accomplished a lot in the poker world. If you are unfamiliar with Looshle, his name is Justin Pechie and he has a number of big scores in 10k events as well as a lot of success online in both tourneys and cash games. He is probably one of the more underrated players on this site since he doesn't post a ton, but beleive me when I say he is one of the top 5 poker players on FCP. Ok, that being said, let's get it started. Just ask questions in here and he'll answer as the thread progresses.Looshle:What would you say is the most important aspect of being a successful "pro"? Could be anything in terms of money management, br management, game selection etc. What would you say are some of the transitions internet players need to make to be successful in WPTs, WSOP, and other big live events?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your schedule like? Do you travel the circuit? Play mostly online? How much tourney vs cash do you play? Give some info on the lifestyle you lead.Thanks and congrats on your success.Mark

What is your schedule like? Do you travel the circuit? Play mostly online? How much tourney vs cash do you play? Give some info on the lifestyle you lead.Thanks and congrats on your success.Mark

awsome topici respect your game and know you are a sik tourny player, And im trying to become one myself and actully "trying" latley instead of just playing for time consumption so my qeustion is what are the 3 best tips/advice to winning in mid-high stakes online mtts..?

What are the most important differences/changes that you have to make when you switch gears from MTTs to cash to sng's, or any combination thereof. How can you go from one to the other without there being a period of getting back into the feel of whatever it is you're playing now as opposed to what you were playing/have been playing more of lately.

How do you come up with your screename and how should we pronounce it?Have you ever been broke before?And is GrinderMJ goin to/already done one of these?

What was your opinion on the level of play in that circuit event at Ceaser's in Vegas you took second in? Did you hear many grumblings about the decision not to make them TV events anymore?Whats the strangest request/stipulation Harrahs makes for FT participants that we might not know about?What was the feeling the first time you were in a "big money" event and you saw a dozen page rail thread on FCP with half of the free world cheering you on? What does that compare to?And, of course, how would you advise a friend to play KJ against Brandon Cantu?

plskthx
Ok, so if you are unfamiliar with a well, basically it's a thread where players answer questions from us about their poker history, experiences and anything else they are knowledgeable about. It's a great way to learn from the people who have already accomplished a lot in the poker world. If you are unfamiliar with Looshle, his name is Justin Pechie and he has a number of big scores in 10k events as well as a lot of success online in both tourneys and cash games. He is probably one of the more underrated players on this site since he doesn't post a ton, but beleive me when I say he is one of the top 5 poker players on FCP. Ok, that being said, let's get it started. Just ask questions in here and he'll answer as the thread progresses.Looshle:What would you say is the most important aspect of being a successful "pro"? Could be anything in terms of money management, br management, game selection etc. What would you say are some of the transitions internet players need to make to be successful in WPTs, WSOP, and other big live events?
I think the best way to be successful is to make sure you are in the mood to play, and to have 100% focus. You shouldn't be tired or playing in a poor game just to chase money you're currently stuck. I've forced myself to play alot when I was either not in the mood to play or just tried to get even and it's cost me a lot of money over the past 2-3 years. Also you shouldn't be looking to gamble when you are playing for a living. Gambling = taking the worst of a bet and will cost you money down the road such as calling it off with a flush draw getting less 2-1 on the flopLive events are easier for me than tourneys online bc a) I think i read people physically pretty well and B) you have alot of time/chips to work with. A lot of internet pros/players come into these big events and play a lot more hands and much more aggressively than they should be. They think they have to be making great plays and get into too many marginal situations while their opponents are making huge errors in key pots. Deep stack tournaments are more about playing solidly than trying to outplay the entire table and become the next young poker superstar.
at what point in your poker career/life did you realize you wanted to become a full time player?
I was working at a grocery store and going to a community college part time. I'd be playing 30-50 sngs and making $100 before going into work to make $60 in twice that amount of time. I eventually quit and started playing online and going to school when I eventually realized I had no idea what I was going to school for and no clue what I wanted to do with my life, so I said screw it and dropped out/ didnt signup for the next semester and started playing online or at foxwoods 5-6 days a week. I was still living at home and could have easily gone right back to school if I needed to.

im looking at a banner at the top of the FCP page that reads "things you never knew existed" and i thought it was apt for this post until loosh actually responded

I had been traveling to just about every stop I could but after Borgata, I decided to take a break until Foxwoods. I've cashed the last 2 WPTs but not the results I was looking for and wanted to take time off and let the frustration run its course.I didn't really play much online while traveling just because I had been trying to play every tournament I could. The World Series wore me out and right now I'm kinda of sick of tournaments. I'm currently in AZ spending time w/ the GF playing online cash on Bodog 3-4 hours a day. I'm working on replenishing my BR to where I think it should be but isn't due to non poker leaks.