Flopped Set, Coordinated Board.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)MP3 ($4.92)CO ($9.39)Button ($4.98)SB ($5.80)BB ($8.19)Hero ($17.21)UTG+1 ($9.75)MP1 ($14.21)MP2 ($15.85)Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9diamond.gif, 9club.gif. Hero raises to $0.3, 6 folds, SB raises to $0.55, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.25.Flop: ($1.15) 8spade.gif, 9heart.gif, 2spade.gif(2 players)SB bets $0.2, Hero raises to $1, SB calls $0.80.Turn: ($3.15) 6spade.gif(2 players)SB checks, Hero bets $2, SB calls $2.River: ($7.15) 2heart.gif(2 players)SB bets $2.25 (All-In), Hero calls $2.25.Final Pot: $11.65Input welcome at all stages.

Pretty standard. Maybe raise a little more on the flop and bet the turn a bit harder? I see no problem with the hand.
Even though I played the hand pretty standard I felt it was difficult to play. I did not feel in control of the hand after the 6 of spades fell but it is very difficult to put him on any kind of hand. I had no idea what the weak flop bet meant and obviously when I called PF I was sort of expecting something in the range of AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, AK, AQ.Also, even though the only holding that has me beat on this board is 22 when he shoved on the river I couldn't help thinking, "What the hell?"Do you have any advice about how to play in these spots where you just can't place the villain on anything? Is this when I have to fall back on solid fundamentals in order to play the hand well?
Even though I played the hand pretty standard I felt it was difficult to play. I did not feel in control of the hand after the 6 of spades fell but it is very difficult to put him on any kind of hand. I had no idea what the weak flop bet meant and obviously when I called PF I was sort of expecting something in the range of AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, AK, AQ.Also, even though the only holding that has me beat on this board is 22 when he shoved on the river I couldn't help thinking, "What the hell?"Do you have any advice about how to play in these spots where you just can't place the villain on anything? Is this when I have to fall back on solid fundamentals in order to play the hand well?
You need to understand how strong your hand is here on the flop. Firstly, under no circumstances are you ever ever going to fold here. If it even crosses your mind quit poker immediately.Now that you have established you are going all the way you want to get as much value out of the hand as possible. He has a spade draw extremely rarely, as you said, most of his range is made up of big pairs and high cards. I agree that his line is a little strange here but you are ahead like 99% of the time, just examine his stack size on the flop and start thinking about how you can size your bets to get it all in by the river.
You need to understand how strong your hand is here on the flop. Firstly, under no circumstances are you ever ever going to fold here. If it even crosses your mind quit poker immediately.Now that you have established you are going all the way you want to get as much value out of the hand as possible. He has a spade draw extremely rarely, as you said, most of his range is made up of big pairs and high cards. I agree that his line is a little strange here but you are ahead like 99% of the time, just examine his stack size on the flop and start thinking about how you can size your bets to get it all in by the river.
I agree with this 100%, especially the part about sizing your bets. So I guess I agree with it 120%.
It never crossed my mind to fold this hand but on the turn I did think "I hate this card but if he shoves this bet I am calling."Still, you are right that I need to get him committed by the river and that is what I need to worry about, rather than cards that aren't likely to have improved his hand in any significant way anyway.As it happened, he shoved the river (god knows why) and I of course called, he showed AK off suit. He didn't rebuy, so that says it all really.
I might shove the turn with the stack sizes as such.
I don't think he is committed enough to call at these stakes. Players will put 3/4 of their stack in playing a ridiculously strong line and then fold to a river bet.

If that guy had any kind of sense he would have folded to your raise on the flop which his bet looked like a feeler bet to me. Kind of a strange play on his part. Otherwise, I don't see any problem with how the hand was played on your part. I probably would've bet around $2.60 or so on the turn though. Otherwise, looks like a solid victory.

I don't think he is committed enough to call at these stakes. Players will put 3/4 of their stack in playing a ridiculously strong line and then fold to a river bet.
Right, so get him to put it in now while he thinks he's drawing.It's only $1 or so more than a PSB.
Also, even though the only holding that has me beat on this board is 22 when he shoved on the river I couldn't help thinking, "What the hell?"
Um, get used to the feeling?
I might shove the turn with the stack sizes as such.
Yeah.
I don't think OP ever considered folding. I think what he was trying to get accross was his utter surprise/confusion of where villian was, even though OP beat 99.4999999999999999% of villian's range.
FYP