vegas tables easier?

I play in the card rooms around seattle and i've noticed that most players at the 3-6 and 4-8 games have a decent grasp on the game. Not that they're great, but they're not usually idiots. Moving to the 8-16 and 10-20 games, the players are much better, as can be expected. There is still money to be made, as players are usually either too loose or too tight. Anyways, when I went to Vegas and played in the 4-8 at Bellagio, I noticed that about half the table had pretty much no clue what they were doing. From what I've heard on this forum, the same sounds true of most card rooms in Vegas. It makes sense, since people in Vegas are usually on vacation and trying different types of gambling out, while players in seattle card rooms are not necessarily in that mindset. My conclusion, if you're picking a place to take down fish , do it in Vegas baby. People are there expecting to lose money!

My conclusion, if you're picking a place to take down fish , do it in Vegas baby. People are there expecting to lose money!
yeah, i really don't think when people are considering a trip to go play poker that they are torn between vegas and seattle."i really want to go to vegas since i haven't been in years and with the wynn opening and everything. but damn, seattle is looking sweet, well with the constant rain and highest suicide rate in the country. come on honey, we're off to seattle!"
My conclusion, if you're picking a place to take down fish , do it in Vegas baby. People are there expecting to lose money!
yeah, i really don't think when people are considering a trip to go play poker that they are torn between vegas and seattle."i really want to go to vegas since i haven't been in years and with the wynn opening and everything. but damn, seattle is looking sweet, well with the constant rain and highest suicide rate in the country. come on honey, we're off to seattle!"
thank you for staying in California...but really, you missed my point. It's not the fact that it's Seattle. It could be California, North Dakota, Hawaii, wherever... What I was really trying to say was that you can make a decent living feeding off fish in Vegas pretty easily, while playing almost anywhere else it will be more difficult.
thank you for staying in California...but really, you missed my point. It's not the fact that it's Seattle. It could be California, North Dakota, Hawaii, wherever... What I was really trying to say was that you can make a decent living feeding off fish in Vegas pretty easily, while playing almost anywhere else it will be more difficult.
:club: I think he got your point exactly.
yeah, i'm still going to disagree.i've played poker all over the country from foxwoods, atlantic city, florida (ugh), mississippi, chicago, seattle (yes, i've played there), and all over california.i have to say, the cardrooms here in northern california are the loosest games i've seen anywhere. there is just tons and tons of old retired people here with tons of money that spend all day playing poker, most notably, playing every hand.this is the main reason i moved here instead of vegas. not to mention having to wait 2 hours to get seated anywhere decent in vegas.

actually my point was that half the people at the smaller limit tables in vegas didn't make the trip to play poker, they made the trip for one of millions of other reasons. People at poker tables elsewhere made the trip to play poker. In Seattle for example, there are very few out of towners at the poker tables.

yeah, i'm still going to disagree.i've played poker all over the country from foxwoods, atlantic city, florida (ugh), mississippi, chicago, seattle (yes, i've played there), and all over california.i have to say, the cardrooms here in northern california are the loosest games i've seen anywhere. there is just tons and tons of old retired people here with tons of money that spend all day playing poker, most notably, playing every hand.this is the main reason i moved here instead of vegas. not to mention having to wait 2 hours to get seated anywhere decent in vegas.
Point taken. very interesting. I'll have to check out Northern Cali!
What I was really trying to say was that you can make a decent living feeding off fish in Vegas pretty easily, while playing almost anywhere else it will be more difficult.
Possibly, but I think the rake is a little harder to overcome in Las Vegas because most poker rooms will break down the rake into .25 cent increments. Where as places like California, and many other card rooms in the U.S. (maybe even Seattle?) use the nearest dollar without going over.So, if it was a 5% rake with $4 max, and the pot was $65, California clubs would take $3, but in Las Vegas they'd take $3.25, which doesn't seem like much. But if you pay an extra .25 cents in rake each time and can get in 45 hands an hour that means $11.25 less each hour playing at a Vegas table vs. a table in LA for instance.So, the real question is: Are the card rooms in Las Vegas fishy enough to overcome that extra bit of rake?
actually my point was that half the people at the smaller limit tables in vegas didn't make the trip to play poker, they made the trip for one of millions of other reasons. People at poker tables elsewhere made the trip to play poker. In Seattle for example, there are very few out of towners at the poker tables.
this, i will agree with you on.but, more and more people are going to vegas specifically for poker now-a-days. and if they've played in california, they're usually disappointed. there just aren't enough poker tables in vegas to go around. its a shame the wynn will only have 27 tables. i will never understand the thinking behind that unless they figured they couldn't turn enough of a profit to justify a bigger room.anyone know how many tables the bellagio will have now after their expansion is finished?

The problem with you whole theory is it's next to impossible to make a living playing $4-8 live. As for Vegas games, if you are willing to wait for hours to get a seat, yeap it's probably one of the best places to win easy tourist money on weekends thru Monday. Same with AC and Foxwoods, but as was pointed out, if you play all week in Northern CA and/or parts of Arizona, you run into some true calling stations all week long. In other words, if poker is a second income and you already live there, N. CA and Az are a good deal.Another fact of Vegas is the $4-8 pros often would rather 4 table online, which also makes the competition live even easier.

The $4-8 game at the Bellagio is a complete anomoly in my opinion, and should not necessarily be taken as repersentative of all Vegas games. It's the lowest limit game at the world's most famous card room so it definitely attracts complete newbies who are almost trying to lose money.Any 'good' poker player who knows how to play loose passive preFlop and tight aggressive postFlop can absolutely destroy this game for 4-8BB / hr.If your travelling to Vegas and normally play higher limits, I'd recommend dropping down just to play the $4-8 at the Bellagio -- its fun, easy, and a goldmine with no stress, no risk.

The $4-8 game at the Bellagio is a complete anomoly in my opinion, and should not necessarily be taken as repersentative of all Vegas games. It's the lowest limit game at the world's most famous card room so it definitely attracts complete newbies who are almost trying to lose money.Any 'good' poker player who knows how to play loose passive preFlop and tight aggressive postFlop can absolutely destroy this game for 4-8BB / hr.If your travelling to Vegas and normally play higher limits, I'd recommend dropping down just to play the $4-8 at the Bellagio -- its fun, easy, and a goldmine with no stress, no risk.
Planning on making my first trip to vegas this summer. Will do.

The Stardust is an old hotel, not the nicest place in Vegas but the 3/6 game is the loosest in town according to the locals. I tried it out while I was there, 15 hour session up 200 BB, pretty sweet. Some lady lost 1k while I was playin in the game, GROSS. I took some of it but she was BADD!!Jeff

I am going to give it to foxwoods (for us New Englanders) has some pretty lose tables at the 2/4 but there are some sharks in the waters. I generally look for the people with 600 bucks in from of them (and of course watch how they play) But I got lucky and won 240 bucks in three hours at the 2/4. People calling all the way to the river with 8 high. MY GOD YOU WOULD THINK IT WAS PARTY POKER

If you want to find the softest poker tables in the world, go to paris. I studied there for a semester and found out that french people just did not seem to have a grasp of the game at all. In general, it was easy to muscle people out of hands with a bluff, and the french players never seem to bluff. If they bet, they have it. It was like playing with a lot of old grannies that didnt want to lose their social security money and were too honest and sweet to lie and bluff at anyone.

<---- Another Emerald City Native.I was in Vegas in February and noticed the games during the day were very soft. (as are most of the games in our area at any given time) I'd play a few different rooms during the day, (I took lots of money from the stardust players btw) and then head over to Bellagio in the evening to play with the locals / crazies! I had lots of fun, paid for my entire trip and came back with double the BR I went down with.BTW, what rooms are you playing at here?

<---- Another Emerald City Native.I was in Vegas in February and noticed the games during the day were very soft. (as are most of the games in our area at any given time) I'd play a few different rooms during the day, (I took lots of money from the stardust players btw) and then head over to Bellagio in the evening to play with the locals / crazies! I had lots of fun, paid for my entire trip and came back with double the BR I went down with.BTW, what rooms are you playing at here?
Usually either Goldies or Parkers. Tulalip when I feel like 10-20.
  • 2 years later...

you will now find me donkin it up at one of South Seattles bowling alley card rooms playing 3-6, when time permits NL at the Tulalip is awesome, and when when I feel im at my best ill be playing mid limit at Muckleshoo

theres also spread limit at the Drift 2-40, good game I liked it alot